1.60 beta AAR (Aqudor vs Operating 111 turns finished)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

operating

1.60 beta AAR (Aqudor vs Operating 111 turns finished)

Post by operating »

Going to introduce a smattering of SS taken during a recent 1.60 beta MP match. What you see here is an offensive to take Nancy, backed by fresh infantry units and general, one of which has just taken the southern un-entrenched hex to Nancy, I'll conserve enough ammo for double artillery barrages next turn to soften the city up, also have fighters in range at full strength for next turn's attack. Entente has put his strength to the north and northeast of Paris, just hoping I'll enter the un-entrenched kill zone hexes southeast of Calais. He has more artillery than I and has been using it with much success, supported by fighters. The last several turns I had to build up my fighters to neutralize his, plus recon. The stage is set for taking Nancy then Eastern France to the backside of Paris. I'm leaving just enough strength to hold the line from Verdun to the coast should he attack there. Armored train is placed for quick reaction in either direction. Zeppelins hit mostly soft targets and very weak fighter units that are down to 1-2 strengths, often finishing them off. Should mention his balloons and airships have been doing a good job on my cities knocking down PP, more so in later turns. Keep pounding Calais with dreadnaught to keep him occupied and weak there. I'm not absolutely sure he sees the push coming, however don't under estimate the enemy.

Attachments
ctgw_1426613507.jpg
ctgw_1426613507.jpg (443.21 KiB) Viewed 762 times
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
operating

RE: 1.60 beta AAR

Post by operating »

Italian Front turn 56: Finally broke through a tough Italian Front to capture Rome. This action drew a number of Entente units off the Western Front to enable the Nancy Offensive. The objective here is to drive into southeast France and force Italy's surrender, which later I had to refuse in order to gain border access to France, this puts a lot of stress on Entente. Pretty much held a strong defense from Genoa to Milan till the rest of the Italian boot is captured. Punished the English infantry with AH and Bulgarian artillery, I want the English gone and capture Genoa. Like picking on the English for elimination for they are the hardest to replace. Take note: a gambit with an AH cavalry that went out of supply resulted in capturing Rome. Italy had been a Launchpad of many of the airstikes on CP cities, which hampered the war effort big time, so I was glad to get that nest of droning airships cleaned out.

Attachments
ctgw_1426613538.jpg
ctgw_1426613538.jpg (404.74 KiB) Viewed 762 times
operating

Post by operating »

Suez Front turn 56 MP match: Object here is to block the Suez Canal by land. Nicosia has been captured by the Turks supported by German and Turk cruisers providing bombardment. It seems my opponent has committed most of his English resources to defending Europe, It's good time to use artillery barrages to reduce English PP plus add casualties they'll have to replace. The Turk artillery is not up to the same class as the English, however can cause considerable damage. CP units are starting to show up here after the submission of Romania, also have to prepare for the Arab Revolt. Keep AH subs on the coast to act as a buffer from Entente cruiser attacks on my artillery and Gaza city. Most of the game the English had been on the offensive to take Gaza and Aqaba, but managed to turn the tide and push them back to the Canal. It does not stay that way, he forced me to retreat for a time to recoup casualties and efficiency, regardless the damage was done to English PP at Port Said and Ismailia. Progress is slow, but at least Turkey can put all it's resources to fighting the English here, including adding tech labs.

Attachments
ctgw_1426613489.jpg
ctgw_1426613489.jpg (376.93 KiB) Viewed 762 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 73 MP CP: This SS demonstrates the results of fighters on Arab Revolt. The only Arab unit left is an armored car which has AA, none of the other Arab units had AA, other than cavalry (with minimal AA). My opponent tried to keep Arabs at full supply with his navy, but because he moved these units during winter turns they lost efficiency, which made them very vulnerable to fighter attacks. Of course I hid my units in FOW till I knew for sure what the enemy units consisted of (he could have snuck in some British units). Then sprung the trap with air attacks on the Arab infantry, followed up by ground units wiping them out, plus the Arab cavalry, then chased down the armored car. spent the next couple of turns retaking an unoccupied Medina. End of Arab Revolt with very few CP casualties. With the RR restored, many of my units were back at the Sinai Front in short order for the push to the Canal. Garrisons with good AA placed in nearby Turk cities, which helped deter further English airship attacks.

