[MANY IMPROVEMENTS ADDED v1.09] ASW helicopter - strange behavior

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

BigDuke66

[MANY IMPROVEMENTS ADDED v1.09] ASW helicopter - strange behavior

Post by BigDuke66 »

I'm just doing "Operation Vantage" and my ASW helicopters worked fine with the mission I had set, but than I had 2 contacts outside from my search area and moved the search areas over them.
But the behavior I see now that some sub contacts showed up is very contra productive.

First the helicopters fly to the area on full speed what rockets their fuel consumption sky high so that they can't do anything when entering the search area as they are almost Bingo on fuel. And this although the transit is set to cruise, but also between the sonar dippings they sprint at full speed instead of loiter like they did it without a sub contact.

Than they set waypoints on the edge of the predicted area of the contact, I guess usually fine for a sub but one of the sub contacts had for what ever reason a huge prediction area so that they set waypoints far outside their range.
Even manual course setting using F3 doesn't help as the waypoint is inserted after the automatically set waypoint. Again dropping the contact solved that.

All this seems to come from the helicopter automatically setting the sub contact as target, because when I drop the contact they behave normal again.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

PS Is the high fuel consumption when hovering normal? Looks like 10 times as much as at cruise speed.
BigDuke66

RE: ASW helicopter - strange behavior

Post by BigDuke66 »

Any comments?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I think it might be easier if you had a save of the sceanrio when you are seeing the behavior. Its kind of hard knowing exactly how a mission was configured and if something changed.
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Here a save.
Attachments
OperationVantage.zip
(214.83 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

There seems to be something screwed up on fuel consumption for the helos. Hover is 10x the consumption rate of military speed. Might want to check the db and see if that is just a db error.

I tried some other helos in other scenarios and hover is about the same consumption as cruise.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

As to speed, they seem to move at full speed to the patrol area and then cruise within the patrol area. I assume I am looking at the correct mission...ASW 1?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Sorry, when I ran it, the Wessex's all transited at cruise. But if you check the db, older versions of the Wessex burn 12 kg of fuel at Military and the one in scenario burn at 30...while all cruise is the same. So either there is something very different about those Wessex's or there is a typo in the db.
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

You checked a wrong heli, in this scenario they are Whirlwinds, and yes currently without a target in the area they behave normally like I said.

Here is a different save, in this one you have a sub contract, let it run till the first heli takes off and you see it transits with Full instead Cruise speed.
And as said between the sonar dipping they run at Full instead of Loiter speed.

And you will see that it set a waypoint far outside the search area on the edge of the prediction area for that sub contact.

Altogether a rather bad behavior that forces the player to constantly adjust this automatic mission or do it manually instead.

Now fuel consumption, in this save it is shown at 35,90 instead the 27,94kg/minute, what's the reason for this? Or is full something else than Military?
And when I was correct the hover consumption was about 10x of cruise not military, would that be wrong?
Attachments
Autosave_100sec.zip
(220.17 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I'll check it out, but my recommendation is that you always include a save, and any other detail like the unit, mission, etc. Otherwise you are wasting everone's time screwing around trying to figure it out. Help other people help you.
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Well there is only on ASW mission so obviously that one is meant and in the Mission editor you see the assigned helis and units.
Ans save is also attached in the last post.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

btw, the first save was at scenario end. Had to dismiss the end game and start the scenario.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

I see the issue. There is a large uncertainty zone for that sub which extends well beyond the defined patrol zone so the aircraft flying to the edge of the zone to drop bouys etc. Its over land which is wrong and it crosses a no fly zone which is wrong as well. You'll notice the behavior improves once the uncertainty zone is smaller or if the sub is readily detected. We'll take a look. Thanks for the save file. We would not have found this so quickly without it.

Mike
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66
PS Is the high fuel consumption when hovering normal? Looks like 10 times as much as at cruise speed.
Yes.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Can I ask what is different about this particular helo. I have tested a bunch of other ones and hovering seems to be no more than twice the consumption of cruise.
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

The fuel consumption rate at full throttle is incorrect. Adjusted.

Thanks!

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

Return to “Tech Support”