Pelton(Axis) vs S2_Tanker Axis Victory Resigned

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

marion61

RE: : Pelton vs S2_Tanker Invasion #8

Post by marion61 »

How would Holland have bad air cover? It's closer to English bases than any other place. And Brittany is not out of air cover either. The only real draw back to Brittany is that it's so far away from Germany and it takes time to get rolling. I've never wasted my time invading Normandy, as it would cause a lot of casualties to break out of the hedgerows and your on a narrow front. An invasion needs to spread the axis defenders out so that they have a 9-10 hex front when you land, where ever you land, but close enough to one another so you can support one another.

I've never invaded near Le Havre, but Calais is actually a better place to invade France. It's close to Germany, and if you look at the map you can create a fairly long line between Dieppe and Boulogne, and it's close to your air cover.
Peltonx

RE: Pelton vs S2_Tanker invasion 9 and 10!

Post by Peltonx »

6 PD near by so should go quickly

Attachments
North.jpg
North.jpg (262.68 KiB) Viewed 283 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

No port even close, but could suck up allot of my units.

Attachments
south.jpg
south.jpg (191.5 KiB) Viewed 283 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

That last invasion could be a real pain for you. If the Allies invade their and use one of their Mulberries, they could actually be in better supply position than the Axis with the proper bombing. They will have to develop some local airfields as quickly as possible though. It is a better place with two or more invasion groups and both Mulberries.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

The only problem is that with his forces being so spread out, that Pelton can just keep him tied down with a few Panzer units. He won't have enough force in any one area to make a good push to break the axis lines, plus I'm betting Pelton hasn't taken a lot of casualties this game and it's already the end of July 44, which means the axis manpower crunch won't hit very hard till the last month or two.

The military axiom that applies here is, "don't divide your forces to attack". To defeat the axis forces which are better than allied units, you need overwhelming force to accomplish this, concentrated in one or two areas. The more invasions you do, the more frontage you have to take, which equates to less men available if you do find the soft spot.

Also not bleeding the axis dry during the first year, along with manpower bombing, means that the axis armies will be better manned when you do start to push. Unfortunately you have to take casualties, to make casualties, and for the allies it's a tough balance between this.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: meklore61

The military axiom that applies here is, "don't divide your forces to attack". To defeat the axis forces which are better than allied units, you need overwhelming force to accomplish this, concentrated in one or two areas. The more invasions you do, the more frontage you have to take, which equates to less men available if you do find the soft spot.

I think this is fundamental, secondary invasions have value - sometimes more as a threat as they stop an axis player fully concentrating, sometimes you can grab something that really helps the core campaign.

But the only way for the Allies to win (and in this respect I'm not thinking of the VP mechanisms) is to really concentrate, both offensive power on the ground and air power. You need to overwhelm the axis in very small areas of the front and hope all that adds up over time to major gains
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I was able to take back some hexes but WA's get a small breakthrough and Its getting dicey that I can hold the La Harve beachhead from breaking out or at least expanding the front.

I was able to hold the beachheads in Southern Italy, Northeastern Italy, Southern France, Brittany, Holland and Denmark.

The invasion spam works and so will just a France and Southern France invasion by late summer 44, but the spam invasion has a very high cost -1155 VP vs meklore's -600 VP.

If I simply with draw to Germany I have a minor win in the bag, but I will make him fight for everything to rack up the VP's

Attachments
center.jpg
center.jpg (255.94 KiB) Viewed 283 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
s2tanker

Post by s2tanker »

Well now, perhaps, just maybe, I can breakout and finally conduct the war of maneuver that I prefer.
Know the enemy and yourself...
marion61

Post by marion61 »

My opinion. 9th Army starts coming in in late Sept. I'd shove every division you get from now on onto the Le Havre beach head and hammer his ground forces with air. My problem is that I let the score get higher than I normally do. When we started this game I was still trying to balance out my air strategy, and if we had to start over now, the score would be a lot closer to zero. Balancing the air war needs, with the ground attack needs is where I'm having the most trouble. You need bombing points till your city points catch up and you can afford to take some casualties, but I learned this a little too late.

I'm not sure how many casualties you've caused the axis forces to this point, but it can't be a great deal. If he's not close to a million casualties by now, then his manpower is probably not in that bad a shape. You have him spread out, now just concentrate on one place and you'll have some maneuver room.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I come from the Eastern Front and you always attack first and try to keep the upper hand so Rommel orders 19th Army the cream of Germany to drive this Horde from Mordor back into the sea.

Not bad results for the first week of the offensive, your not going any place son [:-]

BUT back England as you can see by all the routed units.

Attachments
center.jpg
center.jpg (250.67 KiB) Viewed 283 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
marion61

Post by marion61 »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

I come from the Eastern Front and you always attack first and try to keep the upper hand so Rommel orders 19th Army the cream of Germany to drive this Horde from Mordor back into the sea.

I know I shouldn't encourage this, but this was just way to funny to not laugh at.[:D] The Mordor comment, not the misfortune of Tank's troops.
smokindave34

Post by smokindave34 »

Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't Pelton defending Mordor? I thought Pelton was the WITE/WITW equivalent of the "great eye".

Attachments
eyeofsauron.jpg
eyeofsauron.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 284 times
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I'd say that's a matter of perspective.[8D]
s2tanker

Post by s2tanker »

Seems the Allies got a bit of movement in Denmark -- the Germans were perhaps a tad too confident, given how quiet the Danish front was for the past month.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: chuckdevore

Seems the Allies got a bit of movement in Denmark -- the Germans were perhaps a tad too confident, given how quiet the Danish front was for the past month.

We just want more VP for major win and not a minor
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

I pulled allot of forces from Denmark to drive Horde from Mordor rom La Harve, but now they are on the way back.

Gandalf was able to cast a weather spell and we have lt rain and mud in August

[&o] Gandalf.

Attachments
North.jpg
North.jpg (229.1 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

WA manage to take back a few hex and Rommel wins them back.

A good struggle.

I would like to keep things bottled up until October, but we will see.

The Horde from Mordor grows stronger everyday.

Attachments
center.jpg
center.jpg (271.36 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

Maybe I'm mistaken but isn't Pelton defending Mordor? I thought Pelton was the WITE/WITW equivalent of the "great eye".

No no.

Germany is out numbered and out gunned just like Gondor.

and

What is wrong with the all knowing all seeing eye of Pelton?

Hmm like to put that under my name, can u send me a picture and I try and figure out how to make it so.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
s2tanker

Post by s2tanker »

I you look carefully at the tower it spells "Pelton" in Orcish.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

If you become the all seeing eye you'll have to change your name to Pelron! And you'll be worshiped by thousands of "porcs", "prolls", and "PelWraiths"!

How's your front look in Italy? Is Tank having a tough time supplying the troops over there?

Return to “After Action Reports”