Attachments
ctgw_1425507356.jpg
ctgw_1425507356.jpg (325.85 KiB) Viewed 762 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 89 CP MP Western Front: This match between Agudor and myself ended on turn 98. Did save a few SS to show the later stages of the fight. It was a static fight up till about 15 turns ago, that's when my airpower came to dominate the front, plus the CP breakthrough from Italy into France was taking it's toll on the Entente, especially the French (Italians had surrendered). There is still a few turns before winter arrives, even then I will keep the pressure on Entente, by capturing as much ground as I can to prepare for the assault on England. This is the match that had been a "Bomber Harris" nightmare for me, my PP was down to 6-7 PP (German) at times, the only thing that saved me from a collapsed economy was the Baltic convoys. We would chat back and forth during the match, sometimes dropping hints as to what is happening to either side, without giving up too much information. As you can see here, it's turning into a rout, France does not stand a chance of survival. France desperately needs that convoy in the upper left hand corner, but I think it is going to be too late. The CP RR guns are very effective, a game changer as far as I am concerned. In past versions I used to mock them, "Not any more". Been trying to take Malta with 3 transports supported by a AH pre-dreadnaught and German armored cruiser, all to no avail against 1 British garrison, more than anything, want to knock down England's NM. American infantry have landed at Nantes, but are in the red from zeppelin attacks. Will post turn 90 next...

Attachments
ctgw_1426103549.jpg
ctgw_1426103549.jpg (423.82 KiB) Viewed 762 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 93 CP MP: Mainland France has been completely subdued, should be surrendering soon. AH airships in Italy have been knocking down French North African cities PP, if that does not do the trick of busting France, I'll do simultaneous amphibious invasions, which the French will unlikely be able to prevent from succeeding, all or in part. The strategy is to knock France's NM down to "0". CP fighters are now able to target English airships, affecting their efficiency and strength around London. German dreadnaughts just gave Portsmouth a pounding, causing MP loss and downed PP from 6 to a 2. Zeppelins are targeting English cities further inland from the coast resulting in more MP losses and downed PP. Regardless, making preparations towards doing English Channel transport crossings to be supported by soon to be deployed German dreadnaughts and strong cruisers, add to that more class V zeppelins due shortly. I'm hoping it will be a battle of PP attrition that will bring England to it's knees. [8D]

Attachments
ctgw_1426634901.jpg
ctgw_1426634901.jpg (477.33 KiB) Viewed 762 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 93 Egypt CP MP: Closing in on Cairo. Have to move before Entente reinforcements arrive, located and attacked the elusive English fighters with infantry and cruisers. Units can't move over the Suez Canal like it is open country, much like a 2 step process slows movement. In the next turn or 2 enough forces will be in place to make a decisive victory for CP in Egypt and further cause England MP, NM and production losses. At the same time bombarding Malta and moved transports once again for another crack at assaulting the island.

Attachments
ctgw_1426634917.jpg
ctgw_1426634917.jpg (415.3 KiB) Viewed 762 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 94 CP MP: English counter attacked my dreadnaughts with subs and at the same time discovered and air attacked my subs protecting the surface fleet, damaging my 2 subs and a dreadnaught. I in turn counter attacked his subs with zeppelins, but at the expense of losing some fighter strengths for unknown reasons (fighters were not attacking nor being attacked) during zeppelin sub raids. Repaired subs at Calais and Rouen same for dreadnaught at Brest port. Repositioned other subs for another surface fleet bombardment of Portsmouth. Upgraded German fighters to class V and scored some hits on English airships. There is not a whole lot I can do with land forces till I get enough PP to buy transports and await the arrival of fresh cruisers, plus zeppelins from the production queue. The arrival of Americans in England is a concern.

Attachments
ctgw_1426706295.jpg
ctgw_1426706295.jpg (438.64 KiB) Viewed 762 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 94 CP MP: The push on Cairo is still developing. French pre-dreadnaught/dreadnaught attacked a hidden AH class I sub, which was sent to Port Said for repair. British fighters again attacked by Turk cruisers. Turk infantry assaulted Alexandria and Cairo, almost eliminated another small garrison, not going to give the British any rest, keeping the pressure up. Once Cairo and Alexandria are captured any Entente units in Egypt will out of supply. Turk fighter has recon 'd northern Egypt for any possible Entente reinforcements. It's looking real good for a CP victory here.

