Wish List thread

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: Gil R., ericbabe

Gil R.

Wish List thread

Post by Gil R. »

WCS always tries to enhance its titles after release by means of feature patches, so please use this thread as a place to make suggestions for what should be added. We will seriously consider every suggestion, and expect to be able to implement a significant number of them over time. Thank you very much.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Clinchrifles

RE: Wish List thread

Post by Clinchrifles »

Would be great to have a button to jump to the next brigade. While the screen zooms to the next brigade commander it would also show lines from him to all of that brigades regiments (hoi3 like). I think that would make things a little more user friendly. Thanks!
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

1. It would be very great to have the lines during firefights have an arrow on one end, showing who is attacking who. The arrow would point to who is being attacked. This will help folks like me who don't know the brigades/divisions by name, and I can't tell if the Union or Confederates are attacking.

2. A suggestion taken from the excellent game Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm.

When the OOB is open, you can click on a brigade or whatever, and it will highlight the unit on the map.

Please add the reverse of this, so when you click on a unit on the map, that unit is highlighted in the OOB list. This is a very useful feature in Flashpoint Campaigns, and I have never seen such an elegant UI for an OOB before. It just makes the OOB so easy to use and find anything you want, either from the OOB list or by clicking on units on the map and seeing where they are in the OOB list.

BaB is so good in so many places, I really think this addition will just add to that greatness.
Franchot

Post by Franchot »

ORIGINAL: Clinchrifles

Would be great to have a button to jump to the next brigade.

Second vote for a click-able button to move to the next unit instead of using the keyboard.
spelk

Post by spelk »

An option to set the zoom level of the map, whilst resolving combat. At the moment, the game zooms out to the fullest extent and the visually appealing "reveal" of each combat is seen at a distance so that the "feel" of the combat is lost.

I'd like to be down "in the action", rather than see the combat arrows from such a high vantage point. The combat reveal is the main joy of planning attacks, clicking end turn and watching the outcome. At times I can't tell which way the combat resolution arrow points, because the zoom level is so far out.

Setting a slider option for zoom level, would allow people to take in all the battlefield, or to see that actual unit combat in all its smoky glory :)
oldspec4

Post by oldspec4 »

ORIGINAL: spelk

An option to set the zoom level of the map, whilst resolving combat. At the moment, the game zooms out to the fullest extent and the visually appealing "reveal" of each combat is seen at a distance so that the "feel" of the combat is lost.

I'd like to be down "in the action", rather than see the combat arrows from such a high vantage point. The combat reveal is the main joy of planning attacks, clicking end turn and watching the outcome. At times I can't tell which way the combat resolution arrow points, because the zoom level is so far out.

Setting a slider option for zoom level, would allow people to take in all the battlefield, or to see that actual unit combat in all its smoky glory :)

+1 for my old eyes..
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

my wish list before i get off on hols is for everyone to enjoy it, and enough buy it that the developers can do another one, as i do like my war games [:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

What about a "undo" button?
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

ORIGINAL: spelk

+1 for my old eyes..

+2 for me, too. I really don't like how the combat resolution phase zooms so far out, and I can't the names of the units or anything. If anything, it should zoom in to show the two units engaging. Then, zoom to the next set of units engaging. I don't know enough about the Civil War to know what side the units are on just by their name. Being able to see exactly what unit is attacking what unit, and their name and flag would help me get my bearings, and know if my guys are attacking, or if the enemy is attacking. For me, this is the weakest part of the game right now.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

I'll reply to this here as well:

We found early on that zooming out actually gave the player much better awareness of how the battle was unfolding. After each combat, a line is drawn showing which units are exchanging fire. Casualty numbers are also displayed above them if appropriate and a combat report tells you which units were involved.

There are two more planned improvements for this post-release. First, to add the flag next to the unit name in the combat report so that some cases where you have, for example, the East Tennessee unit firing on the Tennessee unit are less confusing.

The second is an option to stay zoomed in during combat.

You'll only get the full sounds and casualties showed if there was actually some damage caused. In some cases a unit wants to fire, but is unable to due to order limitations, or it's out of effective range. The end of turn report should explain this.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

A bit OT: is it possible to get the "printer friendly" manual printed with one page per sheet
instead of two, like in the e-book version? Multi-page printing is supported in the reader,
if the customer wants it. I personally prefer larger letters, single page per sheet.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

There are two more planned improvements for this post-release. First, to add the flag next to the unit name in the combat report so that some cases where you have, for example, the East Tennessee unit firing on the Tennessee unit are less confusing.

These two additions should really help! They are my biggest issues with the game so far, and both will be fixed! Excellent!
spelk

Post by spelk »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is excellent news Erik! Thanks for letting us know about it.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Refined Group Move

From reading the manual I'm assuming a group move will move all the units concerned directly towards the selected hex from their individual current locations. If that is the case it would be good to have an alternative for use within normal movement range (ie the movement hex grid) where all the group could be ordered to follow the specific path of the lead unit which the player would order hex by hex to its destination. This would greatly ease player workload and speed up group movements when moving brigades, divisions etc along roads and trails without having to order each unit in turn along each hex of the chosen thoroughfare.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Random Battles

As previously requested it would be good to have the option in a future BAB release of random battles using a points system by choosing generic units within a selected army type eg early, mid and late USA/CSA with eastern and western variants.
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

I'd wish for a replacement of the current weather/sound to an addition of a small weather window up top next to the other small windows. I could then see the weather at a glance, ect, without it being a burden.
spelk

Post by spelk »

Echelon coloured shapes on Chits

At the moment the Echelon colours only work for the sprite graphics option, there are no difference between the Generals and the brigades (circles and rectangles) when displayed on the chits (all rectangles).
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Vyper

I'd wish for a replacement of the current weather/sound to an addition of a small weather window up top next to the other small windows. I could then see the weather at a glance, ect, without it being a burden.

I think the current weather shows up in text at the upper right of the screen.

Thanks
Rick
spelk

Post by spelk »

Combat reports structured to have pertinent detail at top

Instead of a scrollable log of turns first, I think this sort of format would be more useful to players (just free thinking here):

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Attacker [Flag] vs Defender [Flag]

Attacker [Flag] Casualties: nnn , Defender [Flag] Casualties: nnn
Attacker [Flag] Morale: nnn (loss) , Defender [Flag] Morale: nnn (loss)

Scrollable list of Attacks and their outcomes, possible tabulated

Modifiers and what not
-----------------------------------------------------------------

In fact you could have a shorthand info line pop up (like already does) but with

[Flag] Losses / Morale (loss) = [Flag] Losses / Morale (loss)

Essentially, you want your player to be able to take the result of combat immediately, so they can assess what went wrong, or right and begin planning again.

If they need more info, then the Battle report and scrollable "drill down" of events come into play.

Most the time, I look at the end of turn summary, and have to scroll half-way down the events, just to get the overall casualties and morale loss numbers. I hardly ever sift through the voluminous events list above it all. No doubt there may come a time when I want to, but I think quick, easy to read, battle outcome summaries are very helpful, and all the other info is available if we need it.

Anyway, just a thought.

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

WCS always tries to enhance its titles after release by means of feature patches, so please use this thread as a place to make suggestions for what should be added. We will seriously consider every suggestion, and expect to be able to implement a significant number of them over time. Thank you very much.

ANCIENTS expansion pak!![:'(]

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”