Single Ship TF Dispersion of Large Vulnerable TFs in danger

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

warspite1

RE: Single Ship TF Dispersion of Large Vulnerable TFs in danger

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

While I find calling the whole thread 'nonsensical' harsh - as I have already pointed out, some of the information provided indeed is interesting - the continued discussion is nonsensical indeed.

FWIW I agree with you but would add that it is odd that folks consider a forum with "WWII in the PTO" as its topic cares about the war in the Atlantic, let alone over and over and over (and over.) This is not a general-purpose WWII forum. It is the busiest forum on the site sure, and it has a lot of WWII-interested readers, but it's not about the ETO. I doubt the WitW forum would appreciate me constantly plopping down to discuss the Saipan campaign while they try to figure out how to play that thing.
warspite1

You find it odd that that “folks consider a forum with “WWII in the PTO” as its topic cares about war in the Atlantic”.

Firstly I assume you mean the ETO, as I can assure you that south-east England is not in the Atlantic….

Anyway, let me enlighten you as to why your post is quite wrong, self-righteous and really quite hypocritical:

a) “This is not a general-purpose WWII forum”. In that you are of course absolutely correct, however, it is a forum populated (generally speaking, and unsurprisingly given the nature of WITP-AE) by people with a knowledge of WWII. That knowledge in some cases may be limited to the PTO, but is more than likely to cover the war generally – even if knowledge/interest is likely to be focused (understandably) more on the Pacific.

Given this knowledge base, it is a useful place for people to come to for sensible discussion, not just on the PTO, but the war generally from time to time. As someone more focussed in my reading toward the ETO, I initially came to this forum to take advantage of some of the very knowledgeable folks when I was researching “write-ups” for the MWIF unit counters. I received generally courteous and helpful responses from a number of people here. The ships were most certainly not PTO only!

If no one cared about anything other than the PTO, why was it that so many different people contributed to the recent Sealion debates? Your view doesn’t actually match behaviour does it?

b) You state that “You doubt the WITW forum would appreciate you constantly plopping(?) down to discuss the Saipan campaign”. Well I have no idea whether there is a strong PTO representation in that forum – maybe, but probably not. While I cannot speak for the WITW forum, I can confirm there have been plenty of OT subjects covered in the WITE forum over the years, indeed a Sealion discussion was held there a few years ago, and more recently there was an OT thread about Operation Market Garden games (that’s ETO by the way) – by your reckoning the moderator should have closed that immediately and directed the OP to WITW?

c) I find it very strange that you would express such indignation about people discussing non-PTO items in a PTO centric forum when you yourself have recently been happy to contribute to the following threads recently:

- OT: American Sniper
- OT: 1915 US Navy Film
- OT: Disturbing News Headline

Well now, I never went to university, but I am pretty sure none of the above concerns the War in the Pacific 1941-1945. Or are you saying this forum is for PTO and topics you like, but not for the occasional ETO thread or anything outside what you are prepared to sanction?

d) It is not for you to decide what topics are covered in what forums is it? Perhaps you should petition for The Thread to be closed down – I’m not seeing that as a PTO based thread either?

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I doubt the WitW forum would appreciate me constantly plopping down to discuss the Saipan campaign while they try to figure out how to play that thing.

I dunno. They might appreciate the traffic.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Symon

This is not a WW-2 forum. It is a WiTP-AE forum. War in the Pacific, with an emphasis on the AE title.

Otherwise, LoBaron is quite right, calling the whole thread nonsensical is indeed harsh and unintended. In fact the original premise of the thread is interesting and I contributed to it on that basis.

Main forum is where people should go to argue their OT issues; not here.
warspite1

I disagree for the reasons given above, but as I said, it would have been better to move the thread to a new thread, marked OT.

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I doubt the WitW forum would appreciate me constantly plopping down to discuss the Saipan campaign while they try to figure out how to play that thing.

I dunno. They might appreciate the traffic.

[:)]
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

This entire thread is nonsensical. It's nothing but the Warspite/Leandros Seelowe crap re-ported to another place. Would you two please find somewhere else to carry on your stuff. What do your proclivities about German Amphib capabilities have to do with Single Ship TFs in WiTPAE?
Leandros

Let's be honest , Leandros hijacked the thread to flack his book(s) and his pet fantasy theory. He really PO'd Warspite , and it's been off to the races ever since. Bill's had to gently remind these two to keep it civil , and they barely did. They would (and we would) probably be better off if they just exchanged emails and went ahead and debated this till kingdom come (or Leandros does a new book). So how about it guys? Why not take this off somewhere private (where it probably should have been all along? [:D]
warspite1

No sorry AW1Steve but this is not quite correct. Yes, Leandros has a pet theory and worked that theory into the thread discussion, but there was no complaint about doing so from the OP and others joined in the discussion quite freely.

The request to keep civil was more to do with myself and mind_messing than Leandros. Barely civil? I think that is a tad harsh - it was robust - but nothing to scare the children and dealt with between us before Bill got involved.

