My Historical Global War AAR #3.

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

My Historical Global War AAR #3.

Post by rkr1958 »

How Not to Start the Game as the Axis. Or, My Historical AAR #2 a FALSE START.

I have a habit of committing myself to starting AARs during the weekend. In this forum I’ve started and completed two:

(1) “Guadalcanal AAR – A Beginner's Foray into MWiF”, tm.asp?m=3598648#
(2) “My Historical Global War AAR”, tm.asp?m=3677581#

In the Slitherine’s forum, “MILITARY HISTORY™ Commander - Europe at War”, http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewfor ... 26fb8b993f
I’ve probably started and completed at least a dozen.

In Matrix’s Panzer Corps forum I started and completed one, “Fall Weiss AAR (Colonel) vs AI”, tm.asp?m=3505926#

By far the majority of my AARs playing Commander – Europe at War were with the Grand Strategy (CEaW-GS) variant and against a live opponent who wasn’t me (i.e., not solitaire). But this isn’t true for the three AARs that I’ve posted recently in the Matrix forums. The one with Panzer Corps was against the AI and the two in this forum were solitaire.

I admit that I enjoy the AARs most involving two, or more, live opponents, but I also enjoy, just slightly less but still immensely, the solitaire AARs. Also, I’m a bit envious of those that are playing and posting in the multi-player AARs; but, and this is a big but, at this stage in my life, work and family demands dictate that only solitaire play is possible for me. I do hold out hope that one day this wonderful game will have a worthy AI, but as this is not currently the case then solitaire it is.

To be honest my last AAR (“My Historical Global War AAR”), though immensely fun, was a lot of work and at least doubled the time it took me to complete the scenario. But the reward I received for all my work on the AAR was invaluable constructive feedback (criticism) that has significantly improved my play, increased my understanding of the rules and subtlies of this game.

So why would I want to do a second solitaire AAR if it’s so much work? Believe me, I’ve asked myself that question numerous times and I’m still asking myself even as I type this. As I ponder this question, there a many answers some which are selfish in nature and others (maybe one or two) that I would like to think of as noble (i.e., not selfish). Let me start with the noble answers first:

(1) If this AAR could help just one more person discover what I have about MWiF then it’s worth it. What I’ve discovered is that MWiF is the most addictive, engrossing and accurate strategic wargame of WW2 that I’ve ever experienced in my 40+ years of playing wargames.
(2) Generate more discussion, interest and enthusiasm for this forum and for MWiF in general.

Well, in the hopes that my “noble” answers don’t come across as too conceited, let my now give you my selfish answers for starting this AAR:

(3) Since it’s difficult to near impossible to learn from one’s mistakes when playing solitaire, then I hope to use this AAR as a vehicle for constructive criticism to improve my play.
(4) I also hope to use community feedback on this AAR to gain a better understanding of the rules.
(5) But, most importantly, I hope to use community feedback on this AAR to gain a better understand of what are good MWiF tactics and strategies.
(6) Finally, I find that posting an AAR gives my game more meaning and forces me not to get sloppy with my play. After all, when posting an AAR I’m opening my play up to community approval / disapproval. And the worst form of community disapproval is apathety (i.e., very little interest in following the AAR).

So in wrapping up this introduction, I do ask one BIG favor of the community in general. Please let me know if you find this AAR uninteresting or without much value. Your honesty in this case will save me a lot of wasted work in the production of this AAR. However, if you find that there is value and interest, then I see this AAR as a labor of love to hopefully promote and, possibly grow, this wonderful game to current and future MWiF addicts.
Ronnie
rkr1958

RE: Historical Global War AAR #2

Post by rkr1958 »

version 1.3.3. Optional Rules.

Attachments
OptionalRu..cription.jpg
OptionalRu..cription.jpg (343.72 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Strategies: I can’t help it. I like to follow the historical strategies, where they make sense. Since I’m more familiar with the War in Europe than the land war in China that goal holds true more in Europe than in the Pacific. While I’m not going to go into specific strategies in this post I will broadly outline the goals for both sides.

