German Construction Bn's

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

vandorenp

German Construction Bn's

Post by vandorenp »

I'd like to understand the scenario design rationales for placement of the construction bn's in Corps HQ.

I suspect the placements are historically accurate. That is great.
I suspect historically these units supporting Corps had several roles such as tending and mending roads and doing similar things for other infrastructure. In this game these functions do not take place. These units sole role is RR repair.

When attached to a Corps the units will not be deployed more than 5 hexes from the Corps.
RR repair only takes place at the end of the working line.
The Corps HQ will quickly advance beyond 5 hexes of the end of the working line.
Consequently the construction units are "do nothings" in the Corps HQ.

Game-wise why do I have to expend admin points to return these to Higher HQ?

Keydet
swkuh

RE: German Construction Bn's

Post by swkuh »

Understand RR repair is important function and that when the corps is advanced beyond RR head corps CBs will not help RR. But don't they help with entrenchments of corp HQs &/or attached divisions? Yes, there are plenty of CBs at corps HQ and moving them around is onerous.

BTW, any thoughts in re the different CBs, road repair, bridge builders, ordinary CBs?
vandorenp

Post by vandorenp »

I have to admit I skimmed some parts of the rules and find out later I missed an important rule. So I am not remembering anything but RR repair. I think they still help with fortresses too.
Keydet
rjs28023

Post by rjs28023 »

These construction battalions in Corps HQ's help all units in the Corps entrench quicker. For that reason alone I like having them.

Randy
Randy
vandorenp

Post by vandorenp »

ORIGINAL: rjs28023

These construction battalions in Corps HQ's help all units in the Corps entrench quicker. For that reason alone I like having them.

Randy
Do a lot entrenching as the Germans in the first 2 months? Interesting!
Keydet
morvael

Post by morvael »

Since you etrench after move, it may be useful to defend against occassional Soviet counter attacks (they do happen if you take some particularly important - for them - hex with just one division).
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

Next time someone mentions they help with building forts,
I would like the person to post the construction value of these units ...

rjs28023

Post by rjs28023 »

I do not know the construction value. Some calculations are "under the hood" and not disclosed.

It is enough for me to know they assist in building forts, especially in the late war Campaigns and Scenarios were the Axis are on the defensive.

Randy

Attachments
ConstructionUnits.jpg
ConstructionUnits.jpg (122.47 KiB) Viewed 137 times
Randy
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Starting from the map, go to info tab (above), then commanders report, then unit tab, select any unit type you wish from the list at the bottom, say "constr" pick one, they will all be listed, and then, and then, the unit composition will appear, and in the lower right, your dream come true, the construction value is displayed. Several other ways to get the construction value displayed.

Why don't you figure out a few and post your results. I speak in this manner because I am sensing a threat to my status as "whiner in chief" and I don't want to give up my spot.

All remarks made in jest, for entertainment value, thank you, oh thank you
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

game tip , construction value depends also on supplies on hand so the highest figures are in those units with 100% or more supplies.

The help that these batalion size unit provide is so small ,that you are better off having them repair the tracks.

the soviets however are on defensive in 1941-1942 and their big eng -sapper bde , rail repair bde really
help .

swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Construction battalions (may be assigned to HQs by player) are not support units (intrinsic to various sorts of game pieces.) Maybe they help in the same way, maybe not. Anyone know?

And then, as earlier posted, for Axis, there's O.T.s, RADs, Bridge Builders, Road Builders, and plain CBs. One would hope that the names mean something.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yeah, RAD and OT have higher construction value :)
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

stands for
Organisation Todt and Reichsarbeitsdienst.

Afaik no.

size and morale do matter and imho OT and RAD morale is just right .

late war , when the axis is on defensive, one could strip the FBD of regimental size units and place them under corps .

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”