Sunburst book review

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Phanatikk

Sunburst book review

Post by Phanatikk »

Has anyone read Sunburst: The rise of Japanese naval air power?

Worth the price of admission?
AW1Steve

RE: Sunburst book review

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Phanatik

Has anyone read Sunburst: The rise of Japanese naval air power?

Worth the price of admission?

Haven't read it yet. Damned , I wish I'd known you lived in Tampa. I was there two weeks ago. I NEVER miss a chance to meet a "Thread brother". [:D]
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

It solidly covers the evolution of the IJNAF's organisation, doctrine and tactics between the wars and assesses the air arm's strengths
and weaknesses as at the opening of the Pacific War. The book is a high level view only, there are no detailed histories of squadrons,
etc. And there is only a single section covering how the force fared (generally) in the Pacific War and why.

So if the intention is to understand the back story to one of the main air arms sitting on the map on turn 1 of the GC, this book makes
a very good read. I also found it an excellent reference to return to at times when reading other accounts of various Pacific aerial
battles and wondering what may have been behind some particular Japanese decision making.
This was the only sig line I could think of.
bush

Post by bush »

I would give it a thumbs up. Not riveting by any means but several, "Oh, that's why that happened!" moments.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

It is worth reading. I was disappointed that it didn't measure up to Kaigun but that is OK. You'll learn some fascinating stuff from it.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Phanatikk

Post by Phanatikk »

Thx guys.

Too bad AW1. And we are moving home to TN in a month.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”