COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE.

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

kirk23

RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE.

Post by kirk23 »

New unit type that could be available for all Nations,Observation Balloons? ( At the present time this is just a test addition for the game)[:D]

Attachments
NewUnitT..Balloon..jpg
NewUnitT..Balloon..jpg (200.9 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Observation Balloons have a sighting range off 5

Attachments
Observatio..geoff5.jpg
Observatio..geoff5.jpg (290.41 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Russian Observation Balloon in the production screen.Also note Destroyers are a buildable option in game now,but as stated earlier,at the present time these are just trial runs for possible inclusion to the game.[;)]

Attachments
RussianOb..nscreen.jpg
RussianOb..nscreen.jpg (207.18 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Kirk

Can you give a purchase price? How long to deploy once purchased? Upkeep cost in PP? Loss of strength, would that cause a minus MP? It looks to have movement range of 10 hexes, can it move over water hexes? Can it be disbanded? Does it detect submarines? Can it defend a hex (It appears to do so)? Does supply affect it's function in any way?

Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Observation Balloon stats = Cost 5 Production points, 1 Manpower, 1 Upkeep & only 2 Turns to build.

These units have only one purpose in game, and that is for visual detection of your enemies unit positions.

They can spot all unit types,on Land,Air & Sea,but they can't attack anything![;)]

Movement range is just 1 hex.But they can be transported by Rail & Sea.

Attachments
ObservationBalloon.jpg
ObservationBalloon.jpg (321.82 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

If the balloon has 5 hex LOS, cannot the any enemy unit see the balloon at the same distance?
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

No other Units can't see beyond their own Line of Sight distance.

LAND UNITS

Garrison Line of Sight = 1

Infantry Line of Sight = 1

Armour Line of Sight = 1

Artillery Line of Sight = 1

Rail Gun Line of Sight = 1

Armoured Train Line of Sight = 1

Armoured CAR Line of Sight = 3

Cavalry Line of Sight = 2

AIRCRAFT

Fighter Line of Sight = 3

Bomber Line of Sight = 3

Zeppelin Line of Sight = 4

Balloon Line of Sight = 5

On the battlefield world war 1, Observation Balloon's played a very important roll, in that they could see what your enemy was upto, hence the need to use Fighter Aircraft to fly Balloon busting missions![;)]

The crucial role of observation balloons.

An observation balloon was both a vulnerable and a valuable target: the balloon was moored in a stationary position and was lifted by flammable hydrogen gas, whose use was necessitated by the scarcity of helium reserves among European powers. The observer, suspended in the wicker basket beneath, typically had a wireless transmitter, binoculars and/or a long-range camera. His job was to observe actions on the front-line and behind it, to spot enemy troop movements or unusual activity of any sort, and to call down artillery fire onto any worthwhile targets. Balloon observers were consequently targets of great importance to both sides, especially before any sort of infantry action or offensive, so individual pilots, flights or whole squadrons were frequently ordered to attack balloons, either in an attempt to destroy them or at least disrupt their observation activities.[1] Pilots on both sides tried to attack from a height that could enable them to fire without getting too close to the hydrogen and pull away fast. They were also cautioned not to go below 1000 feet in order to avoid machine gun and AA fire.

Due to their importance, balloons were usually given heavy defenses in the form of machine gun positions on the ground, anti-aircraft artillery, and standing fighter patrols stationed overhead. Other defenses included surrounding the main balloon with barrage balloons; stringing cables in the air in the vicinity of the balloons; putting machine guns in gondolas for observers to use; and flying balloons booby-trapped with explosives that could be remotely detonated from the ground. These measures made balloons very dangerous targets to approach.
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

If I had it my way: I'd definitely stick with the destroyers, I'm a bit "iffy" on observation balloons, I see some merit to having them, but also see hex wise, they could get in the way
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: operating

If I had it my way: I'd definitely stick with the destroyers, I'm a bit "iffy" on observation balloons, I see some merit to having them, but also see hex wise, they could get in the way

I think you are right, after a good few hours testing, I think the Observation Balloons are not going to be included in game.[;)]

But on a brighter note Belgium now have a general in game Gerard Leman.[:)]

Attachments
Belgiumno..dLeman..jpg
Belgiumno..dLeman..jpg (194.46 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

