Psych Ops: BTS "Lite" NY59Giants (A) vs John 3rd (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ny59giants

Psych Ops: BTS "Lite" NY59Giants (A) vs John 3rd (J)

Post by ny59giants »

OK, let's get ready to rumble!!

This will be a full testing of BTS using the new "Lite" version that was an idea of mine that John 3rd and others fully flushed out. The question was, "what could Japan realistically build 'if' she didn't produce the Yamato Class BBs?" Due to not having to expand the slips, two new BBs of the Owari Class (see screen shot) begin at CamRahn Bay and two more Shokaku Class CVs are built - Kaimon (due 7 Aug 42) and Taikaku (25 Feb 43). See link for details or briefly visit John's AAR.

tm.asp?m=3640213&mpage=24

I have known John since his epic game vs Canoerebel in WITP when he almost crashed his economy in 43. Between Damain helping me with Tracker and some quick learning of the Japanese economy, John was able to see the game to the end. We have tried one PBEM that I quit too soon and a few 2x2 games that didn't go far as Japan. We usually talk at least once per week and for many of his games I've been his sounding board or General Staff on strategic planning. To say that we each know each others style of play would be an understatement. [X(]

I am expecting the 'usual' opening moves in the eastern Pacific - Pearl by 2/3 of KB (4 CVs & 2 CVLs), followed by invasions of Midway, Johnson, Line Islands, and most of the Aleutians. The question will be how far into the South Pacific does he go?? He has the rep of invading Tahiti and even all the way down to the southern map edge. The Allies are a lot stronger in BTS and John knows I love my Allied "Death Star" with as many flattops as I can get together.

I chose the title of "Psych Ops" as I'm a mental health professional (Master's degree in Community Agency Counseling). John knows he has some Narcissistic tendencies while I have some OCD traits. I got along well with Nemo while John didn't. Go figure. [;)] We plan to play to the bitter end (my longest has been to Aug 44 and I truly want one to go to war's end) and to give the whole RA/BTS mod a full test to 45 (hopefully not into 46) as we hope most of the major bugs have been identified and fixed.

Pick your side and enjoy the ride.

Thanks,
Michael
(Die hard NY Giants fan and #1 hater of Dallas Cowboys)
OT - I live in the home town of Jason Whitten.

Attachments
OwariClassBB.jpg
OwariClassBB.jpg (151.43 KiB) Viewed 556 times
[center]Image[/center]
Alikchi2

RE: Psych Ops: BTS "Lite" NY59Giants (A) vs John 3rd (J)

Post by Alikchi2 »

Good luck!
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Good Luck. Not for sure who to follow. But you do need a post count hit.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Much as I would like to see John III's enthusiasm for his new OOB, I will stick with following your AAR because I am an AFB and also a bit OCD, so I can understand your style more easily. Don't want to harass John III with questions and advice he doesn't want to hear! [:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Its nice to see John's AAR getting attention already. [:D] I imagine that without me to be a reliable sounding board, he is seeking ways to throw me off my game and do something different. Maybe I should start by throwing out different names and operations in the "subject line" to already start the psych ops. Not yet, but I WILL be playing some 'head games' with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFQG6OOQmh8

[center]Image[/center]
AdmNelson

Post by AdmNelson »

I will be following your AAR from now on since John I are in our third or fourth game. As you know John is aggressive, and our current game Midway, Christmas Island, and Palmyra have fallen. It did take 3 months for Palmyra to fall after 4 separate landings. I have seen the Indian gambit and the Australian gambit. We are playing Treaty Mod BTW. Good Luck.

Super Cowboy Fan
Very Proud Marine Dad
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

House Rules

1. 1st turn can have multiple port attacks, but ONLY with carrier involvement. Manila and Singapore may have Fighters up and on CAP. Allies cannot transfer new Squadrons reflecting prior knowledge.

2. PPs to move out of national borders (Japan - Manchuria, Thai) and (Allies - India, China). Thai can move only one country away.

