Foreign Troop Commitment

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Lord Drakken

Foreign Troop Commitment

Post by Lord Drakken »

I am trying to unload a Kenyan territorial into Morocco. I have Wavell in country and 1 transport. It is saying I have not met the Foreign troop commitment.
Attachments
DebarkLandUnits.zip
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Centuur

RE: Foreign Troop Commitment

Post by Centuur »

That is correct. You need a Kenyan HQ to get into Morocco with a Kenyan unit. Wavell is CW and not from Kenya...

That is because Territorials are minor country units (i.e. Kenya in this case) and not major power units...
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yes, only the major power Territorials like South African, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, Indian or the Northern Irish can freely enter these minor countries, and don't require FTC to do so, because they are major power units. French units could enter without FTC as well, FREX, but of course could not stack with local Territorials due to cooperation rules.
Paul
Lord Drakken

Post by Lord Drakken »

My group of players from the 80's and 90's did so many things wrong in this game. Thanks for the schooling.
Admiral Delabroglio

Post by Admiral Delabroglio »

Version 1.3.3.0

Global war, 4th impulse (2nd Allied impulse) :
Gort, a Mot and a Mech are on British TRS in the Channel. During the Debark Land Units phase, Gort walks ashore in Boulogne.
Neither of the other CW units are allowed to land after Gort, although the foreign troops commitment rule allows two more CW units in France.
The CW also has 2 more land movements allowed.

Sure, they tried to land in Calais so not allowing English soldiers there makes sense, but I am pretty sure the soldiers are Scots.

Best regards
Admiral Delabroglio
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

ORIGINAL: Admiral Delabroglio

Version 1.3.3.0

Gort, a Mot and a Mech are on British TRS in the Channel. During the Debark Land Units phase, Gort walks ashore in Boulogne.
Neither of the other CW units are allowed to land after Gort, although the foreign troops commitment rule allows two more CW units in France.

Sure, they tried to land in Calais so not allowing English soldiers there makes sense, but I am pretty sure the soldiers are Scots.

Best regards

I tried to duplicate your issue and FTC worked fine. (as below)

If you have a save available, please post and we will try to find the problem.

-Rob

Attachments
AAScreensh.. 15)-001.jpg
AAScreensh.. 15)-001.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 171 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Version 1.3.3.0

Best regards
warspite1

English - Scots??
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

55.26% of them.
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I feel there is a joke here somewhere, but sadly I am not getting it...

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

That's the proportion that voted No.
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

[&:]

michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

That's the proportion that voted No.

we try to keep the forum politic free.

but good joke
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Admiral Delabroglio

Yes, I do have a saved game, but it is an autosave from the 6th impulse (3rd Allied impulse). I kept playing, hoping that the foreign troops commitment rule would fix itself. No such luck, I still can't get those lazy loafers ashore.

Here it is.

Attachments
Gortalreadythere.zip
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Admiral Delabroglio
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

The issue appears to be with Corsica. You have 2 CW units there - see below.

I do not know if MWIF should consider Corsica a part of France's "Home Country". It seems we had a discussion on this years ago in the beta forum, so I will defer to the gurus on this topic.

I think it's a territory and therefore FTC would not apply. You can move a CW Naval unit into a Corsican port WITHOUT a CW HQ in France's Home Country, so there is bug with in this part of the code regardless.

Take care,

-Rob

Attachments
AAScreensh..15001.jpg
AAScreensh..15001.jpg (398.37 KiB) Viewed 175 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yes this looks like a bug since Corsica is a territory. The only things that should be "special" about Corsica are that it always goes Vichy when Vichy is declared, and Allied entry into Corsica - although a separate territory and not part of the Vichy home country - does cause Vichy to be hostile to the entering Allied power.
Paul
Admiral Delabroglio

Indeed, the CW cruiser and div moved into Ajaccio during the first allied impulse, before Gort landed in Boulogne.

WiF RAW description of a home country :
"A home country consists of every hex that a MAR could reach from the capital of that home country without crossing a red political boundary or entering a hex containing the name of another major power"

Corsica is therefore not a part of the French home country.

It gets tricky with the scale change for Asia and the Americas. Obviously, some hexes were MAR-reachable on the American mini map or the AiF maps or the Asian map, and are separated from the home country by all sea hexes with the whole world Europa scaled.
This is not the case for Corsica, though.