I have now removed all trace off Observation Balloons from the scripts in game, it was a worth while experiment, which in the end did not hit the spot.[;)]

But Belgium now has a second General Victor Deguise to use,this completes the new Generals for Belgium,I think 2 is enough.[:)]

Attachments
BelgiumGe..Deguise..jpg
BelgiumGe..Deguise..jpg (200.28 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Make it so!
Objekt730

Post by Objekt730 »

I like the concept of observation balloons. Perhaps they could still be included not as standalone units, but as an ability abstracted into the infantry divisions. Maybe the result of a research upgrade, they could act as a temporary LOS bonus for an infantry unit, that could in turn be countered by enemy fighters?
operating

Post by operating »

Question: ( I have not used 1.62 yet) Has LOS been lowered in the new patch for many units as indicated in the chart below (ie. armored car from 4 to a 3 LOS)?

ORIGINAL: kirk23

LAND UNITS

Armour Line of Sight = 1

AIRCRAFT

Bomber Line of Sight = 3

On the battlefield world war 1, Observation Balloon's played a very important roll, in that they could see what your enemy was upto, hence the need to use Fighter Aircraft to fly Balloon busting missions![;)]

An observation balloon was both a vulnerable and a valuable target: the balloon was moored in a stationary position and was lifted by flammable hydrogen gas, whose use was necessitated by the scarcity of helium reserves among European powers. The observer, suspended in the wicker basket beneath, typically had a wireless transmitter, binoculars and/or a long-range camera. His job was to observe actions on the front-line and behind it, to spot enemy troop movements or unusual activity of any sort, and to call down artillery fire onto any worthwhile targets. Balloon observers were consequently targets of great importance to both sides, especially before any sort of infantry action or offensive, so individual pilots, flights or whole squadrons were frequently ordered to attack balloons, either in an attempt to destroy them or at least disrupt their observation activities.[1] Pilots on both sides tried to attack from a height that could enable them to fire without getting too close to the hydrogen and pull away fast. They were also cautioned not to go below 1000 feet in order to avoid machine gun and AA fire.

Due to their importance, balloons were usually given heavy defenses in the form of machine gun positions on the ground, anti-aircraft artillery, and standing fighter patrols stationed overhead. Other defenses included surrounding the main balloon with barrage balloons; stringing cables in the air in the vicinity of the balloons; putting machine guns in gondolas for observers to use; and flying balloons booby-trapped with explosives that could be remotely detonated from the ground. These measures made balloons very dangerous targets to approach.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: operating

Question: ( I have not used 1.62 yet) Has LOS been lowered in the new patch for many units as indicated in the chart below (ie. armored car from 4 to a 3 LOS)?

LAND UNITS

Armour Line of Sight = 1

AIRCRAFT

Bomber Line of Sight = 3

Hi Bob, LOS has not been lowered in 1.6.2 for other land units, I was only testing various options, if Observation Balloons ever made it into the game.[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Objekt730

I like the concept of observation balloons. Perhaps they could still be included not as standalone units, but as an ability abstracted into the infantry divisions. Maybe the result of a research upgrade, they could act as a temporary LOS bonus for an infantry unit, that could in turn be countered by enemy fighters?

I was thinking along the same lines,of abstracting Observation Balloons into the game as a possible research bonus to land units.[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

German General Ludendorff.[;)]

Attachments
German Gen..dendorff.jpg
German Gen..dendorff.jpg (194.89 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Would like to see Herr Ludendorff's stats..[:)]

German General Ludendorff.[;)]

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

General Ludendorff stats.[:)]

Attachments
GeneralLu..ffstats.jpg
GeneralLu..ffstats.jpg (224.23 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

General Albrecht[;)] ( In the last patch I hear that some crashes were due to Commander activation, If these new Generals are added officially to future patches, I guarantee no crashes will be caused by Commander activation issues)[:)]

Attachments
GeneralAlbrecht.jpg
GeneralAlbrecht.jpg (192.83 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

Can see why Herr Ludendorff will be very popular in the game!!!![;)]

General Ludendorff stats.[:)]

kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

German Admiral Von Ingenohl[:D]

Attachments
GermanAdm..Ingenohl.jpg
GermanAdm..Ingenohl.jpg (193.81 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Make it so!

Return to “Commander - The Great War”