Artillery same hex and cumulative smoke

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Jagger2002

Artillery same hex and cumulative smoke

Post by Jagger2002 »

More NOOBIE questions.

If I drop artillery on a hex containing both enemy and friendly troops, should I expect significant friendly casualties or just assume accuracy is such that my troops won't experience friendly fire?

Are the smoke effects on LOS cumulative? If I put three smoke barrages in the same hex at the same time, is the smoke barrage three times as effective as one smoke barrage? Is it more difficult to target a unit through 1 smoked hex or 2 smoked hexes? Or is one smoked hex just as good as any number of smoked hexes?
CapnDarwin

RE: Artillery same hex and cumulative smoke

Post by CapnDarwin »

1). Any units in a hex getting hit with artillery is subject to both readiness loss and subunit loss.
2). The current game engine only considers that the hex is smoked so more than one marker/mission may only effect how long the hex stays smoked. I need to verify that though.

Smoke blocks non thermal sighted units LOS passing through a hex and units in a hex have a degraded LOS in and out.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

Thanks!

So equal chances of any unit suffering damage if in a hex hit by artillery? It is not more likely that the enemy will be hit?

I now see the advantages of assaulting into a enemy occuppied hex when the other side has plenty of artillery.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Technically, a larger unit (one with more subunits) has a greater chance of taking losses and type of subunits matter as well. Tanks being more resilant than grunts.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

You also have to figure that even with accurate artillery, in a 500-meter hex, a barrage of rounds that has a kill radius of 50 meters (and splash damage twice that) has a good chance to injure friendlies. A barrage targeted at a hex next to one occupied by friendlies is considered "danger close", so Calling a mission in on a hex occupied by your own troops is not something you would normally want to do...
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

I will certainly call artillery into a hex when all I have is some infantry remnants being pounded to dust by about 20 T-80s... [;)]

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”