Desert War 1940-3

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

baloo7777

RE: Desert War 1940-3

Post by baloo7777 »

Hello. Before my computer went down I had downloaded and played a round of this wonderful game. I just downloaded it (twice) again. But when I try to start it nothing happens. The web site says to use start.exe, but I do not see that file, and the batch file(s) that are there will not start it. Any ideas? I would pay for this and am not looking for a free ride, but don't see any mention of a price. [:(]
JRR
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

JRR,

I would help if I could. But all I did was extract to a folder and all sits in there including a “very small..” start.exe” which then does fire up the programme just fine.

I use Windows 7..

Now.. just checking but has your anti-virus grabbed the start.exe when you fired it up and put it in quarantine..?

With new executables.. such a new wargames my Bitdefender does just that often until I tell it to stop.. and restore the file.

All the best,
Kip.
PS am in UK must close for the night..

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Thanks for the info. I cannot get it to work for me. I had an issue with my win 8 comp and it has been a problem getting some things to work right again. No doubt it's my computer. Too bad. It worked previously for me, before the crash.
JRR
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

s for the info. I cannot get it to work for me. I had an issue with my win 8 comp and it has been a problem getting some things to work right again. No doubt it's my computer. Too bad. It worked previously for me, before the crash.
Hi baloo777, is your java installed?
Can you do "java -version" from a command prompt (i.e. write "cmd" in the window's start "search programs and files"?

If you double click on "startGameWithConsole.bat", it will try to start and show any error.
If you get any, can you email them to me please?
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: kipanderson

For me a big attraction of operational games is the feeling of “running knee deep in mud...”. By which I mean that you cannot just throw around an infantry battalion the way you can shout orders at an infantry squad. You I have to try and think ahead. Orders delay also gives a realistic bonus to player who surprises his enemy. Because his enemy cannot just “perfectly..” adjust everything immediately.
Yes, I've been thinking about that. Perhaps based on unit quality...

However it'll be stuck on the "future wish list" as it's the AI / GUI next!
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth
s for the info. I cannot get it to work for me. I had an issue with my win 8 comp and it has been a problem getting some things to work right again. No doubt it's my computer. Too bad. It worked previously for me, before the crash.
Hi baloo777, is your java installed?
Can you do "java -version" from a command prompt (i.e. write "cmd" in the window's start "search programs and files"?

If you double click on "startGameWithConsole.bat", it will try to start and show any error.
If you get any, can you email them to me please?

Thanks. I will take some time later to look at what is happening and send any info to you (sorry, I will be out for several hours tonight). Thank you so much for your quick support. I played the game a little and thought it has major "fun" potential!
JRR
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Great to see the new version up. Follow with huge interest, this is going to develop into an incredible game system.

BTW.. am unable to post over on the Old Wargamer forum.. even when happily logged in. The dialogue box will not accept any input from me.. cannot get the window to accept anything I type or text I attempt to copy in. Have no problems anywhere else. Windows 7 64. Internet Explorer.

All the best,
Kip.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

For me a big attraction of operational games is the feeling of “running knee deep in mud...”. By which I mean that you cannot just throw around an infantry battalion the way you can shout orders at an infantry squad. You I have to try and think ahead. Orders delay also gives a realistic bonus to player who surprises his enemy. Because his enemy cannot just “perfectly..” adjust everything immediately.
Yes, I've been thinking about that. Perhaps based on unit quality...

However it'll be stuck on the "future wish list" as it's the AI / GUI next!

Have to agree on the priority order but I like the idea of delayed reaction to orders based on the leader/quality of the unit. The delay should also probably be related to the country based on the form of communication; example in 1940 German planes/tanks all had radios allowing them to work together which has an immediate impact in battle but also in how quickly they could react to new orders....
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Hi,

Great to see the new version up. Follow with huge interest, this is going to develop into an incredible game system.

BTW.. am unable to post over on the Old Wargamer forum.. even when happily logged in.
Cheers. There's a new version up again that allows Air Recon missions to be ordered during the setup phase. Lots of little steps on the road to getting it finished.

