Best Practices for Mod Installation and Use?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Anthropoid

Best Practices for Mod Installation and Use?

Post by Anthropoid »

Anyone recall any threads that talk about 'best practices' for installing mods for AE?

For example is it typical to use a third arty mod manager application or something of that sort? Or do guys just tend to copy the whole AE folder and then have different shortcuts for whichever mod they want to play with?

Would seem to be a good thing to sticky.

Also, I'm not really seeing threads that discuss specific mods? I wouldn't thought there'd be a stickied thread for each of the most widely used mods for AE in this sub-forum?

ADDIT: so I'm gathering that most or all of the well-known and publicly distributed mods for AE (e.g., the various Babes mods are packaged as scenarios that one simply plugs into the WiTPAE\SCEN folder?

I saw some posts that led me to believe that some mods actually make changes either to the executable or other files that necessitate running multiple different copies of the AE .exe. But I'm gathering that running mods in AE is a simple matter of downloading the scenario packages and putting them in the \SCEN file?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Symon

RE: Best Practices for Mod Installation and Use?

Post by Symon »

All mods are packaged as Scenarios that one simply drops into the SCEN folder.

Some mods have special ship/plane Art that also simply drops into the corresponding ART folder and _back and _transp sub folders.

Some mods have special Map requirements (Stock or Extended) which require the special Map files to be installed in the ART folder.

Some mods have certain Map data requirements (Ext Map, Stacking Limits, China Roads, etc). These come in a bundle of 3 files: pwhexe, pwzlink, and pwzone.dat. Each bundle works in concert with their corresponding Map files. They drop into the top level WITPAE folder.

Last, despite what some people say, there is no way, no how, that anyone can make a different exe for commercial consumption. If the did, Henderson Field Designs would sue them into oblivion, and I would file the papers. Lies, lies and then there's damn lies.

Some people use cut-and-paste and have multiple installations. Some people use a 3rd party mod manager. I use simple DOS Batch files to go everywhere.

"Best Practices" depend on how much you know. And how much do you do know? Ciao. JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Also, there is a stickied list of mods in the top of this page....gp
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

That is the place to look. WE fought a long fight to get that stickied for everyone to gain access to in a very easy manner.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”