One of the Great What-ifs of history

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: One of the Great What-ifs of history

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am not sure I understand this discussion.

Are you claiming that if the Nazi party was removed from power and Germany sought peace with the Western Allies they would agree? Just abandoning Poland they just had gone to war for? [&:]

UK and France would not make any economic demands on Germany? No territorial demands? No disarmament?
warspite1

Yes, given the right circumstances. But there is so much that could jeopardise such a possibility - first and foremost who the Germans appoint as successor, then there is the Soviets who were delighted to sign a non-aggression pact with Germany, while (in Stalin's view) Germany and the Western Allies then tore each other to pieces and left the Soviet Union alone.

But I believe peace could have been possible for the following reasons:

Circumstances:

Germany would need to appoint a successor - who ever it is, from the Party or the Military - who is able to confirm unequivocally that they want peace and that borders - once defined - are set in stone. If there is any doubt, if there is any uncertainty, the deal is off.

There would need to be give and take on all three sides and Poland would have to be restored to its pre-war borders (ish).

Reasons:

- Look at the length Britain and France went to to avoid war; they were prepared to make colonial concessions, economic concessions (to ensure Germany had access to markets denied or restricted) and most of all, they were prepared to oversee the sell out of Czechoslovakia.

- They did this for three reasons - genuine fear (particularly on the French side) of how strong Germany had become in just the few years since Hitler's rise to power, and also remembering the horror, the carnage of WWI. There was just no appetite for another war in the west.

- One man pushed and pushed for this war. Despite the concessions made, despite the concessions offered, Chamberlain, Daladier et al simply did not appreciate that Hitler was not in the slightest bit interested. He wanted Lebensraum; that is where his thinking started and that is where it ended. The western leaders thought they were dealing with someone that it was possible to do a deal with eventually, but of course Hitler's bottom line made a deal impossible.

- Well now that man is dead. The war - short and brutal for the Poles and not much fun either for the airmen and sailors (merchant and armed forces) that have borne the brunt of the fighting so far - is still in its infancy. What has actually happened? A few ships sunk, a few aircraft, a few French troops. Yes the Poles have had it tough but we know western politicians would look at the bigger picture - essentially sod the Poles - harsh? Yes - Fair? No. But I think realistic given the way diplomacy was conducted earlier in the decade.

- The unpalatable fact is that the Western Allies have done nothing to aid Poland and do not envisage an offensive against Germany as being possible until 1941 at the earliest!! So the comment about abandoning them does not ring true - in fact quite the reverse - of course any deal will rely upon a restoration of Poland as a sovereign nation.

- The war is going to very quickly bankrupt the British and French. There are no winners here. If Germany are willing to see reason - yes, I believe the British and French would grab the opportunity with both hands.

- Economic demands on Germany? It may take someone with vision, but you would like to think that someone somewhere in Britain and France would be able to do the maths. Long drawn out war with no guarantee of the outcome vs peace now, but no reparations from Germany; Poland would need to be compensated however.

- In negotiating a peace there would have to be an immediate cessation of hostilities and this only benefits the Western Allies. They are struggling to take the war to Germany in any case and are seeing the initial effects of the U-boat war. A ceasefire is not in any way a bad thing for them. If a deal cannot be made then the war continues and the west have bought more time.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

- They did this for three reasons - genuine fear (particularly on the French side) of how strong Germany had become in just the few years since Hitler's rise to power, and also remembering the horror, the carnage of WWI. There was just no appetite for another war in the west.

There was a fourth reason. Neither the UK or France were ready for war. Neither was Germany when you get down to it. But they didn't know that.

When Goebbels delivered the declaration of war, Hitler threw it aside and exclaimed "Now what!?!?" Ole Dolf had his bluff called.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

There would need to be give and take on all three sides and Poland would have to be restored to its pre-war borders (ish).

NO WAY any new German leader would allow Poland to be returned to its pre-war border. Now..."ish"...maybe, but it would be a very small "ish". Its possible that the Czech Republic minus Sudetenland and minus Slovakia could be given back...after the Germans remove the factories, wealth, etc...and a small rump of Poland (minus the Polish corridor, resources in the south, etc...). It would basically be Monrovia (Warsaw, Lodz) and some area around that north-east to south west and along the Russian border. It would be land-locked. The reason for this besides that Germans expended time, energy, resources, and lives to already do it, is that the general German population has a euphoric war and revenge mentality, and they have tasted victory and love it. Any leader giving in to France/Britain and giving back Poland would be strung up by piano wire.

