Good ground v's bad ground

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

zakblood

Good ground v's bad ground

Post by zakblood »

Map picture shows a typical battle terrain layout, with troops spread out,

red cirlces is nice ground for CSA defence as it's behind a shore line but in the open so not great either but better than where most are placed atm.

green is open ground, so no cover what so ever and no bonus, so poor ground for defending on, but good to attack over.

yellow is the wood line, gives some cover to some units, so is better than open ground, place units here with line & skirmishes out and get a bonus for your trouble so is good to defend in and attack from.

red box is good ground as it gives height bonus, if it has tree's on it as well then even better, for defending and attacking on.

learn to use the terrain and give ground if the terrain is poor,even if a VL is placed on it, as if you loose enough men you will be pushed off it anyway, better to hold good ground then retake VL once most of the fighting is done :)

all maps can be download at full size, so study the ground and know when to fight and when not to, with this in mind you will pay less for what you have under you nearly all of the time, random roles makes it a % chance better or worse, but holding and fighting on the better terrain is key to winning with less losses.

first tip of the day[&o][&o][&o]
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (436.64 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
VigaBrand

RE: Good ground v's bad ground

Post by VigaBrand »

Hi,
can ypu explain the red circles?
Why is it better to stand behind the shore line and not on it?

Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

I think Zakblood might have circled some hexes that should not have been, but only because due to the width of the creek it is difficult to see that there are strips of light woods drawn along its edges in several of the "shore" hexes, and that will block line-of-sight from/into the red-circled hexes. I guess that makes these good positions, in that the CSA units can be positioned there and escape fire from the enemy on the other side of the creek, but of course it's impossible to fire at them as well.

(Using the mouse-over function to see a hex's terrain will, of course, tell you if a hex is considered to have light woods, so you can check on the ones that were circled.)
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
VigaBrand

Post by VigaBrand »

Hi,
thanks. I will do that.

EDIT:
You are right, some are light forests.
And I see a second problem, the "mouse-over" function shows me, that on some hexes are enemy units. That shouldn't be, or can I change some optins?
I see no flag that indicates, that a enemy unit is there, but the mouse-over function shows me "undedected unit".
(I only start the game and look at the ground)

Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

If a unit is invisible you shouldn't be able to get info on it by mousing over it. Is this happening just in this scenario? And you're saying it happens at the start of the scenario? No one has ever reported this sort of thing.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
VigaBrand

Post by VigaBrand »

Hi,
I open a new thread in the tech support for that. Should be more in this subforum.
With screenshot.

zakblood

Post by zakblood »

the circles show what is around the area, and from there you see good ground, great ground and also what's not so good as attacking and defending on
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)

Return to “The War Room”