Breakout and Pursuit: Harrybanana vs the AI

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Harrybanana

Breakout and Pursuit: Harrybanana vs the AI

Post by Harrybanana »

I played some WitE, but have just recently picked up this game and am also trying my hand at the scenarios against the AI. I had just finished my 2nd game as the WA in this scenario when I read with interest both Ultras and Seminoles AARs. I will post my results as of the start of turn 11 which I never played out as the final result was already decided, namely a minor WA Victory. I challenge Seminole to best my result, which I suspect he will easily do. I should add that I had an advantage over Seminole as I learned in the first game about the problem with the airfields in Normandy.

Below is the situation near Antwerp at the start of T11. As the 1st SS Panzer was well entrenched in the City I knew there was no hope of capturing it. I think I could have rescued the 1st British Airborne though.

Attachments
Antwerp.jpg
Antwerp.jpg (623.69 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

RE: Breakout and Pursuit: Harrybanana vs the AI

Post by Harrybanana »

Here is the situation near Metz. I took all the VP locations other than Antwerp and Metz, but that was still only good enough for a minor victory. probabl]y fair enough given that historically the Allies fell just short of Arnhem which is off the map NE of Antwerp.

Attachments
Metz.jpg
Metz.jpg (600.73 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Ground Losses. Of course there would have been a few more if I completed my turn, including a couple isolated German units.

Attachments
Losses.jpg
Losses.jpg (348.73 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Destroyed. I am particularly proud of the SS and panzer units destroyed in Normandy. Did not seem to help me in the end though.

Attachments
Destroyed.jpg
Destroyed.jpg (293.49 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

The biggest problem I faced in this scenario was supply. Which I thought was great as that was the historical problem as well for the WA. I used my air transports to drop supply almost every turn, but it was not enough. Of course I really have not figured the logistics system out yet. Did I not build enough depots? Did I build too many? Was it a mistake to move several of my airgroups closer to the front? Was I too slow repairing the ports? If anyone has any ideas on how to avoid the WA logistics problem I would love to hear it.

Robert Harris
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

The biggest problem I faced in this scenario was supply. Which I thought was great as that was the historical problem as well for the WA. I used my air transports to drop supply almost every turn, but it was not enough. Of course I really have not figured the logistics system out yet. Did I not build enough depots? Did I build too many? Was it a mistake to move several of my airgroups closer to the front? Was I too slow repairing the ports? If anyone has any ideas on how to avoid the WA logistics problem I would love to hear it.

You lost a lot of points losing airborne forces. IMO it is not worth ever using them in airdrops. Other players disagree but I have found the risk reward is not worth it.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

You lost a lot of points losing airborne forces. IMO it is not worth ever using them in airdrops. Other players disagree but I have found the risk reward is not worth it.

Like in most things, I have no hard and fast rule. I use them with amphib invasions, and made plans for a large air drop to encircle Paris that was obviated by the pace of my advance (or rather the AI's reaction to it).
This led me to a somewhat novel utilization of them to protect the lines of communication for my fast moving armored formations.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck

Return to “After Action Reports”