Attachments
ctgw_1426706272.jpg
ctgw_1426706272.jpg (404.26 KiB) Viewed 762 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 94 CP MP: Planed to do amphibious invasions of Tunis, Sfax and Mareth, however at the end of my turn France offered to surrender, which I accepted only too happily [:)], knowing it would be a huge blow to England's and America's NM. Before doing so a French sub attacked one of my fleets, in turn I counter attacked it with AH airships. As you can see, these AH airships have been raiding French North African cities (recon and PP reductions), which also contributed to the surrender of France. With French warships eliminated, this gives CP naval dominance of the Mediterrainean.

Attachments
ctgw_1426706341.jpg
ctgw_1426706341.jpg (337.81 KiB) Viewed 762 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 95 CP MP: "Cairo has fallen" has broken England's NM to "0", for England offers to surrender at the end of this turn, which I gladly accepted![:)] That leaves the United States as my only antagonist left to battle with in this match. Whatever USA units in England will be repatriated to the USA queue. Was unable to save any SS from this turn. Was in place to make a third amphib assault next turn on Malta, now will be called off. The end is near!

Attachments
ctgw_1426718994.jpg
ctgw_1426718994.jpg (327.94 KiB) Viewed 764 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 96 CP MP: With the war shifting to America decided to move the entire CP Mediterrainean naval fleet to the Atlantic, at the very least to have a naval blockade at Gibralter. Don't need any unwanted American presence in the Med.. It will take awhile to form an invasion fleet (Armada) of warships and transports to cross the Big Pond.

Attachments
ctgw_1427064621.jpg
ctgw_1427064621.jpg (356.57 KiB) Viewed 764 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 96 CP MP: Additional cruisers to support amphibious landings in production queue. Would not attempt to make crossing without them, in the meantime will build additional subs to help shield cruisers and dreadnaughts once in American waters. The big problem here is the chance that the game clock will have run out before defeating America.

Attachments
ctgw_1427064446.jpg
ctgw_1427064446.jpg (360.79 KiB) Viewed 764 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 96 CP MP: When I opened up this turn agudor left me a chat message congratulating me on this victory! What you see in this SS is most of my response. I had no idea what America's NM was or is, for they suffered little damage or caused much damage. Made some moves: Then When I hit "End Turn" USA's surrender proposal popped up, I immediately clicked "Accepted", which pretty much brought an end to our match. This match started approximately back in December, 2014, averaging one turn a day for each match we had active. We have another match ( myself as Entente) that should be finishing in the next couple of weeks, likely to go the whole 118 match turns (will be posting them here). Our matches have produced some unexpected results, which I think we both have learned from, late game tech developments helped to make the game thrilling to play. I'd play against agudor again in a heartbeat and I'm sure he would love to get revenge. It's rare these days for an opponent who goes the distance regardless if they are winning or not, more often when they are not. I think agudor would agree with me: "That there is a lot to be learned by going the distance".

From one Commander to another Commander; Thank you Agudor for a good match, Bob

Attachments
ctgw_1427066039.jpg
ctgw_1427066039.jpg (357.94 KiB) Viewed 764 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 90 E (Entente) MP: Presently agudor and I are into the 100th turn of our second match. In the SS below my Entente is pushing the Western Front into Germany. Russia, Turkey, Serbia, Belgium, Bulgaria and Romania have surrendered. Because Russia had surrendered, game management currently gives CP a marginal victory. My strategic objective is to force a draw or a Entente marginal victory with either a Germany surrender or AH surrender by the end of turn 118. I know that Germany is producing #8 efficiency units, meaning Germany's MP is suffering, as well as AH's. Entente artillery and superior air power is absolutely shredding CP infantry, regardless it is slow going and a long ways to Berlin.