ORIGINAL: Tejszd
Have to agree on the priority order but I like the idea of delayed reaction to orders based on the leader/quality of the unit. The delay should also probably be related to the country based on the form of communication; example in 1940 German planes/tanks all had radios allowing them to work together which has an immediate impact in battle but also in how quickly they could react to new orders....
Yes, interesting idea. Might also delay (or even cancel) actions due to low Readiness You can order an attack but it might not happen if the troops are too tired.
Anyway next is the "wait" order and adding an abstracted Long Range Desert Group so it'll be a while before I even think about that. [:)]
governato

Post by governato »

Just a quick note that I had the opportunity to test play one of the scenario with one of the developers and I have found the game really fun and rewarding to play.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Found the need the ensure that Java is fully updated, but otherwise the game works well.

Thank you for the continued updates and for adding another good game into the WEGO wargaming world, it is such a realistic and interesting way to play and such a relief from the un-manageable monsters around right now.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

Found the need the ensure that Java is fully updated, but otherwise the game works well.

Thank you for the continued updates and for adding another good game into the WEGO wargaming world, it is such a realistic and interesting way to play and such a relief from the un-manageable monsters around right now.[:)]

+ 1

Very well done! [&o]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Thanks!

By the way, there's a new Pacific War scenario / Mod here:
http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/peleliu.html

Still working on the AI so it's a human-human scenario.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Small issue, but I have reversed the mine icons, into red icon for active (dangerous) and black icons for breached minefield. Easy to do, nice to be able to have access. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Good idea! Will switch those minefields images around.
rhinobones

Desert War Priorities

Post by rhinobones »

Ruth

You are creating exciting times in the world of WEGO war gaming. Thank you for your efforts.

I've read thru most of the postings and one thing I haven't seen is a list of your priorities. Would appreciate seeing your short list of features and functionality that you find most important and some words on where you ultimately want Desert War to go.

My personal wish list includes rivers, bridges, air drops, amphibious capability and functionality for introducing variability in troop and objective deployment.

Best Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
Saint Ruth

RE: Desert War Priorities

Post by Saint Ruth »

Hi RhinoBones,

Thanks for your interest!

At the moment, the priority is:
1) AI (scripted - ongoing)
2) Update GUI
3) Add more options to scenario editor

The new features will have to wait until that's done, but things on the to do list are the likes of:
- Night turns
- Weather
- LAN play
- unit breakdown/build up (i.e. break down a Battalion unit into companies)

By the way, rivers are already in the game (though not used in any of the scenarios), but I'll write down those suggestions and put them on the list.

As for "functionality for introducing variability in troop and objective deployment", do you mean scenarios randomly setting objectives on the map? And increasing / decreasing unit values at scenario start?

/Brian
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

As for "functionality for introducing variability in troop and objective deployment", do you mean scenarios randomly setting objectives on the map? And increasing / decreasing unit values at scenario start?

Like your road map, you've obviously planned for a long campaign.

I don't recall seeing rivers in the terrain folder, but since you already have them, that's another step taken.

My concept of variability has to do with enhancing game play by building scenarios where forces and objectives have sufficient built -in options that the possibility of playing the same game twice is virtually eliminated. Each side might be programmed with 30 divisions and 20 objectives but in any one game only six divisions and three objectives might appear. Objectives would not be point based but instead would impact reinforcements, supply, manufacturing or logistics depending on their retention, capture or destruction. Hadn't thought of increasing/decreasing unit values or capabilities as you mentioned, but I like it.

The point here is to build scenarios which present the players with military problems which have never before been encountered, the solution of which decides the victor. I can imagine a lot of games ending in a mutually agreed upon cease fire.

I love historical scenarios and admire the people who invest so much time and effort into building them, but even with the best historical scenarios one gets tired of the same forces, starting in the same places, going after the same old objectives, awarded points and doing this all in the same number of turns. Advanced Tactics has a feature for creating random scenarios which might provide ideas for future consideration.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

governato

Post by governato »

The functionality I would really like to see added is the possibility to add 'events' to the editor, so that the effect of changing weather and supply, capturing objectives, etc can be included by altering the general scenario parameters at any given turn. (TOAW is a good example of that)
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

The functionality I would really like to see added is the possibility to add 'events' to the editor, so that the effect of changing weather and supply, capturing objectives, etc can be included by altering the general scenario parameters at any given turn. (TOAW is a good example of that)

You are correct, TOAW is the prime example. You put it in better words than I did.

After seeing the work Ruth is doing, I suspect that should he decide to build an event editing into his design it will far exceed the capability of the archaic TOAW event editor.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

Return to “General Discussion”