A plea to thou map God, Jison

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

montanaza

A plea to thou map God, Jison

Post by montanaza »

It has been mere weeks since my last post

I look to these forums daily, in hope of mapping salvation, yet to no avail

I know many have asked before me but a sign, just a screen grab perhaps to show my diligence and faith were not misplaced? Oh how much I long for the high contrast goodiness for witw

Until tomorrow's visit..

reggimann

RE: A plea to thou map God, Jison

Post by reggimann »

I feel with you, montanaza, as I too visit the modding section every day in hope of reading about a mapping project.

I will continue to do so. Faithfully and with high hopes. [:'(]
WitP-AE - WitE - WitW
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Actually the original map for WiTW is not bad. It may be one of the first computer wargames I have played where I haven't had the urge to change the map.

The counters on the other hand I had to de-flatten.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
morvael

Post by morvael »

If I remember what Jison said, the chances for such map are slim. WitW uses a tiled map engine, where map images is glued from single hex images on the fly (there might be several variants of given terrain hex, so the map does not look very repetetive to the eyes). This has the advantage of being able to fix the map in patches, without having to rework map graphics. Downside is there is no chance to use beautifully painted/drawn maps.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

As morvael says the tiled map does have a big impact on the likelihood of a map mod but I'm not sure whether it is more difficult just quite different. 

During WitW alpha testing when the map construct was much, much simpler I created a Jison version of the WitW map in a couple of hours but cutting and pasting patches out of his WitE map and using them as tiles.  You see the beauty of the tiled map is that the game puts all the terrain in the right place for you.  My conversion was only possible in such a short time because at that stage in development each terrain type had only one tile and the weather was not added.  The map you see now is much more complex because as morvael highlights each hex type now has a range of different tile variations - especially where they are blended between terrain types.

What I'm trying to say is that a Jison 'style' map is very possible but it would be somewhat different to that you see in WitE.  The editor contains all the tools needed to arrange the tiles but you do need the graphical expertise to create the mosaic tiles first.  Changing the map text is also quicker although you are limited to text in straight lines.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”