Personally I think the war would continue for these reasons. Lets say you were the lead negotiator for France and Britain, and I was for Germany...I highly doubt we could come to an agreement in light of how far apart we are above. I think the fall of France would be the next best opportunity for peace, and I would try to involve the US in the negotiations...all the while pressing Britain (Gibraltar, Malta, Egypt, etc...)...after each victory asking Britain if we could end the war now...and give back British possessions.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

But what did Germany actually go to war with Poland for?

Germany did not go to war to "gobble-up" Poland. Poland was a means to an end. If that end i.e. the dream of Lebensraum in the Soviet Union, still remains post the death of Hitler then there is categorically no deal to be done. The Polish Corridor? Give that to Germany, but the rest?

It was you yourself that thought the army may come to power via a coup d'etat. Think what a coup d'etat means? They have effectively overthrown the party - as 1938 proved, that is no mean feat, especially now. Hideous creatures like Heydrich are suddenly sidelined.

Do von Rundstedt and his contemporaries really want to continue this war - a war suddenly without purpose?

Just think, if you take Hitler out of the equation for a moment. What were pre-war Germany's grievances? What did they want? The west were falling over themselves to give them what they thought they wanted and so avoid war:

- Repudiation of the Versailles Treaty
- Giving Germany back her armed forces
- Coming to a deal on colonies
- Giving Germany access to markets for their products

Germany's biggest problem now is that they have spent so much on armaments that the economy is looking a bit sick. Peace is another way out. What I do not understand here is what this war - post Hitler - is actually about and what is to be achieved in its continuance. For the Western Allies its simple; Germany started it and has to seek to end it or it continues. For Germany it is far from simple; I have no idea who amongst the party or even the army were sold on Lebensraum. Did the majority of the populace understand that their beloved Fuhrer was taking them on a road that could only end with war against the Soviet Union? Were the Germans euphoric and war crazy after defeating Poland?

Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Yes, the Germans were euphoric and war crazy after defeating Poland...they were that even after Czech.

One of the reasons I put Rundstedt forward as the possible leader is that he's someone who would have been acceptable to the party. He also believed in "Lebensraum"...now to what extent is the question. "Lebensraum" does not have to mean territory in USSR, Poland would do nicely for someone like Rundstedt who would not be too excited about going to war with USSR.

Germany would for sure want to recover the territory it lost after WWI (Pozan, West Prussia(corridor), parts of Selisia, Danzig. Then there would have to be more besides. Probably that part of Austrian Galicia that is not in USSR hands at that point (Krakow), and then assuring any natural resources locations that are not part of these territories.

You mean Hitler did not go to war to only gobble up Poland. We have a different leader now. I think with the above partition of Poland, the leadership would be willing to end the war.

Actually it was the re-armament that helped bring the economy up a bit and put people to work. We know from history that public works is only a temporary patch (The New Deal, etc...)...so who knows what the economy would have looked like with the end to the war...but with new territories to expand into and more resources...
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well that is not my take. Were some euphoric and war crazy? no doubt - but the general population? Those that had lived through the horror and carnage of WWI? I don't buy that. Euphoric thinking wrongly that the "war" is a short one perhaps, but nothing more for those people.

I do not understand a limited Lebensraum at all, but it does not matter. If you are right and the new Fuhrer wants no Poland in future - remove the parts you mentioned + the Soviets keeping some spoils and there effectively is no Poland - then there can be no peace. Regardless of what was done (or more correctly not done) by the Western Allies, Poland was their line in the sand beyond which Germany could not cross. Go back on that now and well.. it would not be a good day for democracy, for the British and French nations, the end for the Chamberlain and Daladier administrations, and those two individuals names being synonymous evermore with weakness and betrayal; weakness and betrayal that they have been largely forgiven for (or at least understood when it comes to Czechoslovakia) but not a second time.

Everything I have read - and its admittedly not exhaustive - suggests that the German economy was in big trouble in 1939 and was sustained through its victories and the plunder accrued. You think a few coal mines in Silesia are going to be the panacea to fix year after year of huge military spending?

Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

I had two separate families in Germany at the time. One was my grandfather (banker) on my father's side who by this time was speaking out against AH. Later in 1941 he would be sent to a political prisoner concentration camp (survived, rescued in 1945). The other is my cousin who was in the Fallschirmjager from 1943 and on. According to my cousin (never had a chance to ask my grandfather about this) there was constant euphoria amoung the general population from the Czech take over, until things turned in USSR. Prior to Czech it was cautious and selective.

The other thing is that the German negotiators would be asking the west...what about the parts of Poland USSR took? Why are they also not at war with USSR? Germany giving up anything more than a rump would be a non-starter and the war would continue in my opinion. Next stop: fall of France.

