CSV Anyone?

Post here if you are looking for an opponent to play against.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Hyding

CSV Anyone?

Post by Hyding »

Campaign for South Vietnam.

It has been so long since I played this PBEM. Back in 2008 I think. Before 3.4 and the increased US commitment costs.
Catch me now before I start to remember the VC many spawn areas!

I'll take either side and am flexible on the optional rules. I'd like to use Curt's new test version so will need
to okay it if we use that. Interesting changes and super easy to load since there are no graphic changes.

I have limited time on TOAW 3.4 but I used to play a lot. I can at least promise to be more interesting than
AI Elmer. Plus I squeal when you beat me! Extra sound effects!
Raindem

RE: CSV Anyone?

Post by Raindem »

Did you ever get any takers?
Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

No I haven't. I have a brother-in-law interested but he is new and needs shorter simpler
games to hold his interest.

I have started times to begin a AAR against Elmer. I'd probably not carry it to completion (or at least not quickly)
if I got a PBEM game going.

Sapper32 is interested but overcommitted right now so that will be awhile.

I have not played much pbem since 2010 and my regular opponents are mostly inactive now.

I do owe you some comments and I have a log of them.

There are some changes you have made that I think are very elegant and will alter where, why and when actions occur. The Beta is not that large a change from the version released with TOAW 3.4 but it is very altered from the version that comes out of the box.For some reason my air losses have been much lighter than I expected based on sapper and Larry's experiences. I'm sure you don't remember form our games years ago but I tend to rely heavily on CAS and only use air units to directly attack enemy units very selectively and when numbers should get me results that will justify any loses. That is not always optimal play but it reduces losses. Even so losses are lower than I expected but I have not played very many turns into game and have avoided NLF air units.

I have concentrates on exploring what I get with various US commitment packages and what triggers early commitment penalties and the timeframes of those.

Overall it looks like the NLF has a very reduced chance of an automatic victory in the early turns but they can still create important successes in the first year if the Allied player does not react effectively. Most importantly the Allied player is far less likely to get a lock on the EEV clock in 1968-69 which is not that hard to do in the boxed version IMO.

I've always liked the "feel" of this scenario. I'm glad Bonnie Rat recommended it to me when I asked him which Viet Nam scenarios to play.

You state that you wanted to create something that approached the old Victory Games Viet Nam board game. This does a better job of that than anything else I have found using any computer game.

Hyding

Post by Hyding »

It seems that Curt and I will bee starting a PBEM game. It will be a very slow play game though due to commitments he has now.
So I can still take on another game with someone. It would probably be better if I took the NLF in the next game I start but
I will still take either side and use any optional rules.

I think I can give good players a run for their money. At the same time it has been a long time since I got much play into this game
so new players or those just new to this scenario should not be afraid to try out a friendly game.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”