Supply Convoys that arrive at Capetown

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

sanderz

Supply Convoys that arrive at Capetown

Post by sanderz »

A couple of questions about Supply Convoys that arrive at Capetown.

I'm assuming i don't need 'do' anything with these and that they unload automatically??

Also are the devices they carry additional to those shown as being built in Tracker?

many thanks
wdolson

RE: Supply Convoys that arrive at Capetown

Post by wdolson »

They boost your device pools, mostly for British units and other Commonwealth nations. They also bring supply and fuel. You need to have some xAKs there to move the cargo out. You don't have to do anything to get the extra units in the pools, they will go in automatically in a few days.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Sauvequipeut

Post by Sauvequipeut »

After a few days the convoy unit will automatically disband and the contents will go into your pools. As far as I've ever seen, they have no impact on day-to-day production...they're just added into the troop pools on top of these.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

a "few" days is three.

Three is the number of days the convoy remains on board (presumably the unloading time) before being disbanded and sending the devices into the pools.
Hans

sanderz

Post by sanderz »

thanks all - thats cleared that up for me

have been playing for a few months now and only just started to really look into the device pools and upgrades, so this is useful info

also useful the build rate for British Squads is very low (not in the game at the moment so can't tell but will check out later)

cheers

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yes, you have to be careful with British squads. It makes your British divisions a bit brittle. However later in the game many Indian divisions undergo TO@E upgrades where they reduce or eliminate their British squad contingents. This is actually the main source of your replacement British squads as they then go back to the pool. Other critical device shortages are 25 pounder guns, three inch mortars, tanks, bren gun AA carriers, six pounder guns, 17 pounder guns....well you get the message.[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Sauvequipeut

Post by Sauvequipeut »

You can help your British pools along a bit by pulling every no-withdraw independent British infantry or MG battalion you can back to Delhi and then disbanding them. They're worth more in the pools feeding your divisions than they are on the battlefield, where battalion-sized units just get wiped.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Uhhh . . . what if I 'accidentally' take control of one of these squadrons and send them off to Eastern U.S. or some nonsense? Is that even possible? Are these magically appearing and disappearing Santa Claus squadrons distinctive from just plain old ships that show up at Capetown?

I'm only up to about Dec 12, but I've had a couple things "arrive" at Cape Town and immediately integrated it into my vast Shodan-like logistical network [:'(] Now I'm worried it might have been something I should have just left alone.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

I think they are static and you can't move them. I'm pretty sure you can't change HQ in any case so they can't be shipped anywhere.
Sauvequipeut

Post by Sauvequipeut »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Uhhh . . . what if I 'accidentally' take control of one of these squadrons and send them off to Eastern U.S. or some nonsense? Is that even possible? Are these magically appearing and disappearing Santa Claus squadrons distinctive from just plain old ships that show up at Capetown?

I'm only up to about Dec 12, but I've had a couple things "arrive" at Cape Town and immediately integrated it into my vast Shodan-like logistical network [:'(] Now I'm worried it might have been something I should have just left alone.

The supply convoys appear as special ground units, not ships, with all the goodies listed as unit devices. Going off memory, they're static, so you shouldn't be able to move them...although to be honest, I've never tried. If you check the Ground reinforcement schedule for Capetown, the arrivals are listed there.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Ah cool.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

ORIGINAL: Sauvequipeut

You can help your British pools along a bit by pulling every no-withdraw independent British infantry or MG battalion you can back to Delhi and then disbanding them. They're worth more in the pools feeding your divisions than they are on the battlefield, where battalion-sized units just get wiped.

i didn't know that - thanks

presumably your reference to "no withdraw" units means that for them specifically the devices are not returned to the pool - or the disband option is greyed out

what are the withdraw cities for other nations?

i have no units in delhi or san fran to test this

i did have units in Sydney and there is no message about returning devices to the pool

also, what happens to the devices if you disband for 180 days rather than permanently, AND when the unit comes back is it as a shell or the full unit

cheers

Sauvequipeut

Post by Sauvequipeut »

ORIGINAL: sanderz

ORIGINAL: Sauvequipeut

i didn't know that - thanks

presumably your reference to "no withdraw" units means that for them specifically the devices are not returned to the pool - or the disband option is greyed out

what are the withdraw cities for other nations?

i have no units in delhi or san fran to test this

i did have units in Sydney and there is no message about returning devices to the pool

also, what happens to the devices if you disband for 180 days rather than permanently, AND when the unit comes back is it as a shell or the full unit

cheers

By 'No Withdraw' I'm referring to units that don't have the purple mark of doom that declares they will withdraw in ###days. Those cannot be disbanded before the withdrawal date.

If you disband for 180 days, the devices go into the pools, and then the unit will recreate as a shell. If you're disbanding for devices it's probably not worth doing that as you're just going to end up where you started - assuming you have enough devices to rebuild it anyway.

Off the top of my head, early opportunities for the for the British are the infantry battalion that starts in garrison in Cawnpore, and the Gloucester battalion that starts in Rangoon. If you choose not to rebuild 1st Burma Division that gives you another British battalion. If you get the chance to Sir Robin out of Malaya, the MG battalion there is a good one to save for disbanding - Vickers devices are another thing you can really struggle for. None of that will win the war, but it does allow you to get more use out of the 18th Division, for example, by bulking the early replacement pool. Even better, disbanding battalions for replacements is a perfectly historical British practice.

I'm pretty sure Australia starts with a disbandable MG battalion to help the Vickers pools along...think it's the one that starts at Darwin.

A useful tip is to rest the unit to recover disabled squads before you disband. Apparently not all disabled devices go back to the pool. When the disband screen comes up, it doesn't say the devices are going to the pools, but that's where they go.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”