This game has killed all my interest in other games

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

erichswafford

This game has killed all my interest in other games

Post by erichswafford »

Has anyone noticed that this game sort of makes most other games seem dull and...shallow? Maybe I'm just really into the subject matter, but for the last month or 2 I find myself starting to play something else and about 30 minutes later I'm thinking "This is stupid. I could be playing Command instead of running around shooting people in this ridiculous unrealistic game."

Once you really start figuring out how everything works, it's just a lot of fun to see what happens. Often, it's something a little different each time and I'm always left thinking "I bet I could do better next time".

Today I set up a flight of 2 MRCA Tornado's to take turns lasing a target (under the cloud cover) while the other ran in to drop its laser-guided bombs from above the clouds. I thought to myself: "Jesus, this is so cool." No, there's no big explosions or graphics, but it just felt so satisfying that here was a game where things work as they should. You can come up with real-life solutions that seem like they should work, and often they do. What a great way to explore the interaction of all these complex weapon and sensor systems. I felt really satisfied that I figured out how to drop those LGB's on-target, even with the cloud cover lower than the permissible release altitude.

I could go on, but you get the point hopefully.

"It is right to learn, even from the enemy."
- Ovid
Dogsbody

RE: This game has killed all my interest in other games

Post by Dogsbody »

So true!! [;)]
Because this sim is so realistic, I rather feel Im actually coordinating then just playing. Pretty much puts my other Sims a step behind.
magi

Post by magi »

^^^ what you guys say… It totally addictive…
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

Yes, but admittedly I do need to play dumb games for their simple pleasures sometimes.
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

ORIGINAL: hellfi

Yes, but admittedly I do need to play dumb games for their simple pleasures sometimes.
I hear you. My adrenaline fix comes from sim-racing. But it's intense and I can't just do it for hours without getting, well, mentally tired.
- Ovid
Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

Thx Condor, don't know why I didn't think of that before, about lasing below cloud cover for bomb carriers above. I play flight sims and the occasional Battlefield 3 for my high speed/low drag gaming fix. But like you said, can't do it for hours on end.
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
erichswafford

Post by erichswafford »

ORIGINAL: Sakai007

Thx Condor, don't know why I didn't think of that before, about lasing below cloud cover for bomb carriers above. I play flight sims and the occasional Battlefield 3 for my high speed/low drag gaming fix. But like you said, can't do it for hours on end.
No prob. I sort of figured it out by accident. I had manually specified a too-low altitude on one of the laser-pod-equipped planes and so it couldn't release its laser-guided bombs, so I was really surprised when the other plane did and I saw the little red laser line going from the too-low plane to the target. That was righteous serendipity for sure, otherwise known as "Luck" :)

- Ovid
magi

Post by magi »

I also play counterstrike… And belong to this clan… We been playing together for years… And it's almost like a digital family… Real fun for sure... But command is such a different venue.. it's so well done....
gord96

Post by gord96 »

It is a crazy game. I still play other more 'intense' games but Command is special. 90% of the time I don't even play scenarios, but load up the scenario editor and mess around.

'I'll take one Soviet nuclear sub and see what it does to this unsuspecting enemy base.'
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

This is gonna sound bad, but I haven't played much Command lately. I say that only because when I start, I end up being consumed by it for days and weeks until I come up for air again. I don't have any other game that does that, but I can't do it all the time.
ziolo

Post by ziolo »

I played Sonalysts' Janes Fleet Command for many years since it was launched in the late nineties and played also the FC NWS version. They did not run on Windows 7 and had always a lot of issues with stability, even on WindowsXT.
When I found news about CMANO I knew this was the game, the modern version of Coomand, that I was looking for.
The game is great, now with SeaHag running even better! [:D]
C/MANO - The Digital Wargame of the Year
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

I still mess with Jane's at times, it's still on Steam, works on win7/8.1 if you alt/tab out at start to get past the old intro video that locks or install a Glide wrapper. It definitely shows how far ahead CMANO is to look at that nowadays.
Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

I can say one game I don't even have installed anymore is Harpoon. It's not that I don't like Harpoon, quite the opposite, it's the game that got me into computer wargaming way back in the 90's on AOL along with Steel Panthers 3. But Command is light years ahead of it, so I don't see the point in going back.

I also spend far mote time in the editor then playing scenarios. If nothing on the list really scratches whatever itch I have that day, I will just build my own. Granted, their light on random events and scoring, but I know what needs to be done and what would be considered a victory so I don't need all that.
AdmiralSteve

Post by AdmiralSteve »

I tallied up the games that I purchased over the years to satisfy my need for military warfare from the entire Harpoon series, to Silent Hunter, a lit bit of Janes F-15 and Fleet Command, Navy Field, Steam and Iron, Ghost Recon, Point of Attack and probably more than I'd like to admit. I think that if I purchased all those games at once in 2015 dollars, it would force my wife to get a second job.
Command:Modern Air and Naval Warfare will probably be my last.
“There are no extraordinary men...just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with.”
Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. 1882-1959

Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

ORIGINAL: AdmSteebe

it would force my wife to get a second job.

buhahahaha that made my night, needed a good giggle.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

What's funny is there are only maybe a half dozen of the hundreds of wargames I have bought that I played regularly. Command is one of those that do something with at least once a day. List of them...

Steel Panthers
Harpoon in all of its iterations
Combat Mission in all of its iterations
Command
Squad Battles
Il-2

Command, CM, and Il-2 are the only ones I still play.
DirtyFred

Post by DirtyFred »

in the long line of naval simulations - CMANO is the best ever!

but i enjoy other games as well :)
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”