3. No strategic bombing (Oil, Resources, HI, LI, etc.) on EITHER side until July 1, 1943.

4. Non-historic 1st turn, normal reinforcements, PDUs ON, orders for TF formed already OK, no transfers

5. Aircraft Limitations (reflecting the Mod):
-No A6M3 on CVEs
-No A6M4 on any form of Carrier
-A7M Sam and B7A-D Grace cannot be operated from CVEs

6. Four-Engine Bombers: 4E bombers restricted to 10k or higher for naval and ground attacks (does not include PBY/Mavis type patrol craft)

7. China: Cease fire in effect until 1 January 42, except Hong Kong. If either side vacates a base during this time the other may move into if desired.

[center]Image[/center]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

On aircraft limitations, you may want to include no Jakes on subs - at least until the I-400 class show up. They were too big in RL but the game will let you do it.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

On aircraft limitations, you may want to include no Jakes on subs - at least until the I-400 class show up. They were too big in RL but the game will let you do it.

I've had opponents do this. But, John doesn't because he knows its gamey.
[center]Image[/center]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I've had opponents do this. But, John doesn't because he knows its gamey.
I figured as much, but since AARs are a great source of learning for new players, I thought this quirk should be explicitly mentioned.

About the 10K foot rule for HB, I know this was initially discussed as a means to balance the unrealistic hit rate when they go lower with weak AA. Has AA not been strengthened enough to make it balanced for HB to try go lower?
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

North Pacific:

I expect John to go for his usual in two phases. First, will the western Aleutians (Attu, Amchitka, and Adak). Second, will be Umnak, Dutch Harbor, and Cold Bay. The second will have limited carrier support.

Counters - I hope a few of the modern CLs survive Pearl Harbor attack. A pair will head north to Dutch to refuel along with 4-6 DDs. These will head to patrol the far western bases and hope to get in some licks. I beleive he has now fallen in love with using lots and lots of Fast Transport TFs and will try it in phase one. I plan to send Saratoga up here to be followed by Yorktown and King's Mtn at month end. I will probably station a pair or two of DDs up near the southern part of the Gulf of Alaska as pickets just in case John tries to send part of KB up here.

Prince Rupert is my main hub up here and I will push base expansion here to max and ship troops to John's phase two objectives quickly.
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I don't like setting HB below 10k anyways as his medium AA maxes out just below that level. I say this as one Allied opponent set his at 1000' and it really hurt my troops and bases.
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Central Pacific:

Of course the usual Pearl strike will occur with 2/3 of KB (4 heavy and 2 CVLs). Next, KB-1 and KB-2 will operate independently until end of December or early January. Afterwards, John will have them together as he will fear the Allied "Death Star" of 4 CVs and 4 CAV/CVLs being strong enough to take on one part, but not two parts. He will invade Wake, Midway, Johnson, Line Islands, and Canton island along with Gilberts.

Counter - From USA just about all my PBYs will go to Midway via Dutch and beyond before the air bridge of Midway is captured. Right now there is no plans here, but I've discussed with him when he played Cribtop briefly that I would have Allies start retaking these bases in early summer 42. I may plan that way.

CV Lexington (Lex) & Enterprise (I often refer to as Big "E") will head due south and over to Solomons at start.
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

While I'm mentioning them, this may a good time to briefly describe the different major warships involved with BTS Lite.

Carriers and additional major warships found in BTS Lite:

Japan:
KB1 - CV Akagi (78), Amagi (78), CVL Ryukaku (33) CS Chiyoda (24)
BC Ishitaka & Kawachi, CL, 7 DD....Pearl

KB2 - CV Shokaku (72), Zuikaku (72), CVL Kushiro (24)
BC Kirishima & Hiei, CL, 7 DD....Pearl

KB3 - CV Hiryu (69) & Soryu (69), CVL Tokachi (24)
BC Kongo & Haruna, CL, 6 DD....Babeldoab

KB4 - CVL Ryuho (39), Shoho (31), Zuiho (31)
CA Takao & Atago, 2 CL, 7 DD....CRB

New BBs - Owari & Hitachi join Mutsu & Nagayo at CRB (4 Bbs with 16" guns means Force Z will NOT engage them)