Sorry but this is a WWII related topic (although I fully accept it should have been on a separate OT thread) but absolutely no reason why it could not be debated here.

Sorry my friend. We will simply have to agree to disagree. [:D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Let's be honest , Leandros hijacked the thread to flack his book(s) and his pet fantasy theory. He really PO'd Warspite , and it's been off to the races ever since. Bill's had to gently remind these two to keep it civil , and they barely did. They would (and we would) probably be better off if they just exchanged emails and went ahead and debated this till kingdom come (or Leandros does a new book). So how about it guys? Why not take this off somewhere private (where it probably should have been all along? [:D]
warspite1

No sorry AW1Steve but this is not quite correct. Yes, Leandros has a pet theory and worked that theory into the thread discussion, but there was no complaint about doing so from the OP and others joined in the discussion quite freely.

The request to keep civil was more to do with myself and mind_messing than Leandros. Barely civil? I think that is a tad harsh - it was robust - but nothing to scare the children and dealt with between us before Bill got involved.

Sorry but this is a WWII related topic (although I fully accept it should have been on a separate OT thread) but absolutely no reason why it could not be debated here.

Sorry my friend. We will simply have to agree to disagree. [:D]
warspite1

No problem mate - at least you are a grown up about it [:)]

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

This is not a WW-2 forum. It is a WiTP-AE forum. War in the Pacific, with an emphasis on the AE title.

Otherwise, LoBaron is quite right, calling the whole thread nonsensical is indeed harsh and unintended. In fact the original premise of the thread is interesting and I contributed to it on that basis.

warspite1

I disagree for the reasons given above, but as I said, it would have been better to move the thread to a new thread, marked OT.
I disagree with your disagreement. Will you disagree with my disagreement on your disagreement? [&:][:D][:D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

I disagree with your disagreement. Will you disagree with my disagreement on your disagreement? [&:][:D][:D]
warspite1

Upon reflection I am in disagreement with my own agreement to agree with your disagreement. Please consider said agreement, disagreed with... and I am now fully in agreement with myself with that approach. Do we have an approach on which we are all agreed?

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

warspite1

warspite1

Upon reflection I am in disagreement with my own agreement to agree with your disagreement. Please consider said agreement, disagreed with... and I am now fully in agreement with myself with that approach. Do we have an approach on which we are all agreed?
Agreed....I think.....[:D]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

What started as a difference of opinion that was mostly staying polite (I brought up the couple of instances of name calling the other day), this thread seems to be devolving into a dog pile with people pushing their own agendas.

As Warspite pointed out, there are many threads on this forum that are not directly applicable to the war in the Pacific between 1941 and 1945. For one thing if I was to strictly police that, The Thread would be the first to go. This thread started out on AE and morphed into a discussion about Seelowe, which does happen around here on a regular basis. The invasion of England is closer to topic than a lot of off topic threads here, however I am concerned about the knife throwing going on this thread in the last 24 hours.

If a large majority of the forum really wants me to shut down any thread that strays from the game and/or the PTO in WW II, I can, but I strongly doubt that a majority of the forum would want that. Personally I think that would do a lot of harm to the forum as a whole. The easiest thing to do is just quit reading a thread when it wanders off into territory that you aren't interested in.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Many thanks Bill.

Leandros

Post by Leandros »

If a large majority of the forum really wants me to shut down any thread that strays from the game and/or the PTO in WW II, I can, but I strongly doubt that a majority of the forum would want that. Personally I think that would do a lot of harm to the forum as a whole. The easiest thing to do is just quit reading a thread when it wanders off into territory that you aren't interested in.

Bill
Well spoken, Bill!

I have not felt comfortable discussing “our” subject on this thread. Actually, I have tried to lay smoke and pull out on a couple of occasions. I have stated my reason for this. Which makes Steve’s accusation of me stepping in here to peddle my book unfounded. If he meant my next book project, which I have also mentioned, I’m not sure that shall ever be finished. Anyway, it’s far off. But, I had hoped to have some use of the WitP in that connection. That is why I have joined up with this Forum in the first place.

It is true that I have a “pet theory”, if so it can be called after some years of study with a resulting book to put the theory in context. Anyway, this discussion has turned out exactly as “normal”, with the usual influx of debaters that know very little on the subject, constantly quoting others who knows equally little. Very few have studied German sources. And, I am as surprised as always of the unwillingness of many to accept contemporary events as part of the basis for the discussion. As one reviewer of my book wrote: “The author has used many contemporary events to underline his reasoning”.

As much as I have now installed the WitP and started on the work to adapt it to my purpose, with the expected problems in soft- and hardware, I really don’t have time for his. I also agree in general to some here that OT discussions are a nuisance. However, how much is for the moderator to evaluate, and moderate….

To better have you understand my background for venturing into the subject of Sealion in the first place, I am quoting the “Introduction” chapter of my book here. Enjoy!

