Graphics (Newbie question)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Brambo

Graphics (Newbie question)

Post by Brambo »

When I open a base window or unit window the writing is very blocky and some of the letters merge together making it hard to read sometimes. I can't find an option to change the video settings in the game.

Is there anything I can do to make the writing clearer or should I get some stronger glasses :)

Thanks in advance guys.

Trev

PS I love the detail in this game, only had it three days and not started a game yet, just enjoying getting aquainted with all the buttons, maps, rules.....
Jim D Burns

RE: Graphics (Newbie question)

Post by Jim D Burns »

Probably a screen resolution issue. Try using command line switches, I use this: -f -px1440 -py900

I know there is a document that lays out all the command line switches, I just can't remember where it is located. Someone will chime in I'm sure.

Jim
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Pasted from the beta patch notes:

There are also a number of other command line switches that may be useful to players.
To use any of these, Right click to edit the Properties on the “Quick Start” shortcut to the game
(located in your Start Menu folder for War in the Pacific: Admiral’s Edition). Do not edit the
default desktop link, which points to an “autorun.exe” as that won’t work. You have to use the
Quick Start link which points directly to the game executable. You’ll want to add these to the
end of the “Target” field to get them to work. For example, when you are done your target field
could look like this:
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral
Edition.exe" -wd –altFont –cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw
Performance Switches
(Please note that the old –dual switch has been removed in favor of the below combination of
more configurable switches)
-SingleCpuStart : Starts the game in single CPU mode. Switches to multi CPU mode if
available later. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially AMD
processors.
-SingleCpuOrders : Starts the game in single CPU mode and stays in single CPU for the orders
phase, switches to multi CPU mode for running the turn, then switches back to single mode for
the next orders phase. We’ve found this to be useful on some multi-core systems, especially
AMD processors. Use this or –SingleCpuStart, not both.
If either of the above are used with one of the -cpu# switches noted below, it will use the
specified CPU, otherwise both of these switches default to the first CPU. If a -cpu# switch and
one of these -Single switches are used, the turns will always be processed in multi-processor
mode.
-cpu# : (cpu1, cpu2, cpu3, cpu4) Switches set the cpu affinity for multi cpu systems. It will do
nothing for single cores and will default to using all cores if a core is designated which is not
there (for example using -cpu3 on a dual core system). We’ve found this to be very useful on
some multi-core systems, especially Intel processors.
If used alone, the -cpu# switches will keep the game running on the CPU specified all the time. If
used with the -SingleCpuStart switch, it will only use that core when starting the game. If used
with the -SingleCpuOrders switch, it will stay in single CPU mode for starting and the orders
phase, but will run in multicore. If one of the SingleCpu switches is used without a -cpu# switch,
it will default to cpu 1 when it is in single core.
-multiaudio : Invokes a fix that changes audio timing for multicore machines.
-dd_sw : Handles DirectDraw via Software. We’ve found this can make a huge difference on
many systems as far as reducing interface lag and making button clicking in-game more
responsive. On a few newer systems this can cause some visual glitches and slow combat
animations though, so give it a try and remove it if it’s not ideal on your system.
Performance Examples
For example, on an Intel Dual Core system here, we use the following switches:
-cpu2 –multiaudio –dd_sw
On an AMD multi-core system, we use the following switches:
-SingleCpuOrders –cpu2 –multiaudio
Try these switches in different combinations to see what works best for your system as what
works well on one may not be ideal for another. However, we have yet to find a system that
didn’t benefit at all from at least one of these switches performance-wise, so test them out!
Wide Screen Support
New in the third official update:
-px -py
To have any effect x must be greater than 1024 and y must be greater than 768. If values less
than or equal to px=1024 and py=768 are used the original values of 1024 and 768 will be
substituted.
Spanning mode is not supported and user should ensure that both the video adapter and monitor
support the px and py values.
We were unable to test on all possible monitor combinations, if you experience issues you should
immediately remove the –px –py from your command line switches to revert to standard display
behavior.
Examples:
-f -px1920 –py1200 for a 1920x1200 monitor in full screen mode
-w –px1680 –py1050 for windowed mode, so that the window is
within desktop
Other Switches
-colorBlind : Support for color blindness
-deepColor : Enables 32 bit color, intended for Full Screen mode
-altFont : Enables alternate in-game font (Lucida Sans Unicode)
-w : Windowed mode
-wd : Windowed mode, daily autosaves
-ww : Windowed mode, weekly autosaves
-fd : Full screen, daily autosaves
-fw : Full screen, weekly autosaves
-r : Show Roads
-autosave : Daily autosave
-archive : Put data reports in archive directory
-skipVideo : Skip the intro video when starting the game
-fixedArt : Will not use rotating images
Brambo

Post by Brambo »

Thanks for your help guys, just got up after a night shift so will give it a try. Cheers.
Brambo

Post by Brambo »

What you told me worked, thanks.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

That -altFont thing made me able to play the game without going blind. Awesome stuff.
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

I am a small problem I have 2 copys of the game installed one running the last beta...with command line like this.

-w-deepColor -cpu2 -multiaudio -dd_sw -altfont -px1920 -py1080 -f and its looks perfect and is zoomed out a little from a stranded look you get...

the new install has the same command line but does not look the same is more zoomed in and not so nice....and the new update.

I am using topo`s maps on both and have tried different versions of the maps but cannot get it to look like my first install.

confused

Tigercub
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Major Shane

Post by Major Shane »

I want to say thanks. I just saw this post and was able to finally get full, wide screen view for the game on my laptop after 2 years of playing. Awesome to skip the video to. This was a very helpful thread.
Ridinroun

Post by Ridinroun »

Thanks for this thread. You solved a problem I had.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”