Desert War 1940-3

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Saint Ruth

RE: Desert War 1940-3

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

Hello Saint Ruth. This thread has peaked my interest in giving Desert War 1940-3 a go. Do you post when new updates/versions are available here? Do you have a thread where questions can be posted, similar to Scherpunkt on The Wargamer (ie. WWIIE)?
Hi,
Yes, there's a thread on the wargamer:
http://old.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=585142
Lots of screen shots etc on there too!
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

Hello Saint Ruth. This thread has peaked my interest in giving Desert War 1940-3 a go. Do you post when new updates/versions are available here? Do you have a thread where questions can be posted, similar to Scherpunkt on The Wargamer (ie. WWIIE)?
Hi,
Yes, there's a thread on the wargamer:
http://old.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=585142
Lots of screen shots etc on there too!

Thanks for the quick response! I checked out the link. Very good info!
JRR
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: bcgames

If anyone wants to do a PBEM of Desert War 1940-43, send me a PM.

The Battleaxe scenario is the most mature and best maintained playtest scenario. Those new to the system who are playing a live opponent for the first time should try playing the Allies using the Battleaxe (No Operation Exporter) scenario. I'm in the process of re-writing the game manual so I am very interested in learning what your questions are about how to play the game. I'll play whichever side you prefer. I will do quick turn-arounds on turns and will play to the very end of the scenario. Let's learn from each other at your convenience. We want your input on how to make the game better.

If you have the time to spare, give it a try.

v/r

bcgames
Desert War 1940-43 version 1.2.45 is out.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Thanks for the continued support.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
marty01

Post by marty01 »

It's a really fun game system. The game also has a great look. I've played the Battleaxe scenario a number of times. The WeGO system fits well with Western Desert Battles. It has a lot of subtle layers but doesn't overwhelm players with too much detail to juggle. I can typically knock-off a PBEM turn of Battleaxe in about 15 to 20minutes before heading off to work in the morning.

Thumbs-Up! & I can't wait for more scenarios.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

If you have the time, please comment on the Desert War 1940-43 Supply System proposals at the following thread:

http://old.wargamer.com/forums/posts.as ... g=5#654275

Thanks for your input; it helps us make decisions about game features.

v/r

bcgames
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

...i made that battle scene picture in the last screenshot
Indeed. An excellent, thematic work. Very nice!

I've seen that picture before, somewhere.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Congratulations.. outstanding achievement.. !

Quick question... did speed read but must have missed it.

What is the hex scale, miles/Km across?
And the length of time one game turn represents in real time?

Thanks...
Incredibly impressive work..
All the best,
Kip.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

...i made that battle scene picture in the last screenshot
Indeed. An excellent, thematic work. Very nice!

I've seen that picture before, somewhere.

I have on my deviantart page - mitchellnolte.deviantart.com and it may have been shared from there on some other groups maybe?
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: kipanderson

What is the hex scale, miles/Km across?
And the length of time one game turn represents in real time?
Hi,
Some of the scenarios vary a bit in scale, but in general it's about 2 miles per hex.
The turn length can vary per turn too (it's settable in the Editor) but 3 turns per day for most of the scenarios (there's no Night Turn penalties yet...another thing To Do)...
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Saint Ruth,

Thanks..

Sounds very good.

All the best,
Kip.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Now I have had time to glance at previous posts and at the editor.. am even more impressed.

We have Command Ops.. but there has long been a market for a sensible, high quality update of the classic IGOUG; hex based operational game to WEGO. This is it.

The flexibility is remarkable. NWE, Eastern Front.. why not? :).

All the best,
Kip.
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

I'd love to do NWE, Eastern Front all right, or even the Middle East etc.
I picked the desert war as that has smaller battles, less complex etc.
I'd like the Editor to be allow any battle in any terrain, with everything mod-able, from the graphics to scale and even down to the CRTs.
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

“I'd like the Editor to be allow any battle in any terrain, with everything mod-able, from the graphics to scale and even down to the CRTs.”

