Starting new game or tutorial crash to desktop

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

j4r3k

RE: Starting new game or tutorial crash to desktop

Post by j4r3k »

I've used cleanup tool to clean the 'NET Framework 4.5.2' and the 'NET Framework - All versions (Windows 8.1)'.

But I can't install Net from '_CommonRedist\DotNet\4.5.1' folder as the intaller states that "there is already NET Framework 4.5 installed along with this update" (translated to english).

In Win 8.1 the DotNet 4.5.1 is a part of the OS so there is no way to uninstall it. Reinstalling does nothing as installer always states that there is already same/newer version in the OS.
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

Are you able to reinstall 4.5.2? If you do not have an installer for this then you can install this from the link below.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... x?id=42642
j4r3k

Post by j4r3k »

4.5.2 installed ok. Game still crashes same way.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi j4r3k

Can you please check for a crash dump file at the following location. Carefully note the correct version number in the path:

C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.10\DW_CrashDump.txt

If the crash dump file exists there, can you please post the contents in this thread.

You can also check the Windows application event log found at Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. In the tree view at left, open the Windows Logs node and select the Application child node. The list of events in the middle of the screen may contain messages relevant to the DW crash. Note that this is a list of events from all applications on your computer, so you will need to filter/sort by Date and Time to find the relevant messages. When you find a DW message, double-click to open and then copy the main message from the General tab into this thread.

Thanks
Elliot
j4r3k

Post by j4r3k »

As I said there is no log file there.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi j4r3k

So you definitely checked this folder?:
C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.10\

...and not:

C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.0\

...because you initially said 1.9.5.0

How about the application event log? Any messages there that might help us?

We'll need an error message to identify what's causing your problem.

Thanks
Elliot
j4r3k

Post by j4r3k »

There is only 1.9.5.10SteamCrashLog in DistantWorlds which I quoted in first post.
VorteeX

Post by VorteeX »

try
C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe
dunno why i have there all logs files :)
j4r3k

Post by j4r3k »

No log file there.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi j4r3k

Do you have any Distant Worlds messages in the application event log? (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer)

We'll need an error message to identify what's causing your problem. It's very likely that there will be some kind of message either in the event log or the normal crash dump file (C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.10\DW_CrashDump.txt)

Otherwise you could simply try the next update when it's out soon - it fixes a number of crashes.

Thanks
Elliot
VorteeX

Post by VorteeX »

Hi Eliotg, it's propably depend on Windows or .NET version. But i'm have nothing on yours location and not only me. This can be helpfull to update this standard answer with another location like:
(C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.10\DW_CrashDump.txt)
or
(C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe\DW_CrashDump.txt)

regards [:)]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Please note the new public beta update, which may help, is now available.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
j4r3k

Post by j4r3k »

I don't know what changed in my system (I didn't update any drivers etc.) but the crash is gone. Maybe a Windows update.

Return to “Tech Support”