Sad, sad, sad.......

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

bo

RE: Sad, sad, sad.......

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: jc4751

(edit: to quote Buddha, "this does not further")

Good lord next you will be quoting Obama[:(], I know, nothing political[:D]

Bo
jc4751

Post by jc4751 »

ORIGINAL: bo

(edit: to quote Buddha, "this does not further")

Good lord next you will be quoting Obama[:(], I know, nothing political[:D]

Bo

Yeah, I'm up to that challenge -- "The", Barack Obama, 2008.
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. -- (Terry Pratchett)

I found while driving in Wyoming that wearing a stetson and driving a beat-up pickup meant you could go as fast as you like, while the police picked up Californian winnebagos that went one mph over 55. After all, they wanted to bring money into the state, not merely circulate it. -- (Terry Pratchett)

We've missed you, did you miss us? Yes, but I think I have time to reload. -- (Terry Pratchett)

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. -- (Terry Pratchett)

I found while driving in Wyoming that wearing a stetson and driving a beat-up pickup meant you could go as fast as you like, while the police picked up Californian winnebagos that went one mph over 55. After all, they wanted to bring money into the state, not merely circulate it. -- (Terry Pratchett)

We've missed you, did you miss us? Yes, but I think I have time to reload. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Hmmm,[&:] using someones words to get a little cryptic there Extraneous. [:(] Never heard of Mr. Pratchett until the other day, guess I am not worldly enough [;)]

Bo
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

I have had a blast playing MWiF today and I'm happy! It's time for dinner, Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo and I'm having a "computer beer". Some DOS beer. Funny though, it equates DOS to some O/S I've never heard of, "UIS".

That is, I'm having a DOS .EQ. UIS (or DOS EQUIS) Hey, what do you expect from an old FORTRAN programmer. [:D]
Ronnie
etsadler

Post by etsadler »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

I have had a blast playing MWiF today and I'm happy! It's time for dinner, Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo and I'm having a "computer beer". Some DOS beer. Funny though, it equates DOS to some O/S I've never heard of, "UIS".

That is, I'm having a DOS .EQ. UIS (or DOS EQUIS) Hey, what do you expect from an old FORTRAN programmer. [:D]

"I don't always test my code. But when I do, I test it in production."
jc4751

Post by jc4751 »

ORIGINAL: RickInVA

There are 10 kinds of people who get that joke...
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I'd rather bathe with monkeys than get that joke.
Paul
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Hmmm,[&:] using someones words to get a little cryptic there Extraneous. [:(] Never heard of Mr. Pratchett until the other day, guess I am not worldly enough [;)]

Bo

My point was if someone is going to quote Buddha (with a quote I cannot find) I thought I would quote Pratchett.

Sir Terence David John "Terry" Pratchett,OBE (28 April 1948 – 12 March 2015)

He is best known for his Discworld book series of about 40 volumes.

Animation
Wyrd Sisters, an animated series by Cosgrove Hall.
Soul Music as animated series by Cosgrove Hall.
Truckers, an animated series by Cosgrove Hall.

TV Mini-series
Johnny and the bomb, a three-part TV mini-series on the BBC.

Films
Hogfather, aired by Sky One, Christmas 2006 as TV film.
The Colour of Magic, aired by Sky One, Easter 2008 as TV film.
Going Postal, aired by Sky One, Easter 2010 as TV film.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

For those that don't know Assembly, Assembler, and Fortran are considered scientific computer languages.

I keep thinking I've missed one scientific language but then 40 years ago is awhile.

wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

This is the funniest thing I have read in weeks!!!!

I also agree most people will not understand the really funny part here...LOL.
Flipper
jc4751

Post by jc4751 »

My point was if someone is going to quote Buddha (with a quote I cannot find) I thought I would quote Pratchett.

I removed the quote from my post, because I couldn't find an easily sourced attribution for it. I ran across it in a book a while back, which I don't have available any longer. Sorry about the confusion.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I'd rather bathe with monkeys than get that joke.

I thought I was alone on that one paul, thanks for chiming in [;)] Hmmm are there monkeys is Canada?[:(]

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

This is the funniest thing I have read in weeks!!!!

I also agree most people will not understand the really funny part here...LOL.
'
And I am one of them, Hi flipper how are you, of course I am a conservative from Pennsylvania and not a liberal from the great liberal state of Connecticut and the great liberal university of Yale, which intellectually is way above us mere little peons commonly known as conservatives, so maybe you could explain the really funny part here. [:(] If you can? Please type slow so we can digest it and be able to understand it.[:D]

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

Extraneous you actually looked up that quote by Buddha [:(] Whoever she is [:D]

Of course this is a lot better than the doom and gloom of MWIF posters not posting anymore[;)]

Bo
bo

Post by bo »

I removed the quote from my post, because I couldn't find an easily sourced attribution for it. I ran across it in a book a while back, which I don't have available any longer. Sorry about the confusion.

Hmmm sounds like the missing e-mails I have been reading about lately, oh well at least the forums are booming again, so I guess warspite and I were wrong.[;)]

Bo
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

And I am one of them, Hi flipper how are you, of course I am a conservative from Pennsylvania and not a liberal from the great liberal state of Connecticut and the great liberal university of Yale, which intellectually is way above us mere little peons commonly known as conservatives, so maybe you could explain the really funny part here. [:(] If you can? Please type slow so we can digest it and be able to understand it.[:D]

Bo

Bo,

I'm semi OK, such is the lot of a conservative from Connecticut.

This is not one of those times to expand your knowledge, you had to be there.

Have a nice day.
Flipper
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you for the quotes. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
bo

Post by bo »

Bo

Bo,

Have a nice day.

Yes of course, for another time flipper, but the posts were about the comment by RickInVa, you know "I don't always test my code. But when I do, I test it in production"

I do not get it, I do not think paul got it [cannot answer for paul], I thought you were going to explain it to us, I actually feel stupid I don't get it. I am not being a smart a**, or trying to start anything I just want to know what he meant, nothing sinister here trust me [;)]

Bo
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Bo

Bo,

Have a nice day.

Yes of course, for another time flipper, but the posts were about the comment by RickInVa, you know "I don't always test my code. But when I do, I test it in production"

I do not get it, I do not think paul got it [cannot answer for paul], I thought you were going to explain it to us, I actually feel stupid I don't get it. I am not being a smart a**, or trying to start anything I just want to know what he meant, nothing sinister here trust me [;)]

Bo
warspite1

bo don't stress it! I think the scenario is this:

- To understand the joke you need to be a geeky programmer.
- No "normal" person would understand that joke, hence Paul's comment.
- I am proud to say I do not understand it either and echo the monkeys comment - except I would upgrade to Piranha's.

* For the avoidance of doubt this is a light hearted response [;)]

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “World in Flames”