[center]Introduction[/center]

Unternehmen Seelöwe – Operation Sea Lion – was the name of the planned German invasion of the United Kingdom scheduled for fall 1940. It never happened. Despite the fact that the invasion did not take place, Operation Sea Lion is one of the most discussed items on the special web-sites devoted to topics from the Second World War. This what-if-scenario engages as many people as the actual great operations of the same period – the invasion of the Soviet Union, the attack on Pearl Harbor, the landings in Normandy or the question if Montgomery and Eisenhower were heroes or no more than average leaders of armies.

The subject of Sea Lion is popular, but the debate is often so heated that reason quickly goes overboard. The topic obviously touches on powerful sentiments. As I have experienced the debates, cemented fronts are quickly created, a powerful Allied and a much weaker German one. Quickly the German side will be called Krauts or Nazis and the conclusion of the discussion is rapidly reached. Those advocating the German side are perceived as somebody who really wanted the (eventual) invasion to succeed, even if that person only wants to evaluate certain historic points. Because my conclusions about Sea Lion are somewhat different than the popular ones, I have found myself on the receiving side of this treatment many times.

I was astonished by the ridiculing of this operation that was discussed so often and enthusiastically on the web. Could the German military leaders at that time really have been as amateurish as they were described? It did not fit in with the contemporary events. As my interest was awakened I discovered an operation that was fascinating in concept and planned execution and of which I, in spite of my lifelong interest in military history, knew so little about. The victors – read: the British side – readily forget that it was not they who contributed the most to the final Allied victory – and that fall 1940 everything was totally uncertain.

It is obviously painful for the proponents of the British side to admit that the Germans could very well have succeeded with the planned invasion, this in spite of the remarkable performance of German arms in the period preceding it. If they had, the result could have been a bitter British defeat. However, the final Allied victory is portrayed as a guarantor that the result was given. German failure!

Looking closer, and using many German sources, I have found many overlooked facts on which, in my opinion, faulty conclusions on Operation Sea Lion have been drawn. There are also questions around the British defence and its leadership, particularly that of the Royal Navy, that indicates that its reaction to a German invasion would have turned out to be different than the popular opinion. Churchill, among others, hints at this in his memoirs. I shall revert to this.

I shall treat the subject from a somewhat revisionist perspective (an ugly word these days!) and with reference to present discussions on the web as I have experienced them. My arguments shall be based on published literature and research. It is not my intention to prove that Sea Lion had to succeed, but rather to examine many items which I have found to be unfairly subdued or not considered at all. The reader can then decide for himself. There are many cemented myths to consider. More than twenty books have been written on this operation that never was executed. Most of them judge it harshly. On most discussions on the web the negative aspects of these sources on Sea Lion are amplified, while the positive are downgraded. Facts that suggest the possibility of a successful operation are minimized. This is not strange as there are usually a multitude of British proponents. The result is a double minus for the theoretical prospects of Sea Lion.

It is a paradox that there is much more information to be found on the German preparations for the invasion than the actual defence of England or the British leadership’s view on the actual conditions, even if Churchill writes a lot about it. This stems from the fact that after the war German files and papers for a large part remained open, while British records from the same period still are subject to a degree of secrecy – The Official Secrets Act. This must be seen in the light of the Second World War transitioning into the Cold War. Because of this much information issued by the British in the years after the war, true or propagandistic, has fastened itself as facts.

First and foremost, Operation Sea Lion was never carried out because Hitler did not want it. He had other priorities. He blamed the lack of air supremacy (the actual words used were air superiority) but this did not stop him from executing other equally or more risky operations such as Weserübung (Scandinavia), Barbarossa (the Soviet Union) or Merkur (Crete). In the middle of September all preparations had been made. The German forces waited only for the final order. Why Hitler didn’t issue this order is not important. That particular subject is a book all by itself. What is important is that if Hitler had really wanted to go ahead with it, like he did with Weiss, Grün, Gelb, Weserübung and Barbarossa, he would have focused and followed it up in a very different manner. History shows that when Hitler engaged himself seriously in a subject or operation he never let it drift as he did with Seelöwe. On the contrary, he usually intervened too much, to the despair of his staff. He was not a professional military man as they were. Before Weserübung, the invasion of Scandinavia, he called the various leaders repeatedly before him and grilled them on plan and execution. This did not happen with Sea Lion. An activist Hitler would probably have been an advantage as his operational directives were not followed up by the Luftwaffe Commander – Field Marshall Gøring. In spite of this the order to prepare for an invasion was given and the staffs went to work with characteristic German élan and thoroughness. What was achieved in the following three short months is quite stunning. Particularly when considering the half-hearted attitude of Hitler and his closest associates.

I find it meaningless to discuss the theoretical outcome of an executed Sea Lion without the condition that Hitler really wanted to go through with it and that his directives for it were adhered to. This would have given the German forces an even better base than what was the case in September 1940. At the same time one must project the events which were planned for the 10-day period between the day go-ahead was given (S-10), and the day of the first landings (S-day). I have used much space on describing the German plans and resources. There are good reasons for this. It is quite obvious that most debaters on the subject have used too little time on studies of that side and therefore often come to the wrong conclusions as to the German combat potential. I would like to correct this. The ability to see many German orders translated directly should underline the reality of the project. Enjoy it!

