Anyway to force the ship designer to design a ship after I delete it?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

mordachai

Anyway to force the ship designer to design a ship after I delete it?

Post by mordachai »

I was having trouble with the automated ship designer - it refused to update the Cruiser ship.

So - after trying to force it with "automatically update this design" - and ending up with a messed up ship - I deleted the design (and its predecessors). So now, no cruiser class exists for me in this game.

I can manually design it, of course... but is there a way to get the auto designer to kick back in?
Aeson

RE: Anyway to force the ship designer to design a ship after I delete it?

Post by Aeson »

If ship design is automated and cruiser designs are under the computer's control, I would expect that the computer will create a new cruiser design no later than the next time a new component becomes available, and more likely on the completion of the next 6-day cycle.

You can also see if there's an obsolete cruiser design which remains available, and if so you can work from that.
mordachai

RE: Anyway to force the ship designer to design a ship after I delete it?

Post by mordachai »

In case it helps someone else: I didn't see it reappear (even after a 6-day cycle and couple new techs - but maybe I wasn't patient enough?)
But what I did was to go ahead and design a crappy cruiser, set it to auto-upgrade, and after a new tech or two, the automation did upgrade / design a cruiser class that was correct.

would be nice if there were a "force X design to be created" somewhere... this isn't the first time I've seen the automation get stuck on an old design and refuse to upgrade its components sensibly (in this case, I had a build size limit of around 712, but the cruiser refused to be larger than 248 or so --- another reason I wish that we could tie various military vessels to a specific technology unlock like carriers: so that the automation wouldn't design idiot versions of ships that cannot possibly make sense until the build capacity is high enough).

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”