any other idea's

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.
budd

any other idea's

Post by budd »

Well purchased For Liberty today and what do you know can't get it to start. Tried everything i could find in the forums. Started with the .dll error, found the file and placed it in the game directory and the system folder so i don't get the .dll error anymore. Tried every compatibility setting with and without changing my screen rez. the process starts, i can see it in task manager but nothing starts and it not using any cpu. I tried to start from the game exe. and the autorun menu no luck so far. Tried disabling the options on the compatibility mode screen and basically everything in between.I'm pretty much out of idea's. So if anyone has any idea's i'll listen, if not i'll open a support ticket. The game page does say it works with Win7. I'm trying to play it on a laptop with Win7 home and an integrated intel card.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Agathosdaimon

RE: any other idea's

Post by Agathosdaimon »

if you had an nvidia card also on your computer that you can switch to then i would suggest the fix can be using the files in the link in this thread, it fixed my issues for this game completely so that i dont even need to use compatibility settings

tm.asp?m=3821109

i have an NVIDIA card on my laptop also and the game works using this along with the files put into the game folder from the link in that thread

apart from this i dont know what will work - perhaps if you put the files in your folder from the link in anycase.
that the game wont even start is new, i can get the game to start but if i try it with my intel card, when it goes to campaign, the game screen is black and i get a dll error message - were you getting that far before?

budd

Post by budd »

All that I can get to come up is the auto menu , when I click to start a game just nothing, I can see the process in task manager but nothing starts. I was getting a .DLL error but have since aquirred the file so that went away but the game just won't start, no difference if I tried to start from the game exe. Files.

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

very odd, did you perchance get the wined3d fix in the other thread i mentioned?
tm.asp?m=3821109

i can get the game to start using my intel card on my laptop at least - though i have better luck with the nvidia card.

Another suggest could be to change the desktop resolution before starting the game - have you tried setting the desktop to 1024x768?
budd

Post by budd »

I haven't tried the wined3d thing yet but did try everything else. I did download wined3d, saving that as a last resort. Yea i tried all the resolution and compatibility settings, i have other old games i switch to that resolution for, i have several profiles set up so i can quick switch depending on the game. I opened a support ticket and they have been giving me suggestions but so far nothing has worked. It nothing from support works i'll try the wined3d thing and if that don't work asked for refund or credit and move on. I've had difficulty getting other games to run, but this would be the first one i haven't at least been able to get started.

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

well let me know how you go with the wined3d thing - its simply just a case of putting the files in the game folder and then just starting the game - this fixed the issues for me and all the other hussar games i have
budd

Post by budd »

Tried the wined3d thing, nothing. I wasn't sure where to put the .dll files, leave them in the wine folder in game directory, put the .dll files in the game directory or put the .dll files in the .dll folder so i tried them all and still nothing. Even tried several compatibility modes and resolutions......absolutely no change...have no idea...nothing from support has worked either so far.

Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

hmmm, well another option and perhaps the last option - but one which i have used for some games with old settings, is to install VMWare and install Windows XP on it so i have then an application which runs winxp and i can use to get alot of the old games running - its not fiddly at all to set up but you need a copy of winxp handy to install - i had to do this to play Hornet Leader as that game has some bizarre resolution setting limitations

apart from this perhaps a refund is the only request you can make now

Return to “For Liberty! Support”