Japanese FW-190, Art Request

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

fodder

Japanese FW-190, Art Request

Post by fodder »

Has anyone ever done or can someone do a Fw-190 in Japanese markings?

An early model A-2 would be fantastic!

Thanks for any help!
fodder

RE: Japanese FW-190, Art Request

Post by fodder »

Well, I took one of Gary's 190's and played with it. The Japanese never copied anything exactly, so I changed the cockpit and tail to a more Japanese style. Then I colored it in as best as I could.

Attachments
Jap190.jpg
Jap190.jpg (7.3 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Man, the thought of the Japanese, with FW-190's <shudder>
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Alikchi2

Post by Alikchi2 »

This isn't what you're looking for, but this guy has done a bunch of good art of Japanese Heinkel He 100s, if there's any interest for that as well.

http://comradeloganov.deviantart.com/ar ... -363236383
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

This isn't what you're looking for, but this guy has done a bunch of good art of Japanese Heinkel He 100s, if there's any interest for that as well.

http://comradeloganov.deviantart.com/ar ... -363236383

Thanks that's a nice site. [:)]
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Man, the thought of the Japanese, with FW-190's <shudder>

Just when you thought it was safe.. Ha..Ha..Harr
fodder

Post by fodder »

The more I look at my first attempt, the more it looks like a George. [:(]

I may just stick with the 190 silhouette, something like this.

Attachments
2ndjap190.jpg
2ndjap190.jpg (3.1 KiB) Viewed 206 times
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Japanese Focke-Wulf Fw 190
From "Nihon Kokuki Shoshyu Vol.6" (Encyclopedia of Japanese Aircraft Vol.6), Shupan Kyodo, January 1972:
In 1943 the IJNAF imported one FW-190 A-5 from Germany transferred in a submarine. Tests between this plane and the Ki-84 and other single seat fighters were contacted mainly in Fusa airfield. Compared to other Japanese fighters, it was better in acceleration, climbing performance, armament etc. Furthermore, it was an inspirational design and Japanese airplane manufacturers learnt a lot about mass production planning and techniques. Together with the Me-210A they were the last planes imported by Japan

From Koku Fan magazine, February 1997 issue and the book "Rikugun Jiken Sentoki-tai" (Army Test Fighter Unit) by Watanabe Yoji, Green Arrow, September 1999:
In charge of the tests contacted with the FW-190 in Fusa was LCDR Jimbo Susumu who was second in command of the Ki-84 tests.
Second in command of the FW-190 tests was LCDR Aramaki Yoshitsugu.
LCDR Aramaki, who was averagely built for a Japanese pilot, found the size of the cockpit of FW-190 exactly to his measurements, neither too narrow as in BF-109E, nor too spacious as in P-40. During take-off it didn't have deflection tendencies and had very good response to controls, going straight.
It had adequate climbing power and its acceleration speed during vertical flight, was exceptional. Responded very good to controls during manoeuvring and although it didn't have the diving acceleration speed of BF-109, it was good enough. According to LCDR Aramaki the plane's total performance was between the Type 4 (Ki-84 Hayate) and the Type 5 (Ki-100) fighter.
But the high reliability of the electric systems of the plane was exceptional and the difference in the manufacturing level was apparent everywhere.
From the top three planes that were test flown (BF-109E7, FW-190 A5, P-51C) the best was the FW-190A5.
WO Takezawa Toshiro remembers that the Focke-Wulf was a good plane, better that the Messerschmitt. Compared with the Messerschmitt, the Ki-61 was a better plane but in order to combat fighters, the FW was better than Ki-61 because the engine was more reliable. But the P-51 was better than the FW.
The four 20mm cannons and the two 7.92mm machine guns that the FW had, were more powerful than any Japanese single fighter had. Nevertheless, the range of Type 2 fighter (Ki-44 Shoki) was better.

From Koku Fan magazine, April 1957 issue, Aramaki interview:
Compared to Japanese aircraft it had good speed but flight performance was inferior. Compared to Me109 the Fw190 was easier to fly. Even though Aramaki was quite thin and wore summer suit, the cockpit of the Me109 was too tight for him. The Fw190's cockpit was more spacious so the control stick was easier to operate but not as comfortable as the Japanese aircraft. The Japanese type closer to the Fw190 was the Ki-84. There were no problems during circular turn and it was a very balanced aircraft overall.
Answering a question about the final fate of the aircraft, Aramaki replies that it was given on loan to a reconnaissance unit but doesn't know anything else.

From Aireview #36, October 1954, article by Kuroe Yasuhiko:
The Me109 and the Fw190 were very similar aircraft in character. The Fw190 was really horrible during circular turn but starting speed was good and it was very pleasant to fly. It was also very reliable and a fine example of German technology.
During one of the test flight he had to land without extending the flaps. Upon inspection it was found that one of the ground crew members had forgotten a wrench inside the wing. The lesson of this was that if there was a problem with the aircraft it would be due to human error. A characteristic of German aircraft.
During mock-up air battle testing if the aircraft was in unfavourable position and the pilot chose to escape in a sharp dive, the pursuing Ki-84 had no chance to follow the Fw190.
Sudden speed acceleration was great and resembled a short distance speed runner. During high speeds it flew very smoothly giving a very favourable impression of an aircraft designed for speed giving an advantage during high speed air battles.