End

----------------------------------

Well, you are free to discuss the reasoning behind what I wrote here but I am not going to use more time on it – not on this thread, anyway…I am off “Saving MacArthur”. That I would like to discusss, but not here…[;)]

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Leandros, thanks for posting the introduction.

It’s easy for people to criticise I guess, but then I suppose receiving feedback positive and negative is part and parcel of “putting yourself out there” in print.

So FWIW my feedback on your introduction is as follows:

"The subject of Sea Lion is popular, but the debate is often so heated that reason quickly goes overboard. The topic obviously touches on powerful sentiments. As I have experienced the debates, cemented fronts are quickly created, a powerful Allied and a much weaker German one. Quickly the German side will be called Krauts or Nazis and the conclusion of the discussion is rapidly reached. Those advocating the German side are perceived as somebody who really wanted the (eventual) invasion to succeed, even if that person only wants to evaluate certain historic points. Because my conclusions about Sea Lion are somewhat different than the popular ones, I have found myself on the receiving side of this treatment many times".

If that is the treatment you have received generally then I am surprised you did not make a point of saying in your accompanying post that this was not the treatment you received from the forumites here. Was the word Kraut used much less Nazi? And as for wanting the invasion to succeed……

“I was astonished by the ridiculing of this operation that was discussed so often and enthusiastically on the web. Could the German military leaders at that time really have been as amateurish as they were described?"

I think this really and quite spectacularly misses the point. Amateurish? Well just think about that for a moment. There were elements of the German armed forces that were highly professional and about as far from amateurish as it’s possible to get. However, think about the background to the operation and the German command structure. An exhaustive list would take forever, but here are just a very few of the issues that the Germans faced – and looked at from this angle – amateurish is about as good a word as any.

If Sealion was going to be launched – and moreover – won, then the co-ordination and communication between the services would need to be clear, the direction from above equally so. But what was the reality in September 1940? Hitler – who did not believe in the project anyway - ran a divide and rule policy that essentially imposed orders on his subordinates regardless – the obvious example being Hitler deciding what the Kriegsmarine would do despite protestations from his most professional and highest ranking naval advisor who said those orders could not be carried out. Neither this man – Raeder - nor his air force opposite, Goering believed the operation was anything but utter madness. Co-ordination between all three services was seriously lacking and haphazard at best. There was no proper command structure. A recipe for problems if things are going well, but a blue print for absolute chaos and disaster the moment anything went wrong.

“The victors – read: the British side – readily forget that it was not they who contributed the most to the final Allied victory…..”.

This is a cheap shot totally out of place in any serious work and reflects badly on you. For one thing this statement has nothing to do with Sealion and furthermore no one who knows anything about WWII – whether British or otherwise - would espouse such a preposterous notion. I can only assume you have spoken to a lot of people who know nothing about the subject….. The British Commonwealth’s contribution to final victory in WWII was important as without the British remaining in the fight, pending Barbarossa, the outcome of the attack on the Soviet Union could have been different. But contribute the most? I shouldn’t have given that comment the dignity of a response to be honest.

“It is obviously painful for the proponents of the British side to admit that the Germans could very well have succeeded with the planned invasion, this in spite of the remarkable performance of German arms in the period preceding it”.

Painful? Er well yes of course. But guess what? We are all grown-ups now and the war was a long time ago. If it were true then it would be admitted – painful or not.

“There are also questions around the British defence and its leadership”

This is the real problem here. You have written that presumably with a straight face. Was the British leadership perfect? Er look at how the war was run by the Western Allies between September 1st and June 22nd. The statement is absolutely true – and then some. But I refer once again to the comments on the German leadership. Accentuating the negatives of one and ignoring the negatives of the other is simply pointless in providing a balanced piece of analysis. I remind you of what a total and utter mess Goering made of the Battle of Britain. BUT apparently (and this is a feature of the pro-Sealion camp) come the operation itself, the Luftwaffe would change tactics and the new tactics would definitely work this time….honest they would..

“….this in spite of the remarkable performance of German arms in the period preceding it”.

And I am the one who has been accused of rose tinted spectacles!! The early German victories were pretty stunning – far from flawless – but stunning nonetheless, culminating in the victory over the Western Allies during May that made the fall of France a certainty. Once again, no one with half a brain is going to contest that the German Army would wipe the floor with the British Army had they landed in appropriate numbers, with support and access to re-supply. Despite your assertion that the British cannot accept that they may have been beaten, I am telling you just that. But that is not what is being discussed here – the whole point is, the German Army is not going to land in sufficient numbers as a cohesive fighting force with all the support arms (heavy weapons and vehicles) that it needs.

“I shall treat the subject from a somewhat revisionist perspective (an ugly word these days!)”

