Carriers in base/coastal hexes

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

alanschu

Carriers in base/coastal hexes

Post by alanschu »

Just so I'm clear, it's a disadvantage to be in this situation right? Because it seems like the AI is doing it a lot (Carriers mobbed Midway and are now mobbing Lunga)
witpqs

RE: Carriers in base/coastal hexes

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: alanschu

Just so I'm clear, it's a disadvantage to be in this situation right? Because it seems like the AI is doing it a lot (Carriers mobbed Midway and are now mobbing Lunga)
In the game, coastal hexes do not penalize carrier operations. Being in a friendly base hex penalizes carrier ops by 50% for CV and CVL, but no penalty for CVE.
alanschu

Post by alanschu »

Ah only friendly hexes? Okay then. I now hold Lunga so that'd make sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to attack easy targets! :P Also good to know since that can give me better CAP coverage over hostile landings then.

Thanks again witpqs! :D
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Ah only friendly hexes? Okay then. I now hold Lunga so that'd make sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to attack easy targets! :P Also good to know since that can give me better CAP coverage over hostile landings then.

If I am wrong hopefully someone will jump in!
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Being in a friendly base hex penalizes carrier ops by 50% for CV and CVL...

My apologies for my naivete, but what is the rationale for this? I don't understand why this would be the case.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Being in a friendly base hex penalizes carrier ops by 50% for CV and CVL...

My apologies for my naivete, but what is the rationale for this? I don't understand why this would be the case.
My understanding is that it is just to reduce an exploit of game play that was not realistic, having a bunch of carriers in a TF(s) camp out at a base and be fully operating.
alanschu

Post by alanschu »

You can probably justify it in that finding the space to do carrier ops would be limited when dealing with a lot of the "intrinsic" sea traffic of a port?
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

It's my understanding that carriers needed to turn into the wind and go to high speed to get enough airflow over the bow to allow the planes to lift off before running out of flight deck. Having a large land mass in the direction the wind is coming from would curtail air operations as the carrier had to keep doing circles and could only launch during a short time of the run.
koniu

Post by koniu »

Carriers (CV, CVL, CVB) suffer 50% ops penalty when they are in base hex or dot hex.
Penalty is for both friendly and enemy bases and dots.

No penalty for CVE

Manual
7.2.1.13.2 AIRCRAFT CARRIERS IN BASE HEXES
Air operations by aircraft carriers are limited if the aircraft carrier is in a base hex. Aircraft launching search, CAP or strike Missions from a carrier in a base hex will only launch 50% of the normal amount they would have launched. If the CAP is reinforced by fighters on the ship due to the raid being spotted in time, only 50% of the fighters on the ship will reinforce the CAP.
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Thanks!
tiemanjw

Post by tiemanjw »

ORIGINAL: koniu

Carriers (CV, CVL, CVB) suffer 50% ops penalty when they are in base hex or dot hex.

No penalty for CVE

Manual
Air operations by aircraft carriers are limited if the aircraft carrier is in a base hex. Aircraft launching search, CAP or strike Missions from a carrier in a base hex will only launch 50% of the normal amount they would have launched. If the CAP is reinforced by fighters on the ship due to the raid being spotted in time, only 50% of the fighters on the ship will reinforce the CAP.

Not to be " that guy", but the manual you quote there does not say CVEs are excluded from this penalty. I've heard this CVE thing stated many times, but is it true or false wisdom that keeps getting passed down?
alanschu

Post by alanschu »

Okay cool. Next question: do we know if this impacts the AI as well? They have kept that fleet there for a couple weeks now and I'm moving in with like 5 carriers right now to meet it (it's a beefy fleet with like 90 zeroes flying CAP as it is!

I'd prefer to not win this on account of the AI not being smart enough to account for this.
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: tiemanj

No penalty for CVE

Manual

Not to be " that guy", but the manual you quote there does not say CVEs are excluded from this penalty. I've heard this CVE thing stated many times, but is it true or false wisdom that keeps getting passed down?
There is no word about CVE in manual but I believe that it was confirmed by devs that CVE dont suffer ops penalty
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: tiemanj

No penalty for CVE

Manual

There is no word about CVE in manual but I believe that it was confirmed by devs that CVE dont suffer ops penalty

This is correct. CVEs are not affected.

And the reason given for the restrictions is to simulate the difficulty carriers would have launching and recovering aircraft in restricted waters. I suppose CVE were exempted to reflect their historical role in invasion support.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”