What did you do in the Military?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

larryfulkerson

What did you do in the Military?

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thomas Harvey and I are playing Pacific At War, maybe you've seen the AAR. Anyway, somehow it came out in
convesation via email that I was in SouthEast Asia from November 1970 to August 1972 in one capacity or another
and I had some pretty awesome experiences. I started writing a book about it about a decade ago, before I forgot
everything and after the sixth chapter the bad feelings started to come back so I had to quit writing. But you guys are
welcome to read what I've written if you'd like. It's about the experiences that our protagonist has as a Spectre
Gunner. It's fiction but everything that happens in the book happened to me or somebody I knew. All the names are
accurate so I need to redact this bad boy one of these days. Can't have the real names in a fictional work.

You guys may not be interested in what a Spectre Gunner does but Thomas acted like he was interested so I thought
maybe one of you guys might like to read it too.

Just truncate the dot txt off the filename and unzip it.

EDIT: I'd be interested in hearing about the experiences of some of you guys in the Army. Post something please.
Attachments
spectregunner.zip.txt
(149.37 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
larryfulkerson

RE: What did you do in Vietnam?

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's a free wallpaper for you guys.

Attachments
ac130h6568105blast.jpg
ac130h6568105blast.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 84 times
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
rhinobones

RE: What did you do in the Military?

Post by rhinobones »

Everyone who treasures our history and experience in the Republic of Viet Nam needs to read your story. I remember our conversation in Tucson years ago . . . thank you for sharing. We're lucky, and glad, your name isn't on the Black Wall of granite.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Here's a free wallpaper for you guys.
Onboard a C-160 back in May 1992... heading to an AMF Exercise, place called Otterburn, Northumberland.

Only 'battles' I fought were ACW re-enactments.

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
Scannen0007 (Mobile).jpg
Scannen0007 (Mobile).jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 84 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
Everyone who treasures our history and experience in the Republic of Viet Nam needs to read your story. I remember our conversation in Tucson years ago . . . thank you for sharing. We're lucky, and glad, your name isn't on the Black Wall of granite.

Regards, RhinoBones
Funny you should mention the Vietnam monument. There's a name on it that I know personally. When I knew him he was a two-stripper
and his name was Charles Frederick Fenter. On the monument I noticed that they have been promoting him along with his peers
since he's missing. Officially missing. I went home to Tucson,AZ on 17Dec1972 on emergency leave and Freddy was my roommate
and he and I helped each other out from time to time. I knew him well.

They tell me that his plane was hit in the wing root on the left side which punctured the fuel manifold that runs through there and
it ( the JP4 ) gushed out into the fuselage until the crew on the cargo deck was ankle deep in jet fuel. They turned off everything
electronic they could reach including the lights and started to RTB ( return to base ) and they made it as far as somewhere
over Thailand and the cargo hold crew was standing on the ramp in the back with their parachutes on and had been ready
to jump at any time for about a half an hour or so and then witnesses on the ground say that the aircraft was all of a sudden
a large fireball. They know all this because of somebody who survived it. I like to think that Freddy was flying my mission.
I used to think about it a lot. But you just go on with your life.

EDIT: Hey Rhinobones dude. As I recall you were in the Marines. You must have a funny story or some kind of experience
you'd like to share with us. How about it?

EDIT2: I found a copy of a picture I took in December of 1972 of Charles Frederick Fenter.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (100.58 KiB) Viewed 84 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
Onboard a C-160 back in May 1992... heading to an AMF Exercise, place called Otterburn, Northumberland.

Only 'battles' I fought were ACW re-enactments.

Klink, Oberst
Is that really what you looked like back then? Ruggedly handsome? I'll take a look around and see if I can't
find a photo of me somewhere and post it.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

It's not a picture of me way back when but I did find one from about 6 months ago. My hair used to be blonde and now it's white.
I'm going to be 65 years old on the 21st. Hey, that's tomorrow. Good timing.

Attachments
temp.gif
temp.gif (189.78 KiB) Viewed 84 times
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Thanks for posting.

I was in-country in Combat Operations Vietnam #10-11-12. If you look carefully at hex 86,157, the last turn of #11, a few pixals in, that me getting hit. Just a flesh wound.

I was there as a young infantry captain, adviser in An Loc district.

Cheers,
Rob K

Attachments
img372001.jpg
img372001.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: HPT KUNZ
Thanks for posting.

