TGW AAR

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Cmdr_Vessery

RE: TGW AAR

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

AGS update - Turn 75, 22NOV42

Progress is moving along nicely in the south, I was planning on moving a Panzer Korps down here to assist, but maybe we'll see how the Allies manage with just the 13th Army Korps first and some seige arty.

Attachments
AGSSeaofAzov1.jpg
AGSSeaofAzov1.jpg (224 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

Soviet air force bombers in fill swing...

See next post for damaged aircraft on both sides... lol

6 Soviet bomber wings.. ouch
2 German air fleets defend, one was a bomber group.

Attachments
Sovietbomberattack.jpg
Sovietbomberattack.jpg (112.96 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

Engaged aircraft and losses..

Damn... Look at the number of Soviet bombers in this attack. Hard to believe that there's an airfield left.. lol

I'm just glad that I had a Me-110 air fleet at the field, and ofc, AA unit on 3 dot defense.. hehe

Attachments
Sovietbom..klosses.jpg
Sovietbom..klosses.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 716 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Cmdr_Vessery
Engaged aircraft and losses..

Damn... Look at the number of Soviet bombers in this attack. Hard to believe that there's an airfield left.. lol

I'm just glad that I had a Me-110 air fleet at the field, and ofc, AA unit on 3 dot defense.. hehe
Wow.........is that the kind of attack from Elmer that I can look forward to? D'oh. Hey Comm. V dude I've got good news and bad news.
The good news is the Soviets stop making any more IL-4's in another year or so. And the bad news is that the
Soviets are making 75 new ones each turn. You may have to do a bunch of airfield
attacks to find and kill them all.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (301.32 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

New equipment hitting the battlefield with the 6th Panzer Division refit...

dun dun dun.. too bad there's not more rolling out to the field.

Excited to get the beast on the field of battle.

6th Panzer and the rest of the 41st PzK may need to get redeployed to AGS for the advance to Stalingrad in the spring of 1943... Forces are assembling to strike at the heart of Russia, take the city named after the leader, that's surely to demoralize them completely.... [:D]
Attachments
6thPanzerrefit.jpg
6thPanzerrefit.jpg (105.73 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

AGS update - Turn 78, 13DEC42

Assault into the Crimea is moving along well, Soviet troops have been encircled and are being eliminated slowly. The 13th AK has reinforced the Italian troops who had taken lead on the drive to Sevastopol.

Attachments
AttackonSevastopol.jpg
AttackonSevastopol.jpg (194.38 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

AGS update - Spring Offensive to take Stalingrad.

3 main jump off points as labeled below on the map. Left and right flanks will be held using the river Don as a natural defensive barrier. Infantry AK's will hold the river defense at locations where forging is possible, that way it will help stretch out the attackers effectiveness and lengthen the line.

Panzer Korps will take lead followed by additional Army Korps. First Rostov needs to be taken and the bridge destroyed to prevent attack from Soviet troops railing up from the south. Mobile forces will race forward to cut of soviet troops from retreating back across the River Don.

Operation is scheduled to commence the first week of March, providing the spring rains stay light and the ground is solid.

Attachments
Stalingradpush.jpg
Stalingradpush.jpg (498.35 KiB) Viewed 716 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I wish you fair winds and good luck and all that but are you aware of the trap at Stalingrad? There's cliffs all
around the city so you have to enter the city by road and if the Soviets blow the bridge across the Don then
you would have to repair the bridge while under fire and or go around and cross the bridge from the
east side. I must have spun my wheels for at least a month game time before I found the magic to take the
city.

EDIT: OOOooops It's not the Don I'm thinking of. What the name of that river that runs right next to or
through the city itself. That one.
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I wish you fair winds and good luck and all that but are you aware of the trap at Stalingrad? There's cliffs all
around the city so you have to enter the city by road and if the Soviets blow the bridge across the Don then
you would have to repair the bridge while under fire and or go around and cross the bridge from the
east side. I must have spun my wheels for at least a month game time before I found the magic to take the
city.

EDIT: OOOooops It's not the Don I'm thinking of. What the name of that river that runs right next to or
through the city itself. That one.

I had to google it to find it.. Looks like it's called the "Wolga".. lol

And thanks for the details on capturing the city. I will keep that in mind when I hit the city.

Attachments
Stalingradcitymap.jpg
Stalingradcitymap.jpg (184.34 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

Soviet aircraft losses, turn 78

Lots of destroyed aircraft, still lots operational.. Never ending battle.

Attachments
Sovietair..turn78.jpg
Sovietair..turn78.jpg (96.51 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

AGS update - Turn 82, 10JAN43

Operations to take the Crimea are pretty much finished up. Soviet troops have been forced back into Sevastopol and now the siege begins.