Axis (Germany-Japan-Italy). Their goal is total domination of the European and Asia continents. Unfortunately for Italy, North Africa / Africa is not part of that goal. Germany and Japan despise the communist. They will work together for the total defeat of the Soviet Union and for the Chinese communist. To prep for that massive conflict against the Soviet Union, the Germans will first take care of things in Poland, France and the Balkans. And while the Germans are doing that, the Japanese will take care of Mao and his communist forces in northern China. All other theaters are considered a distraction and will not receive any attention or resources other than that needed to maintain status quo, where feasible.

Western Allies (CW-USA-France). France’s goal is simple, it’s to survive as long as possible. CW’s goal, initially, is to help France survive as long as possible with the minimum sacrifice as possible. After that, it’s to hold on and show patience in the face of the Nazi juggernaut until the Soviet Union and USA are involved. USA’s job is to move from isolationist as quickly as possible to mobilization and then to war with Japan and Germany (and Italy of course). The Western Allies are the good guys are will not go about declaring war on minor countries. Also neither, France or the CW will declare war on a neutral Italy. However, the USA seeing the threat to democracy will declare war on Japan and Germany (and Italy) as soon as is practical.

The Soviet Union. The Soviets will do everything they can to keep the Nazi-Soviet pact in force for as long as possible. The Soviet’s focus, once at war, changes to first survival, then second to turning the tide of war against the Germans and then third to the total defeat of Germany.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

CW - Setup. Convoys and Production.

In addition to keeping France alive as long as possible, convoys and production is Britain's second concern. In fact, one might argue that it's Britain's first concern. I have grown to love the convoy and production part of this game. In setting up the CW convoy lines I've made use of all convoys (81 of 81 used, i.e., 0 unused convoys) and have minimized the amount of oil going to production. That is, maximized the amount of oil saved and for use on a rainy day. My goal is to max out build points each turn while saving as much oil as possible to England proper as insurance against German u-boat and Italian submarine attacks. Also, saved oil is a good source for resources to the Soviet Union once such an option exist.

Attachments
CWConvoys..oduction.jpg
CWConvoys..oduction.jpg (675.29 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup - Western Europe.

Attachments
SetupWesternEurope.jpg
SetupWesternEurope.jpg (789.23 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup - Balkans and the Med.

Mmm ... I wonder what the (neutral) Italians might be up to?

Attachments
SetupBalkansMed.jpg
SetupBalkansMed.jpg (628.55 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup - Eastern Europe.

Three whole Germany Army Groups (Von Brock, Rundstedt and von Leeb) and the entire Luftwaffe are on maneuvers in Prussia, Eastern Germany and Czechoslovakia. Coincidentally, the Soviets also seem to be on maneuvers next to Bessarabia. Interestingly too, a lone Soviet Garrison seems to be doing something on the border with Eastern Poland.

Attachments
SetupEasternEurope.jpg
SetupEasternEurope.jpg (929.61 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup - Northern China.

In northern China, two Japanese army groups led by Terachi approaching from Manchuria and by Umezu approaching from the east are posed to move on the communist Chinese. First though, Umezu will have to clear the nationalist held cities of Chengchow and Nanyong to get to the communists.

Attachments
SetupNorthernChina.jpg
SetupNorthernChina.jpg (996.04 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup - Japan.

In Japan, Yamamoto is making final preparations for standing up a third army group headed for Northern China.

Attachments
SetupJapan.jpg
SetupJapan.jpg (729.8 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup - Nationalist China.

Against Nationalist China, it's purely defensive and holding on what the Japanese have now.

Attachments
SetupNati..istChina.jpg
SetupNati..istChina.jpg (660.38 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Sep/Oct 1939. Axis #1. The Polish Setup

Polish army units fire on German border forces during Germany's defensive war maneuvers. Adolf, who is opposed to war, has no choice in the matter. He must move immediately to counter the aggressive and lawless Polish actions in order to protect German citizens and property inside of Poland. It's war with Poland and given the recent track record of the Western Allies, a war that they will not likely get involved in. After all, "Peace at any price" is their slogan. Adolf's slogan, interestingly enough, is "Peace at MY price" and fits well with that of the Western Allies.

