refit v ready reinforcement q

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

BrianG

refit v ready reinforcement q

Post by BrianG »

Under the new rules a % of reinforcements are held for ready units?

If this is correct, those ready reinforcements should go to front line units.

In one of my games as Russian, it seems that unready units in the rear are getting stronger even if I want them to get zilch.

I think it may be from this % number above.

The rule s/b that ready units within 2 hexes of front should get those and not rear non-refit units.

Is any of this correct?

Thanks
Chris21wen

RE: refit v ready reinforcement q

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: BrianG

Under the new rules a % of reinforcements are held for ready units?

If this is correct, those ready reinforcements should go to front line units.

In one of my games as Russian, it seems that unready units in the rear are getting stronger even if I want them to get zilch.

I think it may be from this % number above.

The rule s/b that ready units within 2 hexes of front should get those and not rear non-refit units.

Is any of this correct?

Thanks

If you are patched to the latest then it looks as if it's working correctly. Units in the rear will receive replacements as well as those in the front but priority is given those in the front or any that are in refit. If you are short of manpower then change the Max TOE % for units.
morvael

Post by morvael »

In the same replacement phase units in the rear have higher priority than front to simulate difficulty of reinforcing at the front line. MP to rail is major factor though. Nobody should be starved though, but those in more comfortable location will get more faster.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

I have about 70 brigades at Toe of 15%. Plus many low toe returning divisions. All the late 41 new ones. My point is.. many of my rear units (at this crucial time) I would rather starve of replacements but can't. They grow and grow b/c of their very low toe and are taking a very high % of the 'set aside' replacements. Its only Jan 42 and I am seriously thinking of deleting half or doing the dreaded merge.

Thus lots of late 41 and Jan 42 troops are not going where Stalin would like them to go b/c some have to go to the non-refit troops b/c they are so below 50% toe.

I think you need a button for 'no refit at all'

imo

morvael

Post by morvael »

All units want to get back to strength, it's their natural goal and right. You have the option to reduce max TOE, though only to 50% - perhaps this limit should be reduced to 15-25%. Try to move those shell units closer to the front. Also, make all armies at the front out of 9 divisions (18 CP) and keep 2-6 divisions on hex back in refit. Rotate and repeat.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Remember that IRL it was always the case - units at the front were starved of replacements, regiments of battalion size, companies of platoon size. It was hard to reinforce them at front positions. Meanwhile full strength units were assembled at the rear. You can try to put some of the shell units on refit to get them faster to strength and then send them to the front, instead of dispersing replacements between many of them.
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

Reducing the TOE limit sounds he best idea to me.

BUT why not go the full hog and be allowed to set 1-100%
morvael

Post by morvael »

Maybe someone has some real life numbers - what were the sizes of cadre/skeleton units? IMHO not 1%, but certainly less than 50%.
Huw Jones

Post by Huw Jones »

I don't have any numbers from WW2, but a cadre is not very large, a few percent, just some NCOs, Officers and a few junior ranks to act as gofers, so maybe 5-100%, unless somebody has specific information.
morvael

Post by morvael »

http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pu ... GSD225.pdf

20-25%?
The structure and organization of a cadre unit will determine both its cost and its readiness. In our base case analysis, we assume that cadre units retain 25 percent of their personnel during peacetime and that they will be assigned some other duties beyond simply maintaining their cadre unit. CBO (1992) estimated the cost of this type cadre unit to be about 20 percent of an AC unit.
A cadre unit with minimal manning—about 4 percent to 5 percent of a normal unit’s total manning
Initially, the cadre was to comprise ten percent of a division (172 officers and 1,190 enlisted men) but it was increased several times until it reached twelve percent
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

25%

Lets all remember not everyone in a division carrys a rifle or gives orders.

Support units were part of the shell so when trained riflemens ect were ready the divisions could head to the front, but the general support had to be "trained" and in place first.

So anything below 25% would not be a shell "rdy" unit
Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”