Good photos taken by Kariya ? in September or early October 1943, in Maru magazine, June 1974 issue taken during a fun flight from Fusa to Tokorozawa. In the cockpit is pilot LCDR Jimbo who passed away during the war. Unfortunately the tail of the Fw190 is not visible in any of the photos so it is unknown if there was any marking.

Attachments
box_art.jpg
box_art.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 205 times

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Attachments
JapaneseFw190.jpg
JapaneseFw190.jpg (135.69 KiB) Viewed 203 times

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

If Japan had chosen to produce the Fw-190, they may have chosen to fit an engine already in production rather than start up license production of yet another engine. Their engine industry was already stretched to the limit as it was.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
fodder

Post by fodder »

I did a top, but I'm not very good at this.

Attachments
top190.jpg
top190.jpg (1.68 KiB) Viewed 205 times
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

If Japan had chosen to produce the Fw-190, they may have chosen to fit an engine already in production rather than start up license production of yet another engine. Their engine industry was already stretched to the limit as it was.

Bill

It's funny, I backed into the the FW-190 allied code name "Fred" because of the engine.

Mods are strange at times, one little change and they can take you places you never thought of going.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: fodder

I did a top, but I'm not very good at this.

It looks very good Fodder..I think you are being overly critical of yourself..

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Bill

So true..Many of us have heard the fact that instead of an "assembly line", Zeroes themselves were made by perhaps hundreds of bid contractors with the planes being carted all over at a horses pace, from one small shop here, to have one part added, then to yet another small shop, perhaps in yet another village..

We have seen pics of some of their assembly liknes, but they never got the concept of completing thier planes on that same line.
Japan was pretty much tapped out, human beings being their only single commodity of abundance in the end..

Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: m10bob
Bill
So true..Many of us have heard the fact that instead of an "assembly line", Zeroes themselves were made by perhaps hundreds of bid contractors with the planes being carted all over at a horses pace, from one small shop here, to have one part added, then to yet another small shop, perhaps in yet another village..
We have seen pics of some of their assembly liknes, but they never got the concept of completing thier planes on that same line.
Japan was pretty much tapped out, human beings being their only single commodity of abundance in the end..
Gosh, what is it with people that think that all things Naziful are wonderful. I just don't get it. The plane was ok. The Japanese thought it was ok, but not all that great, so what's with this "gotta have a Focke Wulf" in the database crap? Only thing it had going for it was guns, but the Japs coulda put those guns on their planes, too, but didn't. Why not?

National technical means produce National items. That is the paradigm. Bun-bun says think about it.

[ed] Bun-bun thinks M10bob is smart.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
fodder

Post by fodder »

Over taxed engine and aircraft production have already been addressed in this mod. To keep it some what balanced, for everything I've added to this mod, I've removed something. The Fw-190 A-2 Fred is now in game. One or two more versions of this aircraft will have to be added, but the first one is the hardest. Please look at the numbers I've given to this version for anything too far out of wack. thanks.

Attachments
fred.jpg
fred.jpg (54.81 KiB) Viewed 204 times
Erkki

Post by Erkki »

Looking good! The Fw 190 was a revolutionary, deadly (to its foes) machine with combat record to prove it. You may want to reduce the MVR a bit for the 2nd highest band though as the 190 achieved its top speed below 7000 m. Like most of the 109s. Maybe increase the service rating too to 2 or 3 as its now made with Japanese inefficiency and lack of engineers?

The MG151 cannon's stats in game already represent the use of Japanese ammo, but note that until the A-6 the outer wing guns were MG-FF/M with lower ROF and ammo capacity. If that one is not in game, the Type 99 or 99-2 should be similar-ish with Japanese ammo again!

What do you think?

Edit: oops, looks like a misread the stats. Nevermind about the mvr. :)
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: Symon
Bill
Gosh, what is it with people that think that all things Naziful are wonderful. I just don't get it. The plane was ok. The Japanese thought it was ok, but not all that great, so what's with this "gotta have a Focke Wulf" in the database crap? Only thing it had going for it was guns, but the Japs coulda put those guns on their planes, too, but didn't. Why not?

National technical means produce National items. That is the paradigm. Bun-bun says think about it.

I'm not arguing. I know your a pilot, and you have your act together far more than I in many fields. That said, I read both Gabreski and Johnson had a very healthy respect for the FW-190, much more than the ME-109. As they were there, and I was not, I go from their observations.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
bartrat

Post by bartrat »

FW-190 is a great fighter of WW2. The Japanese making it great numbers or at all... I do not think so. It is a heavy, strong airframe. Japanese liked light designs. The engine would have been a real back breaker on the already over loaded Japanese aircraft industry.
Still have fun with it in your mod, mods can be just for fun!!!
WW2 logistics fanboy and
Rat Rancher
Rat ranching for fun and profit, had better be fun, cause there is no profit.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

ORIGINAL: Symon

I'm not arguing. I know your a pilot, and you have your act together far more than I in many fields. That said, I read both Gabreski and Johnson had a very healthy respect for the FW-190, much more than the ME-109. As they were there, and I was not, I go from their observations.
Robert S Johnson was one of my heroes...His "Jug" had call letters HVP...Good writer and did not need a ghost writer..

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”