Attachments
ctgw_1426100694.jpg
ctgw_1426100694.jpg (381.15 KiB) Viewed 764 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 93 E MP: Western Front: If you compare this SS to the previous SS (turn 90), you will notice there are considerably less German infantry, they have been getting completely slaughtered, yet slowing Entente's advance into Germany. Time is of the essence, he knows it. CP is supplanting German units with AH units till he can rebuild his German infantry line. Winter conditions takes it toll on troop movement. The Ruhr is now vulnerable to direct attack, many CP cities have getting airship raids knocking PP down, once and awhile an MP kill. If I let CP production go unchecked, very likely Entente would be in trouble, got to keep the pressure on. Try to advance fighters under repair and for recon. We have been battling it out up in the Baltic over German convoys he desperately needs, but have not been getting through to home ports.

Attachments
ctgw_1426607138.jpg
ctgw_1426607138.jpg (453.87 KiB) Viewed 764 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 93 E MP: Italian Front: Has been an artillery dual supported by opposing air forces. The Italian dreadnaught has been effective damaging AH's artillery in Venice, plus preventing AH from developing PP from Venice. The Italian artillery near Milan can pound AH without suffering counter battery damaged. Utilizing Entente fighters for direct attacks on CP artillery resulting in 3 fold gain; ie CP artillery loses efficiency, losses in strength plus losses to defending fighters, certainly Entente loses fighter strengths, but to a greater damage to the enemy. Having infantry reserves will pay off very soon besides rotating damaged front line units to the rear for repair and regain efficiency. Entente has an advantage of a 5 to 4 infantry front, making for a variety of 2 on 1 infantry assaults. The strategic objective of this front is to capture Vienna, a highly unlikely goal to achieve, but possible before game timeline ends. Italy has been fantastic to base airship raids to interior CP cities.

Attachments
ctgw_1426607117.jpg
ctgw_1426607117.jpg (415.92 KiB) Viewed 764 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 100 E MP: Western Front before movement. I just finished turn 102, so these SS are a little close to the action. I did not request that my opponent do not read these AARs, but that's OK, it's certainly more "intell" than I am getting in return. The front is steadily changing (advancing), if the front goes static again, that will certainly be trouble for my Entente. Aqudor looks to be doing a controlled withdrawal, I'm sure his zeppelins spotted what's coming his way and is buying time, and thank him for the abandoned entrenchments. The front is starting to stretch out, which is going to effect strategy for the both of us. He has the advantage of adding reinforcements close to the front lines, whereas it's a little more problematic for the Entente.

Attachments
ctgw_1427320533.jpg
ctgw_1427320533.jpg (404.39 KiB) Viewed 764 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 100 E MP: Western Front: Still focused on moving east, taking ground and setting up for the next push. Experimenting with symbols from the paint window, thought these might add dimension to the SS. Used a couple of fighters (class V) on the Nuremberg artillery (Class XIII), that's one unit to keep weak. Did a couple of infantry attacks on German garrisons up by Hannover, looking to see if CP moves the German infantry during game turn. Have to be careful not to overextend units to be counter attacked. I'd like to cut the RR southwest of Munich to prevent withdrawals from Innsbruck and, or reinforcements there. The front is now into the German grasslands, which is excellent for movement. I can only see 1 German fighter vs the circled Entente fighter force . Keep an eye on the management kill/losses windows, do some comparisons.

Attachments
ctgw_1427323860.jpg
ctgw_1427323860.jpg (390.78 KiB) Viewed 764 times
operating

Post by operating »

Turn 100 E MP: Italian Front: After English and Italian artillery pounded a AH infantry unit, English infantry finished it off, afterwards an Italian infantry moved into position to attack the German artillery, before doing so 1 Italian fighter did a hit on the German unit making it an easier attack by the infantry forcing the artillery to retreat a hex. To help save the infantry, An English fighter attacked the AH artillery next to Venice. If I can push the remaining 2 AH infantry off to the sides next turn, will open up a corridor towards Vienna and at the same time inhibit CP movement to the mountains, while bypassing Venice and Trieste, cutting off their supply. Repaired other Italian fighters to take on the AH artillery up near Trento next turn. It seems as though there should be more AH units at this front, unless my air campaign on AH cities is truly having an effect on gathering reinforcements. With the French coming down from the north and the Entente armies pushing and pounding from the south, Trento and Innsbruck won't be CP retainable all that long. Next turn I have a couple of surprises for AH. Chao!

Attachments
ctgw_1427323845.jpg
ctgw_1427323845.jpg (384.24 KiB) Viewed 764 times

Return to “After Action Reports”