Some thoughts on scenarios balance

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

pzgndr

RE: Some thoughts on scenarios balance

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Tazak
out of curiosity what do people think of when they talk about balancing scenarios for limited orders

Not to sound snarky, but scenario balance without limited orders is, I assume, meant to mean both players have a reasonably equal chance to "win" the game based on victory conditions. Yes? "Winning" in a Third World War is somewhat subjective any way you look at it. But this is a game. The limited orders are intended as an option to increase difficulty and add realism, but this may "unbalance" the game. When I talk about this, all I am suggesting is to switch this around. Shoot for limited orders and the increased realism as the goal for the game and scenario design, then players will feel it's competitive and not lopsided. As an option players could turn off limited orders to make the game easier and less realistic. It's still the same game at the end of the day and players can decide for themselves what the results mean.

FWIW, I am less concerned about balance in these hypothetical scenarios than about getting the limited orders feature to be more realistic in modeling command and control. It is a challenging topic.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Winning in the game means you accomplished your mission. Not winning in any other sense.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Alex1812

Post by Alex1812 »

The main problem is that after one year of game release we have only 3 scenarios for PBEM. All other scenarios are very simple for one side and they are not interesting for play
Grenadier, Russian Corps
Napoleonic Wargame Club
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Alex, with the switch of the programming from bug support for Red Storm to work on the Southern Storm game with the 2.09 update heading out to Matrix next week, Mad Russian can spend some time revising the scenarios without us mucking with the code which throws off his ability to review and rebalance the scenarios. As he gets scenarios done we will let folks know and place the files on our website.

That should make all sorts of folks happy. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Also there is nothing stopping you or other players from making scenarios and sharing them. We have even set up a website for you to post them in.
Charles Belva
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Alex, it's sometimes hard to get playtesters for H2H scenarios. You volunteering?

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Alex1812

Post by Alex1812 »

I think there is a simple way how to make it better:

HL_WGS Witch's Cauldron, HM_BS Hell's Crossroad - delete 30% of Soviet tanks
HL_AS 3rd Herd - delete 50% of Soviet aviation
HS_AS Eyes, Ears and Teeth, HS_WGS The Pied Piper - delete 50% of Soviet tanks
Grenadier, Russian Corps
Napoleonic Wargame Club
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

What I would like to see is the VP scores from these scenarios played. My concern is the VP ratios are off now. We should be able to pit a platoon of tanks against a regiment of tanks and both side should still be able to win the battle on points. Taking stuff out can do that job but it is not what I would say is the preferred method. Now a few scenarios may need a tweak in numbers for helo/AD, I get that. Main forces should be fixable with VP adjustments.

Like I said above, scenarios will get a look at. As Charles points out and as Alex is doing, you can make modified scenarios and test them (but please post start and end VP scores to help us out).

Thanks!
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”