What did you do in the Military?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

rhinobones

RE: What did you do in Vietnam?

Post by rhinobones »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

While we're at it... here's one from some pointless reserve exercises where they put me, a 40ish bloke with some pimpled kids... still E-6 (StUffz) and the Btl.Cdr. was even younger than me.

Klink, Oberst

You've got grass growing out of your cracks . . . better police that up!
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
walkra

Post by walkra »

Larry, Happy Birthday!!!.
fogger

Post by fogger »

Larry your hair and beard are the same colour as mine. It is called "mature age blonde" it is not white.
Happy Birthday and also a Happy birthday to Oberst Klink. I think you and Klaus share the same date just not he same year.
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
Cmdr_Vessery

Post by Cmdr_Vessery »

Happy belated Birthday, and thank you for your service. I was not in the Military, but have a strong appreciation for our services.

Cheers

Vess
rhinobones

RE: What did you do in the Military?

Post by rhinobones »

A bit off topic, but I think it's within the spirit of the topic. Follow the link to Medal of Honor recipient USMC Cpl Carpenter on David Letterman's late nite show:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/PRFX5qpax ... embedicded
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
Hyding

Post by Hyding »

Went into military intelligence in 1981 most of that service was with the 525th MI Group out of Ft Bragg
and XVIII Airborne Corps. We were the intel center for the Rapid Deployment Force so we had interests in
a lot of areas. Helped several allies with their real time/real war intel. Decided I like desert better
than jungles. With the 519th and 319th MI Bn during Grenada (anyone in the 319th assigned to the 519th for that mission).
Mobillized for Desert Storm. Finished up in Field Artillery. Spent more than 26 weeks in the Mojave at Ft Irwin
doing various rotations against the OPFOR there. My various units had an excellent record against those bad asses.
Realized Mech units get to carry around a lot more stuff than airborne units (and without carrying it. I mean coolers? Really?).
While I saw fire and moved through battle areas after the fact nobody ever shot at me. I currently have two nephews with 8 tours
in Iraq and Afghanistan. Plus a nephew in submarines and a niece who is a flight nurse in an air evac unit.
My grandmother had a letter from a president Johnson or Carter I forget thanking her for having three sons who had
served more than 75 years in the military with a 1/2 brother who put them over 80. Two WWII veterans, one with seven
campaign stars for Korea (yes you can do that he somehow was there 18 months and made both the Korean defense period
and Inchon), and seven tours in Vietnam between them. At on time or another they served in the 11th, 17th, 82nd and
101st Abn and the 5th and 7th Special Forces Groups. I also saw a patch for the Airborne Brigade in Italy but I
I never recall seeing records to back that up.

Unlike me the generation before and after me got shot at a great deal.

fogger

Post by fogger »

I found this on an old hard drive.

We're in the army now...

"Aim towards the Enemy." - Instruction printed on U.S. Army Rocket Launcher
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." - U.S.M.C. Training Bulletin
"Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground." - U.S.A.F. literature

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantryman's Journal
"A slipping trigger gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." - Army's Magazine of Preventive Maintenance

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Manual
"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo." - Infantryman's Journal
"Tracers work both ways." - U.S. Army Ordnance Manual
"Five-second fuses only last three seconds." - Infantryman's Journal
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid." - David Hackworth
"If your attack is going too well, you're walking into an ambush." - Infantryman's Journal
"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection." - Unknown
"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once." - Anon Naval brass
"Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing do." - Unknown Marine Recruit
"Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you." - Your Buddies
"If you see a bomb technician running, try to keep up with him." - Unknown

"When in doubt, empty the magazine" - Unknown

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
CapitanPiluso

Post by CapitanPiluso »

ORIGINAL: fogger

I found this on an old hard drive.

We're in the army now...

"Aim towards the Enemy." - Instruction printed on U.S. Army Rocket Launcher
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." - U.S.M.C. Training Bulletin
"Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground." - U.S.A.F. literature

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantryman's Journal
"A slipping trigger gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." - Army's Magazine of Preventive Maintenance

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Manual
"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo." - Infantryman's Journal
"Tracers work both ways." - U.S. Army Ordnance Manual
"Five-second fuses only last three seconds." - Infantryman's Journal
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid." - David Hackworth
"If your attack is going too well, you're walking into an ambush." - Infantryman's Journal
"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection." - Unknown
"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once." - Anon Naval brass
"Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing do." - Unknown Marine Recruit
"Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you." - Your Buddies
"If you see a bomb technician running, try to keep up with him." - Unknown

"When in doubt, empty the magazine" - Unknown

Excellent [:D]
One cornerstone of maritimal warfare:
Keep yourself near the lifeboat.
(Capt.Piluso)
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I was an aircraft technician (gas turbines and aircraft systems) at 76SQN RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force). Sometimes we got to go in the back seat and on this occasion we flew this Hawk 127 from RAAF Williamtown (just north of Newcastle, N.S.W.) to RAAF Amberley (near Brisbane, Queensland) which is about 600km as the crow flies, north. The pilot let me fly part of the way but a lot of it was at low level because we were doing a simulated strike mission, so he took over for that.

That meant down in the canyons of the Great Dividing Range for the extended run into the target; pulling six and seven Gs. You'd often look up and see trees racing past at several hundred knots. You're not just a passenger either. You're expected to look out for trouble and I spotted high voltage power-lines that provoked a violent near vertical climb and a warning to the jet behind us. Quite an incredible experience.

This was early 2002. Those are 3SQN and 77SQN Hornets in the background. 2OCU (Operational Conversion Unit, all 2 seater F/A-18s) is out of shot to the left.

Cheers, Neilster
Attachments
Hawkride.jpg
Hawkride.jpg (156.34 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”