Silvermist rebuff

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Kingah

Silvermist rebuff

Post by Kingah »

Do you remember the days when the whole galaxy lived in fear of the nutorious Silvermists?
At least I do. I'm not sure if they became nerfed but in some way they became less of a threat.

I remember one of my most fav games ever was when ONE silvermist destroyed an entire galaxy on scale 800 stars.
All that was left of my once glorious empire (around 20 colonies) was reduced to one or two low quality planets at the edge of the galaxy. I want this to be able to happen again.

I failed to find any mods that do this for me so I figured i'd have a go at it myself. However, i have no idea where I can edit the creatures. Any ideas? :P
CyclopsSlayer

RE: Silvermist rebuff

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Silvermist, hmm now that you mention it I haven't seen one in quite a while.
I used to live in terror of those. Had a system go dark one time and when I sent a force there were like a dozen of the damned things there. Sphincter Factor 9 let me tell you...
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

My question was where is the creature file located? I can't find it anywhere.
mordachai

Post by mordachai »

It is a random from investigating ruins.

I've had them in 4 games so far - and in every one, either I killed them immediately (easy target), or they killed off the local population and I never heard from them again. I sent fleets... but couldn't find any trace of the silvermist.

So I figure it must be designed so that it disappears on its own, after a while. (not terribly scary, which is weird, considering their description)
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Sorry, can't provide any help on how to mod them.

I did, however, want to add my voice to the Silvermist nostalgia. I used to have plenty of games where those things "ate a hole in the stars." You'd zoom out and could immediately see where the infestation was, as there was a noticeable gap in the habitation of the galaxy. Nothing dared venture where the demons dwelled.

I haven't seen that in a while though. Maybe the Ai got better at fighting them?
Kingah

Post by Kingah »

Seems like I'm alone in my modding quest then. However, I am glad to see I'm not the only one with a Silvermist nostaliga. Always nice to see people with similar memories [:'(]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: mordachai

It is a random from investigating ruins.

I've had them in 4 games so far - and in every one, either I killed them immediately (easy target), or they killed off the local population and I never heard from them again. I sent fleets... but couldn't find any trace of the silvermist.

So I figure it must be designed so that it disappears on its own, after a while. (not terribly scary, which is weird, considering their description)

Actually, I've found them happily eating other empires. And they can get big.

Luck of the draw thing I guess.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Space monsters where a threat in DW vanilla too.Now they are nothing.
BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Isn't this more down to the AI getting better in handling silvermist and space monsters though?
If Remembered right, on game release, ships would go at zero to space monsters and get destroyed pretty quickly unless you had all stance settings at max range, and plus your ships wouldn't auto retreat due to it being based on shield damage, which space monsters didn't do
When silvermist first came about, ships (mainly AI empire ones) would engage like it was a normal space monster, but couldn't damage it due to having no Ion weapons

Ofc, now pirates are around with alot of them preferring at least 1 Ion weapon fitted (at least in my experience), meaning they'll make short work of silvermist unless it gets lucky and grows large/numerous enough to overrun pirates
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

Return to “Design and Modding”