Attachments
1AxisPolishSetup.jpg
1AxisPolishSetup.jpg (714.62 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Sep/Oct 1939. Axis #1. Luftwaffe Ground Strikes.

Goering's Luftwaffe is the first instrument of the Germany military to draw blood. Ground strikes manage to disorganize both defenders in Lodz and two of the three defenders in Warsaw. While an elite 5-3 Polish infantry corps in Warsaw did manage to stay organize through the ground strikes, the Polish HQ unit Rydz in Lodz didn't.

Attachments
1AxisGermanGSTK.jpg
1AxisGermanGSTK.jpg (513.58 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Sep/Oct 1939. Axis #1. Land Combat. Lodz, Poland.

The Germans make four land attacks against Poland this impulse. All but the first one, which is against Lodz, is automatic. Note that the 7:1 attack will be conducted by the Germans on the Blitzkrieg table and is therefore automatic. So only the Lodz attack isn't. This is the attack that the Germans start with.

For the attack on Lodz, the odds were: (1) 60% chance of capturing Lodz and staying organized, (2) 20% chance of capturing Lodz and becoming disorganized and (3) 20% chance of NOT capturing Lodz and becoming disorganized. German HQ units were on the standby to reorganize units if they became disorganize to mitigate that risk. However, there wasn't anything they could do to mitigate the 20% risk of not capturing the city. Fortunately for the Germans, they rolled well. Lodz is captured and the attackers remain organized.

Attachments
1AxisLC..andLodz.jpg
1AxisLC..andLodz.jpg (409.56 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Sep/Oct 1939. Axis #1. Land Combat. Poland[50, 47].

Well, the 7:1 attack that I thought that the Germans would get to decide on which table to use I was wrong. I thought that the mot corps and tank destroyer division against the Polish infantry corps would give the Germans the choice, but it didn't. The choice went to the CW who selected the assault table. So at 7:1 on that table there was a 30% chance that the German attackers would be disorganized and a 10% chance that they would lose a unit. Imagine my frustration (as the German player) when I rolled a 2. My attackers including a HQ unit were disorganized for sure. Imagine my delight (as the German player) when I realized I got the fractional odds and this, indeed made the attack automatic.

Attachments
1AxisLC..nd5047.jpg
1AxisLC..nd5047.jpg (407.61 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Sep/Oct 1939. Axis #1. Poland.

A very good start for the Germans to Case White, the invasion and conquest of Poland.

Attachments
1AxisPoland.jpg
1AxisPoland.jpg (728.09 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Sep/Oct 1939. Axis #1. Northern China.

The IJA capture the Nationalist city of Chengchow in an automatic attack. There's no reaction by the USA.

Attachments
1AxisNorthernChina.jpg
1AxisNorthernChina.jpg (917.73 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
Ronnie
composer99

Post by composer99 »

Good start for the Axis. Really goes to show the kind of beatdown the Germans can put on if they go full-on against Poland.

Count me in as someone who will be following this AAR with interest.

I often like to "do too much" as Germany in this early stage of the game, but the nice thing about a more focused/limited campaign is that it's less susceptible to being shut down if the weather goes bad, where a more spread-out/"get it all done right away" approach can bog down.
~ Composer99
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

Sep/Oct 1939. Axis #1. The Polish Setup

Polish army units fire on German border forces during Germany's defensive war maneuvers. Adolf, who is opposed to war, has no choice in the matter. He must move immediately to counter the aggressive and lawless Polish actions in order to protect German citizens and property inside of Poland. It's war with Poland and given the recent track record of the Western Allies, a war that they will not likely get involved in. After all, "Peace at any price" is their slogan. Adolf's slogan, interestingly enough, is "Peace at MY price" and fits well with that of the Western Allies.

warspite1

rkr1968 who do you get two flyouts showing in that screenshot please?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

I believe it is a cut and copy and paste he has done. The flyouts are anyhow too far from the "linked" units to be sourcing from the in-game system.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Cohen

I believe it is a cut and copy and paste he has done. The flyouts are anyhow too far from the "linked" units to be sourcing from the in-game system.
warspite1

Yes I know that is not possible "in-game" I was wondering how exactly rkr got the effect looking so good.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “After Action Report”