That would be fantastic.. really would.. :). Have had a good long look at the editor.. tremendous.. !!

All the best,
Kip.

kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Am hugely admiring of your efforts. But as with all fans of such games have my own wish list of features I hope for.

Would be nice to see but am simply grateful you’re developing the game at all. With or without these features. The ability to launch Saved games in the editor helps greatly in running tournaments. Cuts down the workload for empires. But adding the ability to password protect scenarios and Saved games also helps a lot.

Now the real big wish I can see is not there so must be a lot of work and time to develop is to allow Internet/LAN live play.

You will have thought about it, so if missing there will be a reason. But for me PBEM is too slow. Having tried live, human v human WEGO play in other wargames there is no going back to PBEM ;).

But.. either way, fantastic achievement and very much looking forward to seeing your game develop over time. Once again congratulations..

All the best,
Kip. .
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

Ah, great idea about the saved games. I was actually going to remove editing saved games (as people could cheat) but checking both passwords is a far better solution.

Internet/LAN. Yeah, it's one of those things that I should've added at the start but adding it in now is more problematic. Just finishing the supply now, and then it's AI and GUI, so might look at that in the future.

If you've any other suggestions, fire ahead!
Cheers,
Brian
76mm

Post by 76mm »

PLEASE don't get rid of the ability to edit saved games--it is a great feature which is all too rare! I've downloaded this game but have been too busy with work to take it for a spin--Hopefully I'll have time soon!
Eambar

Post by Eambar »

Played the historical Battleaxe scenario hotseat from both sides...apart from obviously not understanding the supply rules (the Allies crept along at 1 hex per turn and barely made it anywhere) I found it quite an enjoyable game and well thought out. Counters are nice, and provide clear indication of the necessary information.

The desert war has always held an appeal, and apart from some Command Ops scenarios and the SSG Gazala scenario for Battlefront, there hasn't been a lot of desert war games on the market.

I'll continue to follow this one with interest.

Cheers,
Saint Ruth

Post by Saint Ruth »

ORIGINAL: Doggie3

Played the historical Battleaxe scenario hotseat from both sides...apart from obviously not understanding the supply rules (the Allies crept along at 1 hex per turn and barely made it anywhere) I found it quite an enjoyable game and well thought out. Counters are nice, and provide clear indication of the necessary information.

The desert war has always held an appeal, and apart from some Command Ops scenarios and the SSG Gazala scenario for Battlefront, there hasn't been a lot of desert war games on the market.

I'll continue to follow this one with interest.

Cheers,
Cheers Doggie. If armour/recce/mech units are out of supply, they can just move 1 hex (they need to be in range of the HQ - if the cursor if over the HQ press R to see the range, and the HQ itself has its border highlighted in pink).

I'll leave in the editing saved games so. And there I was thinking that was a bug! [:)]
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

Hi,

Have been doing some more playing around with Desert War and my admiration is limitless.
Great to hear that editing Saved Games and password protection for scenario are in/staying.

One day, maybe even LAN/Internet play...

An additional suggestion is for Orders Delay. Maybe as a game option for those who wish for it.

For me a big attraction of operational games is the feeling of “running knee deep in mud...”. By which I mean that you cannot just throw around an infantry battalion the way you can shout orders at an infantry squad. You I have to try and think ahead. Orders delay also gives a realistic bonus to player who surprises his enemy. Because his enemy cannot just “perfectly..” adjust everything immediately.

Helps to give a feeling of chaos. Which much of war must surely be. The mixture of FOW and Orders Delay working hand in hand.

Of course I realise that the Game Sequence to some extent builds that in with your system. Only someone with a real grip on the system could judge. I am just tweaking scenarios and then observing how things play out.

BTW.. impressed by the CRT.. casualties don’t seem excessive for the length and intensity of the individual clashes. Don’t expect it either in Desert War given the obvious quality but we all know it’s trap operational games can fall into.

All the best,
Kip.

Return to “General Discussion”