Average time to complete your turn?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

rainman2015

Average time to complete your turn?

Post by rainman2015 »

Another newbie question.

I am on turn 4 of my first campaign game, and it is taking me a LONG time (almost embarrassed to say how long) to complete 1 turn as the Germans against the AI.

Of course, i am new and still learning, but there is A LOT to do, especially early on as the Germans. I developed a system finally (will share with yall after i have used it more) for redistributing my support units like i want them and of course that takes a long time, and you only do that early on, and then you are done), but just the moves and attacks and recons and and and all are taking many hours to do the entire front.

How many hours do yall usually take to do one turn, as the Germans, as the Soviets, in each time period? I assume the Germans in the first months take longer as so much is going on, so many moving parts, and that that will slow way down as to time involved.

Thanks
Randy
:)
Mehring

RE: Average time to complete your turn?

Post by Mehring »

Not the sharpest tool in the box, me, but hours and hours and hours. Savour the detail :)
“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

I am really slow, many, many hours. Usually about twenty minutes at a time. I love it, but I'm a micro-management nut. Only wish I understood it better!!
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

Yes, don't get the idea that i am not enjoying every minute of the hours it is taking to play one turn.

Last night, had about 2 hours+ and on turn 4 broke thru the river line just south of Pskov with 41st panzer corp and 1st corps streaming up as fast as they could. Then, after the breakthru, sat there wondering just exactly how to exploit it, and how a human player especially might cut me off if i didn't guard my flanks of the breakthru properly.

So, half of one AG took me over 2 hours last night, but i also did some things elsewhere, and spent at least 30 minutes transferring more support units around to get them where i want them in AGN.

BUT, unless something changes, even taking out the time for shuffling around organization (i.e. moving support units to different corps/armies and then some of them down into divisions and moving some IDs to different corps, etc), it is taking me at least 6-8 hours to play one turn as the Germans on turns 1-4, and since i only have a few hours a night on a weeknight, that means all week! :)

So, PBEM will be real war time!

Can't imagine playing War in the Pacific with one day turns, hope they wouldn't take that long.

However, it is early and there are so many units to move and so much going on for the Germans especially (haven't played the Soviets, maybe it is just as much), i imagine that with more experience, and deeper into the campaign game with the lines more firm, the turns will take half the time or so, even savoring the detail.

Randy
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: rainman2015

Can't imagine playing War in the Pacific with one day turns, hope they wouldn't take that long.

They do. At least for beginners like me. [:o] In both games it gets better and faster as you gain experience, but as you learn the system and the mechanics it can take a long time.
morvael

Post by morvael »

A regular turn with my TODO checklist took me about 1.5-2 hours (without writing AAR) well into the campaign (when everything was sorted as I wanted). Early turns or big reorg turns took 3-5 hours (mostly due to having to write down current status, sort it out in excel and then apply to the game). Some things will be faster now due to fixes in the code (for example no need to rail STAVKA around).
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

Any chance to get that 'todo checklist'? And also curious as to what you consider to be 'sorted out as you want' would be.

I made a word doc OOB to help me with organization, especially of support units, and it is really helping me to figure out where to send what and where they are headed eventually (i.e. sending this AA unit first to 18th army, but i put a reminder that it is intended to end up with 50th corp, or with 10th panzer, or something like that). I couldn't use the in game OOB to help me with that, and i find the commander's report to be not helpful (yet) for that either, but maybe i don't understand yet how to use it.

Any advice on a todo lists and how to's regarding how to organize/keep things sorted like you want them, and what is the right way TO SORT THINGS would be much appreciated. :)

Randy
Longshanks

Post by Longshanks »

I'm on my 4th game (but still haven't gone past April 42 in any of them). Generally, I spend about 1-1.5 hours per turn, but once a month I check all the HQ support, the air units, the commanders, and so on. Those turns take 4 hours or so.

I still find that I am learning many subtleties of the game, and so until I understand it MUCH better I don't see much reason to play it too carefully. It's just the AI. In the current game, I'm playing both sides, so I know the other general is an idiot.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

turn 1 2 hrs

turns 2-17 30-60 mins

turns 18+ 20 to 30 mins depending on wife agro

WitW 5 to 10 mins + AI time.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

Wow, can't even conceive of playing an entire turn 3 or so of the Germans in 30-60 minutes. I think i am spending too much time trying to figure out what i should do once the breakthru is achieved (i.e. where to place my units, how far to advance, how much to leave on the flanks, what coming up from the rear can get to the flanks to protect them, things like that take me forever to contemplate and figure out, so it ends up taking me that long to do half of AGC...but, i am enjoying every minute of it...:) So there is that...

Randy
rainman2015

Post by rainman2015 »

Early on, i am transferring a lot of support units around too, so that takes a LOT of time to figure out. Still though, just moving every unit on turn 6 or so, when everything is in motion, takes hours, then there is all the detail and thinking about possible options. Plus, i am still really trying to get a feel for everything (it's my first campaign game), so i am allowing myself to dig into whatever i feel the need to dig into. If i play a 1000 times though, i will never play a turn in less than an hour i am sure, not my nature to be that fast! :)

Randy
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi,

Pelton is one of the most experienced players, so he knows what he has in mind and he's well rehearsed, just my opinion, hope nobody minds.

The time is well spent, especially thinking about options. Once you get into '42 you should have most of the organization long completed so the turns go much faster. The command structure for both sides keeps evolving so you want to plan for this. Mud turns are much faster because there is usually no combat.

C

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”