Question about howitzer ammunition

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

Question about howitzer ammunition

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have read bit about howitzers on Wikipedia and I have a question: why howitzers don't have any kind of armor piercing ammunition? I understand it is not howitzer's job to engage armored targets. But then again, it wasn't Sherman's job to engage Tigers. Still Sherman could have few HVAP rounds for self-defense (or whatever). So why Paladin and other howitzers don't have anything against armored targets in case one could get into their position?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Objekt730

RE: Question about howitzer ammunition

Post by Objekt730 »

Actually, cluster munitions can be delivered by artillery in the form of ICMs for anti-armor purposes.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I don't think weapons of the howitzer type are equipped for direct los firing. I suppose that an innovative crew could boresight but beyond that they simply aren't prepared for that kind of engagement.

Just guessing.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
nate25

Post by nate25 »

The Germans fielded a couple different SPGs like the early StuG series, StuH 42 and SiG 33 that carried a few HEAT rounds in their basic load-outs.
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

So why Paladin and other howitzers don't have anything against armored targets in case one could get into their position?

They could fire one of these, or the like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMArt_155

A direct hit from a 155mm round isn't likely to leave much of the tank and even less of the crew. I think that if you're in position to for a direct hit on a tank from a Paladin's 155mm gun - it's dead if you hit with a standard round.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

A bit of overkill, but I'd bet that this round would be dandy for anti-tank...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W48
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

Return to “General Discussion”