Not true. Revisionist a la David Irving is ugly. Revisionist is only ugly if its bollocks. A fresh look at why, what, where, how is always to be welcomed.

“It is not my intention to prove that Sea Lion had to succeed”

But that was Hitler’s pre-requisite for launching so yes you do!!!! The idea he is going to launch this operation with a 0%, 5% or 10% chance of success is total nonsense.

“First and foremost, Operation Sea Lion was never carried out because Hitler did not want it. He had other priorities. He blamed the lack of air supremacy (the actual words used were air superiority) but this did not stop him from executing other equally or more risky operations such as Weserübung (Scandinavia), Barbarossa (the Soviet Union) or Merkur (Crete)”.

Hitler did not want and he had other priorities. Yes, he had other priorities when the irritation of Norway came into focus too. Maybe, just maybe he "did not want it" because:
- After the first 2 months of the BoB he realised air superiority could not be achieved
- He, conceding he knew nothing about naval warfare, actually listened to Raeder and realised it was not possible
- The losses incurred by the Luftwaffe already meant his one true goal - Barbarossa - was in danger of becoming compromised.

“If Hitler had really wanted to go ahead with it, like he did with Weiss, Grün, Gelb, Weserübung and Barbarossa, he would have focused and followed it up in a very different manner”.

So all that was required for ultimate victory was focus from the Fuhrer??? So was he just unfocused in the USSR? Is that why they lost?

“History shows that when Hitler engaged himself seriously in a subject or operation he never let it drift as he did with Seelöwe. On the contrary, he usually intervened too much, to the despair of his staff”.

Right so if he had taken Sealion seriously are you saying he wouldn’t have interfered too much?

“He was not a professional military man as they were”.

Yes we know!!! Oh and are these the military men that told him Sealion would not work?

“Before Weserübung, the invasion of Scandinavia, he called the various leaders repeatedly before him and grilled them on plan and execution. This did not happen with Sea Lion. An activist Hitler would probably have been an advantage as his operational directives were not followed up by the Luftwaffe Commander – Field Marshall Gøring”.

Sorry I am confused now – so was the BoB Hitler’s fault all along?

“In spite of this the order to prepare for an invasion was given and the staffs went to work with characteristic German élan and thoroughness”.

No argument there whatsoever, I am sure they did. The problem was no amount of elan and thoroughness was going to make up for having too few escort vessels, no proper landing craft, and insufficient training (the latter deficient due to the ridiculously short timescale for getting this launched). This was the fault of not preparing for a possible Sealion years before. The problems faced could not be brushed aside – regardless of elan and thoroughness - in the space of a couple of months.

“I find it meaningless to discuss the theoretical outcome of an executed Sea Lion without the condition that Hitler really wanted to go through with it and that his directives for it were adhered to. This would have given the German forces an even better base than what was the case in September 1940”.

But…but…but….Hitler's directive set four conditions for the invasion to occur

• The RAF was to be "beaten down in its morale and in fact, that it can no longer display any appreciable aggressive force in opposition to the German crossing". NOT ACHIEVED
• The English Channel was to be swept of British mines at the crossing points, and the Strait of Dover must be blocked at both ends by German mines. UNLIKELY TO BE ACHIEVED
• The coastal zone between occupied France and England must be dominated by heavy artillery. YES BUT IT WAS INEFFECTIVE BOTH PRE AND POST SEALION
• The Royal Navy must be sufficiently engaged in the North Sea and the Mediterranean so that it could not intervene in the crossing. British home squadrons must be damaged or destroyed by air and torpedo attacks. THIS, ALONG WITH THE ACTUAL PLAN HAS NOT BEEN COMMENTED UPON BY YOU.

Well it’s been fun Leandros and you have certainly peaked my interest anew.

I truly wish you well with your next endeavour.

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Leandros

Bill
Well spoken, Bill!

I have not felt comfortable discussing “our” subject on this thread. Actually, I have tried to lay smoke and pull out on a couple of occasions. I have stated my reason for this. Which makes Steve’s accusation of me stepping in here to peddle my book unfounded. If he meant my next book project, which I have also mentioned, I’m not sure that shall ever be finished. Anyway, it’s far off. But, I had hoped to have some use of the WitP in that connection. That is why I have joined up with this Forum in the first place.

It is true that I have a “pet theory”, if so it can be called after some years of study with a resulting book to put the theory in context. Anyway, this discussion has turned out exactly as “normal”, with the usual influx of debaters that know very little on the subject, constantly quoting others who knows equally little. Very few have studied German sources. And, I am as surprised as always of the unwillingness of many to accept contemporary events as part of the basis for the discussion. As one reviewer of my book wrote: “The author has used many contemporary events to underline his reasoning”.

As much as I have now installed the WitP and started on the work to adapt it to my purpose, with the expected problems in soft- and hardware, I really don’t have time for his. I also agree in general to some here that OT discussions are a nuisance. However, how much is for the moderator to evaluate, and moderate….

To better have you understand my background for venturing into the subject of Sealion in the first place, I am quoting the “Introduction” chapter of my book here. Enjoy!