As for the economy, I think we can all agree that at some point state control of the economy will cause disaster (ie...new deal). I was not making a point for a better economy, only asking the question.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I think the two contrasting examples you gave sums up what I was trying to say. People are people and we all act differently. Whilst it seems counter-intuitive to argue with people that were there, it must be recognised that peoples opinions may not necessarily reflect the situation as a whole. E.g. no doubt parts of Germany were more pro-Nazi than others, people in different social classes are likely to have different outlooks etc.

In Germany food rationing started in late September, clothes rationing by the start of November, petrol was already rationed by then. I just do not see that this is a background (particularly given peoples memories of WWI) for euphoria. Set against that of course will be the thoughts of pro-Nazis and those who believe the Hitler spiel about the great Jewish-Bolshevik conspiracy – no doubt they were creaming their pants at the mere thought of terror bombing Warsaw. But I do not believe that constitutes the majority of the German people.

As for the Soviet Union I have already mentioned this. Stalin playing ball is one of the conditions for peace. Stalin may decide he’s not for budging. Equally, seeing the feeble Western response to the invasion of Poland may have given Stalin pause for thought. He no doubt thought that Germany and Britain/France would destroy themselves fighting each other. Instead we have a Germany that conquers Poland in three weeks and a west that does not lift a finger.

Stalin is nothing if not a realist. He may decide that a deal is sensible given the above. Who knows?

As for the economy, I am simply to stupid to understand the complexities of how some economies work and some don't. E.g. I understand to an extent how Stalin turned around the USSR - the country is rich in natural resources and the Gulag system and a hideously brutal regime helps to concentrate workers minds - but how the hell did Japan (80% of the country uninhabitable, no natural resources) go from a semi-feudal society in the late 19th century, that needs its ships built for it, to one that built the Kido Butai and the Yamato in just over half a century???

So Germany goes bonkers, from pretty much scratch building a huge army, a large air force and a navy in the space of a few years. Everything I do know about economics (albeit not much) says that is going to end in tears sooner rather than later and the country will bankrupt itself. I see two ways out a) The Germans do what they did, go to war and plunder every nation it defeats or b) it eases up on the spending and brings military spending in line with what it can afford.

But I simply do not know enough about this to say with any certainty what happens to the German economy if they hit the peace button.

Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Actually, the part of Germany my cousins are from was one of the most anti-NAZI, pro-French areas: Rhinehessen and Saarland. Unfortunately my family is still very pro-French[&:]. So, if there was a sense of war euphoria there, and my cousins have always been well educated and well read...of course Goebels was a master of propaganda...

I don't see Stalin playing ball at all.

Economy wise...Germany and Japan did it again post WWII...so I think its something about the culture.

I highly doubt Germany stops or pauses its military spending. There is also the Yugoslavian question to deal with...which Germany and USSR could have arrangements on as well.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Actually, the part of Germany my cousins are from was one of the most anti-NAZI, pro-French areas: Rhinehessen and Saarland. Unfortunately my family is still very pro-French[&:]. So, if there was a sense of war euphoria there, and my cousins have always been well educated and well read...of course Goebels was a master of propaganda...

I don't see Stalin playing ball at all.

Economy wise...Germany and Japan did it again post WWII...so I think its something about the culture.

I highly doubt Germany stops or pauses its military spending. There is also the Yugoslavian question to deal with...which Germany and USSR could have arrangements on as well.

warspite1

No I am not talking culture (although there must be some part played there). I am talking instead about cold hard cash. How did Japan do what it did? Any economics experts out there?

Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

The Japanese after about 1880 decided to embrace western technology and still retain their culture.

They copied a lot in the days before international patents - and continued to do so into the 1960's.

They did not import finished products - rather they imported raw materials and manufactured things themselves.

Somehow the economy hummed along. I read somewhere during the 1920's and 1930's the average Japanese was better off than their parents or grand parents - yet were worse off than the average westerner.

As we did not yet have a global economy most Japanese did not realise they were worse off and continued working.

british exil

Post by british exil »

Germany got some of it's cash by §robbing" wealthy Jewish bankers and companies. Travel documents were sold to wealthy persons who wanted to leave the country, companies sold for less than what they were worth, to be resold for a higher price. Even holding some in prison and taking a ransom. 1938/39 would be 10% income of Jewish belongings changing their owners.

Once the war had started, occupied countries had to pay Germany money. France for example had to pay 150 billion Euro's. Denmark covered 90% of Germany's meat and 20% fish needs.

SS-Führer Odilo Globocnik sent back 1901 train wagons filled with textiles robbed of the Jews and others. These would be sold .

Unemployment was solved by giving people jobs in the new weapons industry. At terrible wages. At the same time rebuilding the Wehrmacht to a considerable size of 1 million men, many of these were prior to this unemployed.

