NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer)

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

RE: NATO Counters (Manual Process)

Post by Tac2i »

Truly, it isn't that hard. I've been gaming as long as you have.

Setng->RuleVars->Engine Graphics->871 -> change value to 0 and save.

Here is the file anewdawn2.at2 with the changes made for you: anewdawn2

Re editor: Agreed it is difficult but it very powerful. I only know a few things. I'd never be able to do mods like Bombur, Lancer or Ormand.

Attachments
Step6A.jpg
Step6A.jpg (180.43 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
solops

Post by solops »

ORIGINAL: Steely Glint

I want to play this game, but without NATO symbols that is not happening. They should have been built into the game (seriously, who except children want pictures?) and the lack of them is going to kill the game for me.
ABSOLUTELY. Unbelievable that NATO counters are not the default for ANY wargame. Sure, include toy soldiers as an option. I will NOT buy any wargame that does not use NATO symbols. I held off of this one until they became available. And we should not have to jump through hoops to get them. Webizen ought to be getting royalties for providing this fix. It is not a mod, it is a FIX!!!!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

This game was released in spring 2011. All Vic's subsequent games (DC series) have a button to switch between unit counter types.

Update: with v2.20m private beta patch ATG has acquired a button to switch your own units between counter types. You still need a NATO counter mod if you want the AI to have NATO counters.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
solops

Post by solops »

That is good to know. Although I have now had ATG since 2012, I have not bothered to even look at any of Vic's other games because of the counters. I will now reconsider. This is a hot-button, make or break issue for me. Several of my friends feel the same way.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
solops

Post by solops »

This may help with some of the NATO symbols. This website will not allow me to upload the zip file. Here is the link to the official symbology.

http://www.mapsymbs.com/app-6a.html
Steely Glint

Post by Steely Glint »

In desperation I went to the last resort and totally uninstalled and reinstalled and repatched.

Then I gave it one last college try. It worked! It's still far, far too cumbersome, but it works!

My #%^*ing install was corrupt.
“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.
mashkis

Post by mashkis »

ORIGINAL: Steely Glint

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Editor: load at2 file using Load Scenario button, press Edit.

steps 1 - 6

step 7

Note: these changes will only affect new games. Will have no affect on saved games before the change was made.

Where is the at2 file? I cannot seem to get the step one done? I am trying to get the NATO counters when I zoom in. Is there an automated process to get this installed?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

There is no automated way to get NATO counters in zoomed in mode unless I create an install at2 file with these changes already made. Currently, you must change rulevar 871 as I indicated. All scenario at2 files are in the atgscenarios folder. When you use the load scenario button it opens this folder.

I was trying to teach folks to fish by showing them how to make this small change themselves but I might reconsider and make an install that accomplishes the task.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
mashkis

Post by mashkis »

There is no automated way to get NATO counters in zoomed in mode unless I create an install at2 file with these changes already made. Currently, you must change rulevar 871 as I indicated. All scenario at2 files are in the atgscenarios folder. When you use the load scenario button it opens this folder.

I was trying to teach folks to fish by showing them how to make this small change themselves but I might reconsider and make an install that accomplishes the task.

Thank you for the reply. I was able to change the anewdawn2.at2 scenario and it works. However, when I start a any of the random options, I am still not seeing the NATO counters when zoomed in. Do I need to do this every time I start a new random game? Not sure what steps am I missing.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

@mashkis: Did you save your changed file by overwriting the same one you opened with the editor?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
mashkis

Post by mashkis »

I edited all of the .at2 files and now it is working. thanks.
Ppieter33

RE: NATO Counters (Solitaire/Multiplayer)

Post by Ppieter33 »

Hi Guy's. were is the downloadable mod?
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Top post of this thread has the links.

fb.asp?m=2788950
ORIGINAL: Ppieter33

Hi Guy's. were is the downloadable mod?
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Updated (minor refresh) the regTOnato counter set. See top post.

Attachments
natocounters.jpg
natocounters.jpg (241.37 KiB) Viewed 497 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Even with the latest patch, v2.21g, users may still find this NATO mod useful, especially if they prefer NATO counters exclusively or want NATO counters in the Standard and Alt Graphic games types. Even in the "A New Dawn" game type, if you want the AI to use NATO counters, you will need this mod.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Bumping this back up in case there are new players coming on board during the Christmas Sale.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

One more bump for those who may purchase ATG in the last two days of the Christmas sale.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
cdcool

Post by cdcool »

Just did this step 1 and 6 are key, a little tricky
If everything around you is blowing up..it's us
Lubaru

Post by Lubaru »

Use the auto install NATO Counters Mod. It does not overwrite any original files.
ORIGINAL: british exil

I'm just too dump to get the NATO counters. Don't want to corrupt org files but would like to try the counters.

Any NATO counters for Dummies?

Mat
Use the auto install NATO Counters Mod. It does not overwrite any original files.

Where can this file be found
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I don't know what the problem is, the first post in this thread explains it rather easily.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”