[center]Introduction[/center]

Unternehmen Seelöwe – Operation Sea Lion – was the name of the planned German invasion of the United Kingdom scheduled for fall 1940. It never happened. Despite the fact that the invasion did not take place, Operation Sea Lion is one of the most discussed items on the special web-sites devoted to topics from the Second World War. This what-if-scenario engages as many people as the actual great operations of the same period – the invasion of the Soviet Union, the attack on Pearl Harbor, the landings in Normandy or the question if Montgomery and Eisenhower were heroes or no more than average leaders of armies.

The subject of Sea Lion is popular, but the debate is often so heated that reason quickly goes overboard. The topic obviously touches on powerful sentiments. As I have experienced the debates, cemented fronts are quickly created, a powerful Allied and a much weaker German one. Quickly the German side will be called Krauts or Nazis and the conclusion of the discussion is rapidly reached. Those advocating the German side are perceived as somebody who really wanted the (eventual) invasion to succeed, even if that person only wants to evaluate certain historic points. Because my conclusions about Sea Lion are somewhat different than the popular ones, I have found myself on the receiving side of this treatment many times.

I was astonished by the ridiculing of this operation that was discussed so often and enthusiastically on the web. Could the German military leaders at that time really have been as amateurish as they were described? It did not fit in with the contemporary events. As my interest was awakened I discovered an operation that was fascinating in concept and planned execution and of which I, in spite of my lifelong interest in military history, knew so little about. The victors – read: the British side – readily forget that it was not they who contributed the most to the final Allied victory – and that fall 1940 everything was totally uncertain.

It is obviously painful for the proponents of the British side to admit that the Germans could very well have succeeded with the planned invasion, this in spite of the remarkable performance of German arms in the period preceding it. If they had, the result could have been a bitter British defeat. However, the final Allied victory is portrayed as a guarantor that the result was given. German failure!

Looking closer, and using many German sources, I have found many overlooked facts on which, in my opinion, faulty conclusions on Operation Sea Lion have been drawn. There are also questions around the British defence and its leadership, particularly that of the Royal Navy, that indicates that its reaction to a German invasion would have turned out to be different than the popular opinion. Churchill, among others, hints at this in his memoirs. I shall revert to this.

I shall treat the subject from a somewhat revisionist perspective (an ugly word these days!) and with reference to present discussions on the web as I have experienced them. My arguments shall be based on published literature and research. It is not my intention to prove that Sea Lion had to succeed, but rather to examine many items which I have found to be unfairly subdued or not considered at all. The reader can then decide for himself. There are many cemented myths to consider. More than twenty books have been written on this operation that never was executed. Most of them judge it harshly. On most discussions on the web the negative aspects of these sources on Sea Lion are amplified, while the positive are downgraded. Facts that suggest the possibility of a successful operation are minimized. This is not strange as there are usually a multitude of British proponents. The result is a double minus for the theoretical prospects of Sea Lion.

It is a paradox that there is much more information to be found on the German preparations for the invasion than the actual defence of England or the British leadership’s view on the actual conditions, even if Churchill writes a lot about it. This stems from the fact that after the war German files and papers for a large part remained open, while British records from the same period still are subject to a degree of secrecy – The Official Secrets Act. This must be seen in the light of the Second World War transitioning into the Cold War. Because of this much information issued by the British in the years after the war, true or propagandistic, has fastened itself as facts.

First and foremost, Operation Sea Lion was never carried out because Hitler did not want it. He had other priorities. He blamed the lack of air supremacy (the actual words used were air superiority) but this did not stop him from executing other equally or more risky operations such as Weserübung (Scandinavia), Barbarossa (the Soviet Union) or Merkur (Crete). In the middle of September all preparations had been made. The German forces waited only for the final order. Why Hitler didn’t issue this order is not important. That particular subject is a book all by itself. What is important is that if Hitler had really wanted to go ahead with it, like he did with Weiss, Grün, Gelb, Weserübung and Barbarossa, he would have focused and followed it up in a very different manner. History shows that when Hitler engaged himself seriously in a subject or operation he never let it drift as he did with Seelöwe. On the contrary, he usually intervened too much, to the despair of his staff. He was not a professional military man as they were. Before Weserübung, the invasion of Scandinavia, he called the various leaders repeatedly before him and grilled them on plan and execution. This did not happen with Sea Lion. An activist Hitler would probably have been an advantage as his operational directives were not followed up by the Luftwaffe Commander – Field Marshall Gøring. In spite of this the order to prepare for an invasion was given and the staffs went to work with characteristic German élan and thoroughness. What was achieved in the following three short months is quite stunning. Particularly when considering the half-hearted attitude of Hitler and his closest associates.