Annexation of Austria also gave Germany the Austrian gold reserves 78.267 Kilos. Gold and currencies were then allowed to be transferred from Austria to Germany 1.3 billion Reichsmark (1 Reichsmark (1937/38) = 3,58 Euro)

The Ostmark (Austria) also had iron ore and oil as resources.

Just a few figures I found whilst reading the net. Article is in German. I translated a bit, might be a few mistakes being 3:30 am here.
http://www.profil.at/home/hitlers-schul ... aft-273933

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

I love these 'what-ifs" threads, but come on you guys, let's get to the crux of what we all want. A wargame in the WW1-WW2 setting that allows for these examinations, and I'm sure it's not HOI, MH, CIV, etc., although they are decent platforms for evolution.

More like a CEaW or SC, especially with the diplomatic emphasis.

So, with that said, and with the facts of hindsight, it will be war! The alliances, the unfolding of the declarations, all to be decided by "the game". We know where this will start, we have two choices, both in the Eastern Hemisphere, Europe or Asia(China-USSR).

I'll throw out a lesser known collaboration, early in the 20s, the Weimar Republic and the Soviet Union to usurp the provisions of the Versailles Treaty conspired and the Luftwaffe was born.

Really, is there any doubt, WW1 extends to the late 40s with a brief armistice of a decade, no need for Hitler or Stalin, the balloon ascends with neither or both.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey

A wargame in the WW1-WW2 setting.....

1914 - 1950?

If it got to 1918 and the German side were winning - there would need to be a massive incentive for him to suddenly surrender!

Eambar

Post by Eambar »

One alternative:

Himmler and Heydrich are aware of the bomb plot, but keep quiet. They do this to pave the way for their takeover, and as revenge against Hitler for not giving them senior posts in his government of 1932. They convince Hitler and the Nazi leadership not to leave early, however they leave and Hitler, Joseph Goebbels, Rudolf Hess, Robert Ley, Alfred Rosenberg, Julius Streicher, August Frank, Hermann Esser and Christian Weber are all killed in the blast.

Himmler takes control of the Reich and Heydrich becomes his deputy. Goering knows he can't go up against this pair, who control every security apparatus in the country so he declares support.

They orchestrate the propaganda to blame the British, thus continuing the war in the west. Himmler and Heydrich take a more hands off approach to running the war and allow the military more freedom to conduct their operations. There is no Dunkirk and the BEF is destroyed.

Hitler's legacy in the east, as written, will also be honoured. The military, free of Hitler's megalomania and being allowed to run accordingly by two very calculating, intelligent and utterly evil men, launch Operation Barbarossa and overwhelm the Soviets...

Killing Hitler without killing these two may not have lead to the peaceful world that a lot of people expect...

fvianello

Post by fvianello »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

That Hitler was never assassinated is sometimes invoked as a thought experiment regarding time travel: if we assume that anyone who manages to invent time travel would want to stop Hitler as the one thing in history that needs to be rectified, the fact that its never happened could be taken to mean that either A. time travel is impossible or B. we are already living in the best of all worlds - that Hitler's survival in the past was necessary to prevent a much larger catastrophe that would happen to a non-Hitlerian timeline.

Or D:
the "real" past was with Hitler killed by the bomb, and Nazist time travellers changed it to allow him to live 6 more years and leave a huge trace in history.
H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: HanBarca

That Hitler was never assassinated is sometimes invoked as a thought experiment regarding time travel: if we assume that anyone who manages to invent time travel would want to stop Hitler as the one thing in history that needs to be rectified, the fact that its never happened could be taken to mean that either A. time travel is impossible or B. we are already living in the best of all worlds - that Hitler's survival in the past was necessary to prevent a much larger catastrophe that would happen to a non-Hitlerian timeline.

Or D:
the "real" past was with Hitler killed by the bomb, and Nazist time travellers changed it to allow him to live 6 more years and leave a huge trace in history.
warspite1

But surely if the Nazi's invented it then they would change history to ensure victory... wouldn't they? Or am I missing something??

[:)]

gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

Or D:
If Nazis had access to time travel technology, I assume they'd be able to do a lot more about it than make sure the Reich six years later anyway.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Or D:
If Nazis had access to time travel technology, I assume they'd be able to do a lot more about it than make sure the Reich six years later anyway.
warspite1

Didn't I just say that?? [&:]

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Or D:
warspite1

Didn't I just say that?? [&:]
No. You said that "then they would change history to ensure victory" and gradenko said that "they'd be able to do a lot more about it than make sure the Reich six years later anyway". That is a completely different sentence.

Maybe you need to go back to school Warspite1 and learn that there is a difference between "victory" and "do a lot more". [;)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Discussion”