Airbase !

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

worr

Airbase !

Post by worr »

I searched both manuals...looking for what the "!" means next to the airbase. I didn't find an explanation.

Does it mean something good or bad?
Joel Billings

RE: Airbase !

Post by Joel Billings »

Bad. It means you are overloaded on the airbase (more a/c than the capacity based on the size and type of aircraft). You should see a value over 100% in the rollover text next to the airbase info.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Look for 8.3.5. Air Base Unit Capacity and Support in the manual.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
worr

Post by worr »

Thanks guys. I've just purchased the game. Coming from Witp-AE.

After doing both tutorials I started with D-day...and, of course, I'm stuck on the beaches still in October. It is my temporary base at 78, 193 just outside of Caen. The roll over reads Size 2 (114%)/ Dam 50/ Det 1. My understanding is that is 114% capacity....50 damage...and detection level 1. Not sure why it has been damaged since I landed, it seems. I should repair, no?

I used the AI to relocate air groups but maybe what happened is I filled out some air groups later to 72 aircraft. There are three there...so too much for a size 2 field. So I'm expanding the base, but that will take a while. You would think the AI would correct that? I'm getting more comfortable doing things manually now.

One neat thing...I did an air superiority mission in the eastern Netherlands and netted a gaggle of Germans who have been camped out on that flight path for the better part of a month. Very cool!

Worr, out

worr

Post by worr »

From the rules:

"Air base load (capacity) percentage is shown in parentheses on the hex pop-up text for the air base unit after air base unit size. When the air base unit load percentage is over 100, an exclamation point will be added next to the airfield symbol."

I searched ! instead of exclamation.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”