I am sure there is an easier way to...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Harrybanana

I am sure there is an easier way to...

Post by Harrybanana »

1. Set all my air groups with less than 70 morale to "RS" (rest), other than using the commanders report/ air groups display and then clicking on the mission for each such individual air group 4 times to change them from "DN" to "RS" (and on subsequent turns one click to change them from RS to DN).

2. Locating enemy aircraft, other than scrolling the mouse over every single enemy airfield on the map.

Can some one help me with the shortcuts for these; I am sure they must exist, but I cannot figure them out. And yes I have read the manual including the hotkeys section. I am sure I am just missing it.

Robert Harris
Helpless

RE: I am sure there is an easier way to...

Post by Helpless »

1. Set all my air groups with less than 70 morale to "RS" (rest), other than using the commanders report/ air groups display and then clicking on the mission for each such individual air group 4 times to change them from "DN" to "RS" (and on subsequent turns one click to change them from RS to DN).

There should be a morale filter in CR group tab at the bottom.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Locating enemy aircraft. This is not easy. You have to have a detection level of at least (4?) in order to see planes on the fields. And the enemy will know he was detected and could easily move the aircraft on his own turn.

Best way to deal with the enemy air is not try and find every individual plane, but to try and deny him the airfields in the area you want to concentrate your air. The british used night time bombing to hit airfields, you should do the same. The Germans can do the same in return if you put all your NF's in Bomber Command. They can end up bombing WA Airfields in Sardinia/Corsica or Italy.

I usually use bomber command once a month to hit a large area of airfields at night just to see what they can dredge up. Afterwards you will have a decent detection level. (not sure why, if I bombed at night).

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

There is an item on the list which once completed should help locating non-empty enemy airfields.
11. It is difficult to locate enemy airgroups as all enemy airbases show green and mousing over every enemy airbase to see where he has stationed airgroups is very time consuming. Be great if enemy airbases are marked in 3 colours (green has detected airgroups, red no detected groups and maybe grey (perhaps black as no grey graphic) for airbases below DL threshold.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Thank you both.
Robert Harris

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”