how detailed is the editor?

Post new mods and scenarios here.
zakblood

how detailed is the editor?

Post by zakblood »

just wondered if anyone wants to post some shots of the editor for me to look at, as i'd like to know how detailed and easy to use it is, been wondering about buying this for a while now, and seen some good maps for it, but modding tools i's like more info on first if someone can help, many thanks...

posted in the modding section as i'd like a modder to reply where possible as no every one mods games or uses tools etc[&o][&o][&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
PipFromSlitherine

RE: how detailed is the editor?

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

The editor is very similar to (being based on) the BA2 one. Obviously you can build maps, set up troops, etc. It also (for example) includes the ability to generate random maps to then populate with troops, set reinforcements, lay text markers, etc.

It's the tool we use to build the content, so basically you can do everything [:)]

If you want to do more complex stuff then you can also script scenario or campaign specific behaviours. Richard provides excellent help on how to hook in to the main game logic, mostly over on the game's main (Slitherine) forums.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ok ty for the info, will pop over and go looking now, thanks again[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
troopie

Post by troopie »

Can you create new units from scratch? On mine you have to replace one of the armies already there.

Dankie,

troopie
Pamwe Chete
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

ORIGINAL: troopie

Can you create new units from scratch?

The short answer is yes.

How much work it involves depends on what you mean by "from scratch".

You can make entirely new units with new models if you skills are up to it, but it is easier to make new units using existing models.

See http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 22&t=53873

The only thing I would correct in GuyFawcett's guide re adding new units, is that the IDS_UNITNAMEnnn string is the string that is displayed on the screen. It does not have to be the same as the UnitName in the Squads.csv file, nor does it have to be unique. It can include spaces. The UnitName in the Squads.csv file cannot include spaces, you need to use underscores for that, and it must be unique.

You don't need to do so to make a new unit in the squads file, but if you do decide to make a copy of a model under a different name, you should be aware that the models (.s4f files) have an internal reference to match the unit up with the appropriate texture. You cannot edit this in the editor, so the unit will display the texture for the cloned unit when seen in the editor. To edit the texture reference in the model, you need the .s3f version of the file, which is not supplied with the game, but which I can supply you. You would need to PM me on the Slitherine board.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”