The Italian forces have been tasked with holding this part of the theater. All other forces are being withdrawn to assist with the push to Stalingrad.

Attachments
AGSSeaofAzov2.jpg
AGSSeaofAzov2.jpg (155.98 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

AGS update - Turn 82, 10JAN43

Rostov has been taken, and the bridges south have been destroyed along with the airfield cleared out. German forces will maintain defensive positions on the north side of the river and hold in place. Small gains have been made early here, with no really resistance, probes continue to be pushed forward. The right flank has been secured, and the left is being extended.

Attachments
Stalingradpush1.jpg
Stalingradpush1.jpg (379.85 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

Tigers in the 6. Panzer-Division? I suppose the Tiger abteilungen are consolidated within the Pz Divisions because of the scenario scale?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1
Tigers in the 6. Panzer-Division? I suppose the Tiger abteilungen are consolidated within the Pz Divisions because of the scenario scale?
Um.........we'd have to ask Steve Sill for the definative answer of course but from what Steve has told me, unless I misunderstood
or missed a memo it's a rule of thumb for Steve, the less the number of units the better. He's nixed the HQ's for the Divisions for
example. Those are abstracted. So yeah, I'm guessing you're right.
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

AGS update - Turn 83, 17JAN43

While securing the left flank, there was a bit of an incursion by elements of the 5th Guards Tank Army; 5th Guards Calvary Division, 5th and 7th Tank division. Pushed the 170th Infantry division back and broke up the division. A bit of confusion is going on with this strong of an attack across the river. SS LAH has just returned from France with a full refit, this division was railed into the battle zone, and will be added to the forces repelling this incursion. 3rd Panzer was also diverted to this battlezone for panzer support.

Attachments
Stalingradpush2.jpg
Stalingradpush2.jpg (366.09 KiB) Viewed 716 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Um.........we'd have to ask Steve Sill for the definative answer of course but from what Steve has told me, unless I misunderstood
or missed a memo it's a rule of thumb for Steve, the less the number of units the better. He's nixed the HQ's for the Divisions for

Tiger I Abteilungs are included in the Panzer divisions when they are refit. Tiger II Abteilungs are separate units.
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Tiger I Abteilungs are included in the Panzer divisions when they are refit. Tiger II Abteilungs are separate units.

Thanks Steve, seemed the simple answer.. And, no, I was not complaining about having Tigers... Me likey!
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Thanks for the clarification.
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

On the topic of refits, 16th PzGr Division refit is taking a long time in my opinion.. but, I am also doing a refit on SS Wiking PzGr division and 6th Panzer division.

I'm thinking that the 16th PzGr is taking second seat to both of the other divisions undergoing refit, as well as the replacements going out to the front.

16th PzGr Division - part of 1st Panzer group (refit started November 8th, 1942) - 0/50 trucks
SS Wiking PzGr Diviosn - part of XIV Pzk (refit started November 15th, 1942) - 42/276 trucks
6th Panzer Division - part of XLI Pzk (refit started December 6th, 1942) - 15/60 trucks

Steve, can you confirm or deny that the 16th PzGr Divison is lower on the priority list for equipment? 16th PzGr has been sitting in Berlin since November 8th,1942 and it's now January 17th, 1943. As you can see from the picture below, they haven't gotten any truck replacements yet. Which I find odd.

Moving forward, I'm thinking that I will only refit one division at a time, to keep from spreading out the limited equipment replacements and holding up the return to the field.

Attachments
16PzGrrefit.jpg
16PzGrrefit.jpg (110.16 KiB) Viewed 716 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Cmdr_Vessery
Steve, can you confirm or deny that the 16th PzGr Divison is lower on the priority list for equipment? 16th PzGr has been sitting in Berlin since November 8th,1942 and it's now January 17th, 1943. As you can see from the picture below, they haven't gotten any truck replacements yet. Which I find odd.

Moving forward, I'm thinking that I will only refit one division at a time, to keep from spreading out the limited equipment replacements and holding up the return to the field.
Yo Commander V dude: Check your inventory and see if you have any trucks on hand. I see where we're making only 60 new ones
each turn and if you're losing them faster than that you might just be almost out of trucks. I'm only on turn 60 and haven't really exposed a lot of my trucks to combat yet and so I've got 3K+ of them but I'd be curious to know how many you got.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to say that the idea of spreading out the refits of the Panzers is a really really good idea. I did 6 divisions at
the same time in a previous game and I don't remember ever seeing them again. D'oh.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (71.02 KiB) Viewed 716 times

Return to “After Action Reports”