I find it meaningless to discuss the theoretical outcome of an executed Sea Lion without the condition that Hitler really wanted to go through with it and that his directives for it were adhered to. This would have given the German forces an even better base than what was the case in September 1940. At the same time one must project the events which were planned for the 10-day period between the day go-ahead was given (S-10), and the day of the first landings (S-day). I have used much space on describing the German plans and resources. There are good reasons for this. It is quite obvious that most debaters on the subject have used too little time on studies of that side and therefore often come to the wrong conclusions as to the German combat potential. I would like to correct this. The ability to see many German orders translated directly should underline the reality of the project. Enjoy it!

End

----------------------------------

Well, you are free to discuss the reasoning behind what I wrote here but I am not going to use more time on it – not on this thread, anyway…I am off “Saving MacArthur”. That I would like to discusss, but not here…[;)]

Fred

Yes Leandros , I WAS talking about your new book. I'm weird that way , I DO try to stay on topic. When someone stretches a top so tremendously , then quotes himself from books that he is or has written , with no easily apparent reason except for exposure , one can't help but get the impression that one is "flacking" his work. While not as blatant as "single ship task forces?", "that reminds me, have you eaten at joe's dinner? I'm Joe". Now that was Blatant. I found you to be only "questionable" , and perhaps a little bombastic. So of I am incorrect in assuming that you HIJACKED this thread for personal gain, please forgive me. I just assumed because you were pictured holding a copy of one of your books, and quoting from it (or quoting from yourself...I'm not sure which is which) , you might see the reason for my mistake.

[:)]
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

I did not participate in the past discussion because of two main reasons:

1) warspite´s posts represent more or less to the point what I think about that topic, and he seems to have far more patience, personal interest, and time, to point out the fundamental flaws in your chain of reasoning.

2) until now you failed to produce any primary sources (and the context of those sources) that support your chain of reasoning - which also seems to be a major issue in your book.

When I inform myself about a book I usually search for independent reviews not linked to the author´s homepage - because those presented there obviousely suffer from having passed a subjective selection process - and in most cases helps me to get a pretty accurate summary of what to expect.

In your case I found this one to be pretty informative:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117743

'River Wide, Ocean Deep' by Fred Leander

Let me start by saying that this is a very difficult review to write. I've butted heads repeatedly with Mr Leander over the last few years, mostly on the Sealion threads, and so am very aware of his arguments and the information he puts forward to support them. Thus for me there's nothing new in his book, and I don't want that to cloud my opinion so there will be no comments on the information within the covers only a critique of its structure and Mr Leander's methodology.

Firstly, Mr Leander writes in a lively, informal, fashion making the book an engaging read. Those new to the topic will appreciate the style more than jaded old hacks like me. Sadly I can't recommend it as a primer for a variety of reasons as will become clear.

The book's biggest flaw is the total lack of references. Whilst I appreciate that Mr Leander is not a trained historian and not every historical work contains the kind of endnotes and footnotes I would like to see a work such as this needs them. It's all too easy to take a fact from one place, a quote from another and an opinion from one of the authors Mr Leander recommends and string them together as if there is some kind of continuity. Without proper references it's a frustrating task to try to track down the original sources for each to ensure that they've been presented in their proper context. When the author is making a number of contentious points it is essential, not just for the reader but for the author too since it allows him/her to address questions and criticisms easily.

There are deep flaws in the book's structure too. The lengthy appendices are cluttered up with commentary that should sit in the main chapters. A four page section that is supposed to demonstrate the effectiveness of the coastal artillery in the chapter 'Coastal Artillery' is clearly something that has been cooked up using a computer game (the images used for illustration are a bit of a give-away) with Mr Leander applying a little 'artistic licence' to make the little scenario more plausible. The wisdom of such an approach is questionable, the lack of information on how such a scenario was created unforgivable. Plans and orders are presented as if they would function like clockwork if enacted (on the German side anyway), examples of German military prowess are shown as if their relevance is self evident whilst the British are portrayed as courageous bunglers (apart from the Royal Navy who are spun as timid bunglers!).

At the very start of the book Mr Leander complains about the way he, and others, get treated on discussion boards, that their views are ridiculed and they get subjected to abuse as Krauts and Nazis. Having seen such abuse first hand I sympathise to a degree but this book fails to hit the mark. In trying to redress the balance of what he regards as a pro-British bias Mr Leander has produced something that is unashamedly pro-German (or pro-Wermacht to give it a better spin) in tone. The section at the end of the book, simply called 'The Books' is probably the best part as Mr Leander reveals his personal tastes as well as information on at least some of the works referred to in the main text.

The above probably seems quite harsh. It is Mr Leander's first foray into the world of publishing and for that alone he deserves praise. A lot of reading and thought has gone into the text and given that he is writing in what for him is a foreign language there are surprisingly few errors in spelling or the grammar. What is frustrating for me is that a good book is waiting to be written on the topic from the perspective Mr Leander has taken and I know that he has the knowledge and the resources to pull it off. Sadly 'River Wide, Ocean Deep' isn't it.

Since this review could be a description of your posting style as well, I assume it to be pretty reliable.

