FAILURES FOR MULTI-LAUNCH MISSIONS

This forum supports the Early Access Program for the PC for Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM). iOS, Android and Mac releases are still in development. SPM is the ultimate game of space exploration. It is the mid 1950s and the race for dominance between the US and the Soviet Union is about to move into a new dimension: space. Take charge of the US or Soviet space agencies - your duty is be the first to the moon. Carefully manage your budget by opening programs, spending R&D funds on improving the hardware, recruiting personnel and astronauts and launching space missions in this realistic turn based strategy game.

Moderator: MOD_BuzzAldrin

wegman58

FAILURES FOR MULTI-LAUNCH MISSIONS

Post by wegman58 »

I tried the Gemini 6/7 mission type. (Two manned meeting in orbit). Mission 1 launched, in space. Mission 2 aborted during the countdown. Mission Control jumped to fail - nothing about bringing crew 1 down. Looking at the forums, this same problem seemed to happen during development (7.17 thoughts).

You need to get the crew in space down, don't you?

And Gemini 6/7 was a kludge developed because the docking flights Agena didn't make it into orbit, wasn't in the grand plan. Quick thinking took advantage of a 14 day mission being up long enough to be a rendezvous target - now it seems to be a required step to avoid a docking penalty for missed steps.
Bill Goin
Nacho84

RE: FAILURES FOR MULTI-LAUNCH MISSIONS

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello wegman,

If the mission fails in the second launch, the game won't show the animation for the rest of the mission but you can assume that the first crew came back down in one piece. You'll find the members of the crew in the astronauts center the following season.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
CV60

RE: FAILURES FOR MULTI-LAUNCH MISSIONS

Post by CV60 »

You are correct in that Gemini 6/7 was a kludge developed after the GTV was destroyed. Historically, the Gemini 4 mission was the first attempt to rendezvous in space, by rendezvousing with the spent booster of the GLV. Gemini 4 failed to conduct the rendezvous for several reasons:

1) NASA engineers had not yet worked out the idiosyncrasies of orbital mechanics involved in rendezvous

2) The stage was dumping its residual propellant, causing it to move around in various directions relative to the Gemini.

3) There were only two running lights on the stage

4) There was no radar on board Gemini

To get rendezvous experience before an Agena mission, Gemini 5 was to practice a rendezvous with with a "pod" deployed from the spacecraft. However, problems forced a switch to a simpler "phantom rendezvous," where the Gemini 5 maneuvered to a predetermined position in space instead of rendezvousing with the pod. Gemini 5's success in doing so was partially the result of the rendezvous problems uncovered in the Gemini 4 flight. In summary, NASA tried several times to get rendezvous experience before an actual Agena docking, and the Gemini 4 experience suggests that such attempts were necessary to work out the problems prior to a live docking.

I tried the Gemini 6/7 mission type. (Two manned meeting in orbit). Mission 1 launched, in space. Mission 2 aborted during the countdown. Mission Control jumped to fail - nothing about bringing crew 1 down. Looking at the forums, this same problem seemed to happen during development (7.17 thoughts). You need to get the crew in space down, don't you? And Gemini 6/7 was a kludge developed because the docking flights Agena didn't make it into orbit, wasn't in the grand plan. Quick thinking took advantage of a 14 day mission being up long enough to be a rendezvous target - now it seems to be a required step to avoid a docking penalty for missed steps.
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”