What other WCS game(s) do you own?

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: ericbabe, Gil R.

aaatoysandmore

RE: What other WCS game(s) do you own?

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I have your Forge of Freedom and I like the random battles in it a lot more than the canned scenarios of your new game Brother against Brother so I won't be buying that one. I'm still holding out an hoping and waiting on an ancients or medieval game by you guys. You have a great design and development just in the wrong periods that I like.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

We'd love to do an ancients game someday, since I'm a real, living, breathing ancient historian, and Eric likes that stuff too. Any such project would have to be several years in the future, though.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I just want to throw in my two cents and say I really enjoyed Conflict of Heroes, too. I never bought Storm of Steel, but the work you did to improve the quality of the maps and adding more of the boardgame rules was very commendable, and made an already good game great.

Anyway, onwards to more Brother Against Brother!! I hope this series continues to thrive and get the polish and more content it deserves.
Charly G

Post by Charly G »

ORIGINAL: Charly G

I've Forge of Freedom and Conflict of Heroes (AtB,GD and SoS). These are very good games.
I'm interested by the new game but I don't know if I will take it now.
No problem with Forge of Freedom but the forum silence for Conflict of Heroes has disappointed me.

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

In response to the disaffected COH customer: After COH was released I did months of full time work on patches that added features to the game in response to customer feedback, during which time I was very active in the forum there. We don't really see a big increase in sales from such work, so I was basically doing months of unpaid labor for the benefit of COH fans. I don't mind this so much since I hope that our fan-base will be grateful for the extra work, and I try to work hard to build customer loyalty. But I cannot work for free forever; gratitude does not buy shoes for my children. I try to spend a few months being active in our game forums after release, but we have now released seven games, and if I tried to be active in all their forums it would be a full time job.

With regard to the support for the modding document, I did begin work on a summary of this, but the code for the AI scripts is extremely technical and I found that it was taking me much, much longer than I had originally anticipated. When I looked at the forum and saw that some of the best mods created by the fans -- with custom graphics and excellent playability -- had only been downloaded by less than a dozen people, I realized then that I simply couldn't afford to spend another week of unpaid full-time work supporting something in which only ten people seemed to have had an interest. I'm sorry if our poster in this thread was one of those ten people. I hope our fans in general will understand that though I will do my best to add requested features and to tweak the games in response to feedback after release, my capacity for this is not infinite, and sometimes when I say that I will add some feature or another I shall not always be able to do it.

Thank you for these explanations. They allowed me to buy your new game today.
I hope good sales for you and see new battles (1862,1863,1864) in the future.

budd

Post by budd »

I own all the COH games and i'm happy with my purchase. I just wish that the board game maps were available in all the firefights, and you didn't have to download the high rez maps with every update. Why does every update have to be over a gig to download. Can't you update your setup release or something.Otherwise Overall i am very happy with the COH series, its a shame it won't continue.

As far as BvsB is concerned i did balk at the price. I loaded money into paypal and was ready to purchase and couldn't pull the trigger. We all have arbitrary lines we draw and price points in our minds when making our purchase choices. I read civil war books and watch civil war films but have never been able to get into a civil war game, and i've tried..don't know why as i have a great interest in the period. Worth is subjective at best, and it's not just price it's price vs time and do i really want to spend $50 bucks on something i may or may not take to, so i'm on the fence at this point. what originally attracted me to the game was the scale and those damn fine maps[kudos to the map maker] and thats what will keep it on my radar. I need to see more[youtube videos and AAR's] and read more opinions from end users about how it plays and the replayability of the scenario's. Things like unit count in larger scenarios[not into pushing dozens and dozens of counters anymore], is there a free deploy option in any scenario's, do the scenario's give you enough time to maneuver, and do the scenarios play out the same every time[scripted AI] and is the game fun and why. The game looks great and the scale is right in my wheelhouse, but i have more than a few games that I bought that look great and i was never able to get into.Just my 2 cents....Damn those maps look cool.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I have to agree with budd, the price stopped me cold. I've been looking forward to this for years, but $65+ shipping is just too much. Why is the box copy $15 more than download?
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

I have to agree with budd, the price stopped me cold. I've been looking forward to this for years, but $65+ shipping is just too much. Why is the box copy $15 more than download?

Copied from Matrix info

The Best of Both Worlds Digital Downloads and Physical Shipment!
When you select this option you can use our digital download option to get the game right away and start playing. Then have a boxed copy of the game shipped to you as a backup for permanent storage. With a backup, you'll be prepared for whatever comes your way-whether it's a system crash, a computer virus damaging your files or the software simply no longer functioning as it should. You will be billed to have the game shipped in a printed DVD box with a printed DVD and your serial number.
Our Physical Editions and Printed Manuals...
We give each game an "edition" logo to tell you what the physical boxed copy will contain. Once you know these definitions, you can know at a glance whether a game comes with a PDF or printed manual in the boxed copy.

Collector's Edition: This edition comes with a full color printed box, full color printed DVD (with your order number and serial number printed on it), a Printed full color manual and a PDF E-Book indexed manual.

PS: I usually buy the boxed copy with the free download. I want to play right away but I'm an old Grognard who feels better if I have a hardcopy in my hands. [;)]
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Thanks Yogi, but I knew all that. Box copies used to be $10 more. Why is it now $15?
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Thanks Yogi, but I knew all that. Box copies used to be $10 more. Why is it now $15?

Maybe they will be able to give a better answer. I don't know the answer or if it is the same for all games but perhaps increased costs (inflation) or the large full color illustrated manual also has an affect??
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

The boxed copies contain a 200-page color manual -- so the extra $15 covers the costs of box+DVD+manual. (And possibly shipping, though I have no clue if shipping is extra, and figure that you would already know if that's the case.)

Unfortunately, Erik Rutins is off this coming week, since he would be able to explain the costs in greater detail. But the printing cost for that manual is certainly the lion's share of the additional expense.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

This is the case for all of our boxed copies which include a full color printed manual, to cover the cost of the printing, box, packing, which is done in relatively small quantities or on demand.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

The ones with non-color manuals or no printed manual still are, but color manuals are all $15 at this point.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

P.S. I had better note that of those 200 pages just 80 are what would count as a manual, and the rest is OOB's and Bill Battle's lengthy accounts of the battles.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I can't resist. It looks to good.
budd

Post by budd »

I can't resist. It looks to good.
get to playing, and giving opinions[;)].
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

I got Forge of Freedom when it was on one of the early Weekly Discount's but I haven't had much time to get to learn the game. Brother Against Brother I've poured a pretty good amount of time into already and I have found it far more approachable than FOF. I still want to get into FOF and I'm sure I will at some point but I just haven't had the time yet and BAB has been very easy to learn for me.
Willderyes

Post by Willderyes »

This is also my first. WCS game that is. I'm 67 years old and I refuse to grow up. I teethed on Avalon-Hill's Gettysburg when I was 11. I know, the game specifically said it was for 12 years and older. It now sits on a shelf in a well worn box. The map-board is displayed in a frame on the wall.

Glad to see a quality game that brings history to life.

My first question is that now the Sword has been Drawn, will there be more scenario's for the rest of the war?
A plan is only good until I wake up in the morning.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes sooner or later as it's a series, not yes known if they will be battles, dlc or addons etc etc, as no word, but yes to more battles anyway
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Willderyes

I teethed on Avalon-Hill's Gettysburg when I was 11.
Me too, c. 1962, when I was 9!
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Steelwarrior7

Post by Steelwarrior7 »

I own these two gems ;-D
Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition
Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

But I would not buy a game without a long campaign mode, plans to add one?

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”