And since it is YOU who stands up against a well established theory, it is YOUR job to prove that your theory can hold its´ own. Being astonished about 'the ridiculing of this operation', repeatedly failing to provide direct reference to primary sources, and simulating coastal artillery by playing Silent Hunter simply doesn´t deliver. Sorry.

As for the rest, I am again pretty much in line with warspite´s comments to your books´ introduction...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Hi Leandros - having gained my interest on this I am doing some research for my own purposes.

I know you have moved on the MacArthur project but could I ask a (very quick) favour please? You mentioned at the outset that Donitz stated he would have 44 u-boats available for the operation.

Can you just confirm a) where that quote came from please? and, b) in the same way that you checked on every RN destroyer, did you check up on these u-boats nos.? Not wanting a list, just a yes or no answer.

Many thanks!

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well from a cursory glance I cannot see how 44 boats are available for Sealion - and that's even allowing for the fact that sufficient notice is given to Donitz to ensure all boats are in the Channel in time for the invasion.

According to Clay Blair at the start of September 1940, Donitz had 24 commisioned ocean-going boats and only about half that number were combat ready. I cannot work out how many of these would have been Type IX and thus unsuitable for Channel operations.

In addition to the circa 12 boats above, there were 30 ducks (Type II's) in service at the start of the war. 6 of these had been sunk, 3 never went on patrol and a further 15 were sent to the U-boat training command between April and July 1940. That leaves 6 of these smaller submarines to add to circa 12 ocean-going boats.

So from what I can see, the only way Donitz can get anywhere near the number you stated (and even then not even close) would have been to denude the training command completely of boats.

From your research can you confirm what I am missing here?

Source: Hitler's U-Boat War (Clay Blair) and www.uboat.net

Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Warspite wrote: I know you have moved on the MacArthur project but could I ask a (very quick) favour please? You mentioned at the outset that Donitz stated he would have 44 u-boats
available for the operation.

Can you just confirm a) where that quote came from please?
Peter Schenk: Landung in England…
Warspite wrote…. b) in the same way that you checked on every RN destroyer, did you check up on these u-boats nos.? Not wanting a list, just a yes or no
answer.

Yes.
Warspite wrote: According to Clay Blair at the start of September 1940.
Who is Clay Blair..? Did he work for Dönitz…?
Warspite wrote: From your research can you confirm what I am missing here?
The boats (boote)…?

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite wrote: I know you have moved on the MacArthur project but could I ask a (very quick) favour please? You mentioned at the outset that Donitz stated he would have 44 u-boats
available for the operation.

Can you just confirm a) where that quote came from please?
Peter Schenk: Landung in England…
Warspite wrote…. b) in the same way that you checked on every RN destroyer, did you check up on these u-boats nos.? Not wanting a list, just a yes or no
answer.

Yes.
Warspite wrote: According to Clay Blair at the start of September 1940.
Who is Clay Blair..? Did he work for Dönitz…?
Warspite wrote: From your research can you confirm what I am missing here?
The boats (boote)…?

Fred

warspite1

Okay fair play, I have tried to be polite and courteous toward you and continue this interesting subject in a constructive manner, but I think your true colours and motivation are shinning through so I guess that is where we will end it.
Who is Clay Blair..? Did he work for Donitz?

So any research you do not like is simply rubbished, while your research is 100% factual?

You haven't heard of Clay Blair but rubbish his research on the basis he didn't work for Donitz? Wow.... So presumably you worked for the Admiralty otherwise how would you know where the destroyers were? [8|]
The boats (boote)...?

If that was supposed to be humorous - that is actually quite funny. Sadly I think you were simply being dismissive in your arrogant way [:(]

I should have looked at your website at the outset to understand your true motivation here; one of your projects for the future? The Ultimate Betrayal!!

oh dear.....

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Okay fair play, I have tried to be polite and courteous toward you and continue this interesting subject in a constructive manner, but I think your true colours and motivation are shinning through so I guess that is where we will end it.
Who is Clay Blair..? Did he work for Donitz?
So any research you do not like is simply rubbished, while your research is 100% factual?

You haven't heard of Clay Blair but rubbish his research on the basis he didn't work for Donitz? Wow.... So presumably you worked for the Admiralty otherwise how would you know where the destroyers were? [8|]

Um, to be fair, I didn't know who Clay Blair was either. Though I probably would guess he wasn't German.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Blair

Though I haven't written any books either.
The boats (boote)...?
If that was supposed to be humorous - that is actually quite funny. Sadly I think you were simply being dismissive in your arrogant way [:(]

I should have looked at your website at the outset to understand your true motivation here; one of your projects for the future? The Ultimate Betrayal!!

oh dear.....

I have to admit that I missed the context for the "The boats (boote)" comment, but I didn't see it as being disingenuous. I could always be wrong, but I think you may be reading a bit more into this than was intended.

Leandros does have an agenda of sorts. He did put in the effort to write a book on the subject and as a result he has invested a lot of effort in his conclusions. I wouldn't call it nefarious though. It's common for people to fight hard for ideas they have spent a lot of effort forming.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Return to “The War Room”