CVEs - Taiyo (27), Hosho (18), Ibuki (18), CL, 3 DD....Saipan

Allies:
Lexington (90) TF - CA Portland & Astoria, 7 DD....SW Johnson Island

Enterprise (90) TF - CA Chester & Northamton, 9 DD....NE Johnson Island

Saratoga (90) TF - CA Rome & Burlington, 7 DD.... San Diego

Scouting TF - CVL Jacksonville (18), BC Ranger & Constellation, CA Salt Lake City & Indianapolis, 6 DD.... NW of Pago Pago at Willis Island

CVL Charlotte (18) TF - CA Pensacola, 3 DD....Darwin

CVL Wellington (15)....Aukland

CVL Melbourne (15)....Sydney (2 DDs there and 2 DDs at Melbourne)

CL Boise - sister ship CL Dallas and 4 modern DD

CA Houston - sister ship CA Chicago and 4 old DDs that usually start at Manila
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

South Pacific:

If there is one theater that I'm not sure what John may do, its this one. In the past he has taken the main Allied vacation spot of Tahiti and even gone all the way to south map edge to capture Rapa. He has gone for the main southern bases of Noumea, Suva, and Pago Pago. Once he even took New Zealand. So the question will be how far south will he go?? I know he will want to make my reinforcement efforts for NZ and OZ more difficult. He will want the ability to raid with SC TF and even some CVs, so I know he will come here.

Counter - Not much at start. I might just push a few small transport TF carrying supply only through here to see what his reaction is. If you follow John's AARs over the years, you know how much he loves sinking anything, regardless of size.
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Solomons and New Guinea:

Since he has his 3 CVEs at Saipan, he will use them to do one of two things - Support Wake invasion or Rabaul. He will try to take Rabaul to base Zero and Betty/Nell to cover some of his minor pushes for lower Solomons and over to NG. Of course Port Moresby and Horn Island will be invaded.

Counter - CVs Lex and "Big E", Scouting TF, and the 2 hybrid CAVs from NZ and OZ will operate in an area where John will not be strong at start. This will be the initial use of the Allied "Death Star."
[center]Image[/center]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Australia:

John will go from Horn Island to Exmouth and down as far as Tennant Creek. After these normal moves for him, will he go further?? Against Cribtop he landed in NE and was capturing Cairns and Townsville. I'll let him. He has taken western part and I normally use the 18th UK Division here, but not this time.

Counter - The normal slow trickle from the USA will be re-routed through Cape Town this time. For some reason I expect John to try to find and slow down my SLOC to this unsinkable aircraft carrier.

I'll move the two small BFs from Derby and Broome to Port Hedland. Build the AF to 1 to allow Allied fighters to make trip to and from Soerabaja with drop tanks.

Pensacola TF pre-loaded with 2 American BFs will leave Darwin for Soerabaja to help with "Fortress Java." Details to follow....
[center]Image[/center]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

While I'm mentioning them, this may a good time to briefly describe the different major warships involved with BTS Lite.

Carriers and additional major warships found in BTS Lite:

Japan:
KB1 - CV Akagi (78), Amagi (78), CVL Ryukaku (33) CS Chiyoda (24)
BC Ishitaka & Kawachi, CL, 7 DD....Pearl

KB2 - CV Shokaku (72), Zuikaku (72), CVL Kushiro (24)
BC Kirishima & Hiei, CL, 7 DD....Pearl

KB3 - CV Hiryu (69) & Soryu (69), CVL Tokachi (24)
BC Kongo & Haruna, CL, 6 DD....Babeldoab

KB4 - CVL Ryuho (39), Shoho (31), Zuiho (31)
CA Takao & Atago, 2 CL, 7 DD....CRB

New BBs - Owari & Hitachi join Mutsu & Nagayo at CRB (4 Bbs with 16" guns means Force Z will NOT engage them)

CVEs - Taiyo (27), Hosho (18), Ibuki (18), CL, 3 DD....Saipan

No CVL Ryujo? Is Ryuho a typo or a sister ship?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

IIRC there is that name, but I don't recall whether or not it was a sister ship.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

CV/CVL builds for 'lite.'

Attachments
JapCVbuilds.jpg
JapCVbuilds.jpg (94.43 KiB) Viewed 556 times
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “After Action Reports”