Stupid decision from Chamberlain to send a token force to Corsica BEFORE Gort landed in Boulogne, only to use it as an excuse for not sending a semi proper BEF. Those dirty British would once again let the poor French wade into the bloodbath with little help, if any.
I doubt the Germans will be able to attack France in S/O (3 good weather impulses = good bye Poland) but it already has annoying consequences. For instance, the two TRS will have to ferry the units once again in N/D and will not be available for anything else. Also, Germany attacked Denmark, and I have to pretend that the two CW units are not there and thus are unable to land in Frederickshavn.

I seem to remember reading a few complaints about production. What about giving us a limited rebug (r and d are adjacent on the French keyboard) tool that enables to :
1- Flip or unflip units (for instance I could unflip the CW cruiser in Corsica and get the two units out at once)
2- Add or remove oil and/or BP on the map ? A botched production or reorganization phase could be manually corrected that way.

Now, if it creates a whole lot of new bug opportunities, I can live without.

Best regards and thanks for the answer
Admiral Delabroglio
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

If you post a game save along with instructions of who to flip/unflip, I can do that for you with the beta playtester's version and post it back to you. Flip/unflip is easy - fiddling with saved oil and BPs - not so much.
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

1. Stupid decision from Chamberlain to send a token force to Corsica BEFORE Gort landed in Boulogne, only to use it as an excuse for not sending a semi proper BEF.

2. Those dirty British would once again let the poor French wade into the bloodbath with little help, if any.
warspite1

1. Don't blame the British. During cabinet discussions pre-war, a large number of cabinet members wanted to send a larger BEF to France in the event of war - as was achieved ultimately in the First War. However, it was pointed out by the eagle eyed Chief of the Imperial General Staff (who had actually read the latest rulebook) that this was not possible due to the newly installed Foreign Troop Commitment rule. Those that say the British contribution was too small should remember that.

2. Bit like the Italians then with Germany at the start of both World Wars.... [;)]

Admiral Delabroglio

Warspite1 :
It seems to me that in WiF5, there was no such thing as foreign troops commitment. The British and the French (unless liberated by the CW) could not cooperate but the Britich could enter France as they wished. It kind of made more sense. True, there was some distrust between the French and the British, but I just can't imagine good old Stalin allowing some US or CW troops to defend part of the USSR - with an HQ at that. He reluctantly allowed, in 1944, a few US planes to land in the Ukraine after bombing the Rumanian oil fields.

Now let's imagine a great house rule :
"The CW and France do not cooperate. Exception : the Montreal militia can freely cooperate with the French and does not count against foreign troops commitment in France"

About the Italians and the Germans : it seems to me Badoglio once told Rommel "you Germans are insufferable, I'd rather side with the British and Americans". Rommel is supposed to have answered "And you Italians are so bad soldiers that I'd rather you fought against us".
Note that the great "Delabroglio" counter reflects my view of my own military talent, and is not meant to make fun of the Italians.

Paulderynck :
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll just continue as it is. It would require another combined or naval move to get the merry British masquerading as Corsicans out, and as it is, if I botch the game, I can always blame if on the cursed foreign troops commitment. I know I've already made a few mistakes, such as stacking the German units due to invade Denmark. The CW ground struck them, and flipped the two units. Next time I'll use two fast movers such as a MOT and a MOT div, not stack them and keep the German ATR nearby just in case.

Admiral Delabroglio
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1 :
1. It seems to me that in WiF5, there was no such thing as foreign troops commitment. The British and the French (unless liberated by the CW) could not cooperate but the Britich could enter France as they wished. It kind of made more sense. True, there was some distrust between the French and the British, but I just can't imagine good old Stalin allowing some US or CW troops to defend part of the USSR - with an HQ at that. He reluctantly allowed, in 1944, a few US planes to land in the Ukraine after bombing the Rumanian oil fields.

2. Now let's imagine a great house rule :
"The CW and France do not cooperate. Exception : the Montreal militia can freely cooperate with the French and does not count against foreign troops commitment in France"

3. Note that the great "Delabroglio" counter reflects my view of my own military talent, and is not meant to make fun of the Italians.
warspite1

1. I do not recall the treatment in WIF 5th Edition - but I think you are right. I can only assume the FTC rule was added for play balance purposes i.e. if the Germans get off to a slow start the CW could land every unit available in France just to further frustrate German progress. Whereas now, the need to bring a second HQ to France is more of a decision to be made by the CW.

I agree on Stalin and ground troops - although the RAF operated fighter (and later bomber) aircraft from the northern Soviet Union in support of the arctic convoys.

2. Why?

3. I didn't think for one moment you were.

Return to “Tech Support”