I was in-country in Combat Operations Vietnam #10-11-12. If you look carefully at hex 86,157, the last turn of #11, a few pixals in, that me getting hit. Just a flesh wound.

Cheers,
Rob K
Much coolness ensues. How about a war story? Thanks for your service.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Hey Rhinobones dude. As I recall you were in the Marines. You must have a funny story or some kind of experience you'd like to share with us. How about it?

My original Nam orders were for the 3rd MarDiv, but somehow I ended up with 1st MCAS Iwakuni as a ground radio tech MOS. Recon units were planting sensors in Laos and drew on us to provide radio guys to operate and maintain the PRC-25s. The unit I joined had the call sign Rhino. As I recall some other units had call signs of Zuni, AHole and Baby.

Had two good inserts and then the third went all bad.

In Iwakuni people would go missing for a couple of weeks and then return. Fortunately we all returned. However, we were never officially in a combat zone, so no ribbons and no medals. No "In country" time.

I never saw a Specter fire mission, but I did see a bit of Huey night time fire support. The Huey fire looked good, but ramp that up to the Specter level and jezzz . . . you must of left a ton of brass on deck. Mighty fine work ... yes mighty fine work you did to support the troops on the ground.

Every Marine and GI that had your support praises the AF gun ships.

That's a heart felt "Uh'Rah" from the Corps.

Regards, Rhinobones

Colin Wright:

rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

It's not a picture of me way back when but I did find one from about 6 months ago. My hair used to be blonde and now it's white.
I'm going to be 65 years old on the 21st. Hey, that's tomorrow. Good timing.

65, not bad for a Nam Vet.
Colin Wright:

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

... you must of left a ton of brass on deck....
You know with all the high tech stuff the air force had, what with lazer range finders and invisible particle beam weapons
and so on, wouldn't you know they had snow shovels mounted inside the plane to use to gather up all the spent
brass on the floor of the plane. Whenever the pilot let loose with a burst from the 20mm there would come all this
spent brass flyiing out of the exit hole and spill all over the inside of the plane around the guns. You had to be
careful of your step until you got it all gathered up. We had 55 gal. barrels painted red to put the brass in.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

a burst from the 20mm there would come all this spent brass flyiing out of the exit hole and spill all over the inside of the plane

Spent shells are hot, don't touch, they burn the skin. 20mm shells make bigger burns than 7.62 NATO shells. Bottom line; spent shells burn skin.

Spent shell's only burn in training . . . in combat it's not a factor.
Colin Wright:

sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I was never in the service so I apologize for posting here, but I wanted to thank you guys and to wish Mr. Fulkerson a Happy Birthday
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Larry, let me be the first to wish you a "Happy Birthday".

U'Rah

From the Corps to the Air Force

Spatz beat me to it, let it be my pleasure to be #2.
Colin Wright:

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Rob K

I thought back then you already were a 'Doc' or a medic, Rob... Kinda like Hawkeye really :)

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

Happy Birthday!!! And thanks for serving!
Rod T DeMore
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Rob K

I thought back then you already were a 'Doc' or a medic, Rob... Kinda like Hawkeye really :)

Klink, Oberst

Herr Oberst, it took a while to get promoted to Hawkeye-
I had a rather convoluted military career: Commissioned out of Texas A&M; Ft Hood Inf- Plt Ldr; Baumholder Germany- Wpn Plt Ldr, Bn S-3; Ft Bragg-JFK Special Warfare School; An Loc, Vietnam- District Adviser; Grad School Madison, Wisconsin and there Troop Commander of an Army Reserve Armored Cav Troop; then Company Commander of A Co, C Co and then Combat Support Co of 2/111 Inf Pennsylvania National Guard, then XO of the Bn. Next Medical School and Bn Surgeon before moving to a Field Hospital (we packed for Desert Storm, but did not deploy). Finally a Hawkeye. I also completed non-resident Command and General Staff College at one point.
cheers
doc

Attachments
101_0177.jpg
101_0177.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Thanks for your service dude. A long and distinguished career and a leader of men. I'm
impressed. Duly.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

While we're at it... here's one from some pointless reserve exercises where they put me, a 40ish bloke with some pimpled kids... still E-6 (StUffz) and the Btl.Cdr. was even younger than me.

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
IMG_201209.. (Small).jpg
IMG_201209.. (Small).jpg (106.86 KiB) Viewed 85 times
My Blog & on Twitter.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”