Transport Question

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

NigelKentarus

Transport Question

Post by NigelKentarus »

I haven't been able to find this, perhaps I'm wording my search wrong. If I create a transport TF with an AP and 2-3 AK's, can I go to multiple ports picking up troops as long as the AP as enough troop capacity and the AK's enough cargo capacity? Basically what I'm trying to do is evacuate a number of BF's from various PI ports and move them. Of course I don't have enough AP's to evacuate them all at once, so I'm trying to use 1 AP and grab as much as possible in 1 turn. When I say transports, I mean Amhib TF's.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
RogerJNeilson

RE: Transport Question

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Ok problems with this are:

1 ship will never transport more than one unit, so you cannot use excess capacity to load others onto any one ship
1 ship TFs are less likely to be spotted than a small convoy, so trailing empties along on some circular tour means they are more likely to be seen, and more likely to be sunk.
The idea of evacuation is load them onboard and get the hell out of enemy range as fast as possible, by moving them round as a group you risk losing the guys you have just 'saved'

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

I didn't think I could. I was hoping to maximize my high volume AP's. I guess I'll continue to run my little ones all over as much as I can. Dang though, just don't have enough of those close enough.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Remember the way things are set up at the start for the Allies is showing just how totally unprepared they were and the chaos that follows. You will lose lots of stuff, indeed the area round the Philippines can become a slaughterhouse in some games.

I derive a strange pleasure out of creating some order from that chaos.... Its kind of a mini challenge. Every ship saved, every delay imposed on the nasties is in itself a little victory. Take the long view, but also enjoy every single morsel of he game.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

I was hoping to maximize my high volume AP's

Noooooo, high volume AP's or xAP's do not belong in the front lines. their value is in moving whole divisions from home to large rear area ports. plus have you looked at the VPs they have. they are worth more than whole destroyer squadrons.

evac of tiny base forces should be done by patrol aircraft and or APDs. possibly even subs.

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

rms/pa is right - no way one should risk high-value APs in enemy-controlled waters. OTOH, there are a coupla' nice USN base-forces in the PI at start, that would be much more useful alive in Australia than dead in the Phillipines.

Note also there are a dozen or more xAPs all over the map at start, than can convert to APA on 3/43. It's pert' important to preserve them, they're the nucleus of the future Allied AmphTF juggernaut. Hide them all at Mare Island, even if it means losing their services throughout 1942.

Return to “The War Room”