Turret Speed

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

guderian68

Turret Speed

Post by guderian68 »

Hi to all,

I hope I can explain me, but is turret facing/speed taken in account in target TO Hit calculation ?
Playing the pied piper scenario, I usualy put one or two of my leopards 1 unit in fortified hex 3616 and in a minute frame they shoot to 3512-3513-3613-3614-3715-3815-3916 (7 target in a minute) without penalty, al least it seems to me.

Thanks!

Paolo
Tazak

RE: Turret Speed

Post by Tazak »

Paolo, I don't think there is any direct penalty in terms of turret transversal speed or rate of fire, however each shot a unit fires reduces their readiness which in turn affects later shots for accuracy etc.

Also in that scenario each unit of Leopard 1A1A1A1A1... is an elite unit of 4 tanks so if you have 2 units that's 8 tanks firing in a 90degree arc so not implausible to have 7 'engagements' in a minute.
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Realistically, a stationary tank platoon could kill double that number in a minute. Of course, there's a lot of "it all depends" in that statement. I am not looking at those map locations and I am assuming a full strength, well trained, fully supplied, rested platoon. Such a platoon defending against a company of tanks attacking them across open terrain at ranges of 2000 meters and less will rapidly destroy the attacking company.

I am guessing all those targets lie within a 90 degree arc (again, not looking at the map right now). In this situation, it is very likely that, when a tank gunner sets his sight to low magnification after servicing one target, he can see his next target. He will be ready to fire before the loader announces "UP!"

Reorienting the platoon's fire in another direction (even for a change like from the 35xx to 38xx) only takes a few seconds. Defenders will designate features on the ground as Target Reference Points to facilitate shifting fires like that.

At this game scale, I would not expect the turret traverse speed of a fully operational vehicle to have an impact on the rate of fire.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Do you have a saved game file demonstrating this. I tried to duplicating this with one leopard plt but could not. One thing I did notice is that all the hexes attacked were on minefields. Is it possible that you mistake attacks by the minefield itself  with the leopards in 3616?
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

To help this discussion, the Red Storm engine does not discriminate attack angle to a unit. So the engagement arc can be large depending on how the unit is attacked and the lay of the land. I do want to add engagement arc considerations for both attacking and also getting engaged (chance of more flanking shots). That should address this issue.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
guderian68

Post by guderian68 »

I'm pretty sure that my tank are killing and not the minefields.
Anyway here there is a saved file created to show what I mean. Take in account that I don't have any military experience, so I was only asking myself if 4 tanks can engage so many targets so fast. Trying myself to do same rate of fire with Steel Beasts and I can't reply it : but of course I'm not an Elite Gunner !

thanks to all for the reply!
By

Paolo
Attachments
NS_WGSThe..turret2.txt
(227.07 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Also the turns happen across a five minute slice of time too. So within the bubble of events that is not unrealistic, but I still want to refine the mechanics as stated above in the next game engine.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

1971 to 1974 - served in M60A1's. No laser rangefinder, no gun stabilization.

The crew standard was to be able to put 2 rounds down range from initial target sighting to 2nd round firing in 15 seconds. Never met the crew in the 3 years I was in that couldn't meet that standard. In fact half could do it in 12 or less and the other half in 8 seconds or less.

As for turret rotation - if I recall correctly (which I may not be - getting old and that was more than 40 years ago) the M-60 turret could do a 360 in about 20 or so seconds. Which meant we could get on any target in 10 or less. The technology has undoubtedly changed/improved since then and I'd bet turret traverse speed is even faster today.

What the OP experienced in game seems entirely plausible to me.

There's other stuff in game that doesn't - seem plausible that is - but not what the OP posted.
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
MaxDamage

Post by MaxDamage »

Maybe the turret turning speed is a bit too much detail for the game. The facing direction is rightly included of course.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”