[FIXED 1.07.1] Why is the UK's Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier class listed as having Catapults....

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

OxfordGuy3

[FIXED 1.07.1] Why is the UK's Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier class listed as having Catapults....

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

I've just bought the Steam version of CMANO, which is currently on version 1.7, but noticed that the UK's new Queen Elizabth class aircraft carrier class says this about it in the DB3000 database:

Yet the version of the Queen Elizabth class CVs that will actually be deployed (sadly) will only have a ski-jump, no "cats and traps" and will only be able to operate the F35B not the longer-ranged F35C aircraft.

Shouldn't it specify a ski-jump like the UK's earlier Invincible class?:

This seems a rather large inaccuracy for the UK's first true aircraft carriers since the 1970s Ark Royal was decommissioned! Does the Community Database Images & Descriptions Add-on fix this? Or am I missing something?

What would have been nice would have been to have both the actual version being deployed (with ski-jump) and a speculative version (with cats and traps) available in the database.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
OxfordGuy3

RE: Why is the UK's Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier class listed as having Catapults and Arrestor gear?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

I've just installed the Community Database Images & Descriptions Add-on pack, but the listing for the Queen Elizabeth class still says it has cats and traps :-(

Also very few of the UK's ships and planes seem to have any descriptions (e.g. none of it's aircraft carriers do, nor important units such as the Sea Harrier, though most of the US versions of the Harrier do) - are these available anywhere? Seems odd that one of the world's major navies and air forces seems so neglected - are there any community descriptions available for the UK's units?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
thewood1

RE: Why is the UK's Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier class listed as having Catapults and Arrestor gear?

Post by thewood1 »

What descriptions get done is completely dependent on someone actually doing them. Sometimes some people want to spend time playing the game instead of tracking down descriptions. I am sure any you can track down would be added to the community project.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

What descriptions get done is completely dependent on someone actually doing them. Sometimes some people want to spend time playing the game instead of tracking down descriptions. I am sure any you can track down would be added to the community project.

Quite a few of the descriptions seem to be from Wikipedia, though it seems many of the ships and aircraft with missing descriptions do have information on Wikipedia (though I guess these would need to be checked for accuracy), so I guess there's scope from some more being sourced from there?
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Thanks, added to our DB stack.

Great, thanks!
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

BTW would this have any affect in-game, or only in the description?

Am a bit surprised this hasn't been spotted before, as this ship is one of the first things a UK player, like myself, would most likely check out!
rvseydlitz

Post by rvseydlitz »

You guys have a navy???

Ok..just teasing haha.

I think it likely that the plans for the carrier have indeed changed a few times, and the database shows a prior version of the plans. It would affect gameplay as well I believe, but you can also go into the scenario editor, and remove the catapults, and any other parts, for any scenario you wanted to play before the devs corrected the official database as well.

The dev team is very quick on those things though as well.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: rvseydlitz

You guys have a navy???

Ok..just teasing haha.

Ha ha! Well it's sadly true it's not the size it used to be, though the units that we do have are all pretty top-notch and maintenance, training and expertise is still up there with the best. Is also still one of the few true blue water water navies capable of (limited) power projection, or at least it will be when we get those carriers!
I think it likely that the plans for the carrier have indeed changed a few times, and the database shows a prior version of the plans.

Indeed they have, though the first unit has been confirmed as a ski-ramp carrier for some time, there was some debate about whether the second carrier would have cats and traps for a while, though. Would of made far more sense in the long run to have cats and traps for both from the start (and the F35C and a fixed wing AEW aircraft), though budgetary constraints and political short-sightedness prevented this.
It would affect gameplay as well I believe, but you can also go into the scenario editor, and remove the catapults, and any other parts, for any scenario you wanted to play before the devs corrected the official database as well.

Okay, though I think I'll wait for the Devs to fix it, I have a feeling it's going to take me some time to get up with to speed with this complex beast of a game/simulation!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy

Yes, it determines which aircraft can actually take off from it (you can't launch an F-35C from the ski-jump, for example) and the number of take-off facilities restricts the sortie rate.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Yes, it determines which aircraft can actually take off from it (you can't launch an F-35C from the ski-jump, for example) and the number of take-off facilities restricts the sortie rate.

Okay - this definitely needs changing then! Would be nice to have both versions available in the database, though, to test "what could have been"!
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

BTW apart from the AEW Sea King the UK has used in the past on the Invincible class, are there any other AEW aircraft currently available in the DB3000 database that can fly off a ski-jump equipped carrier?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: rvseydlitz

You guys have a navy???

Ok..just teasing haha.

I think it likely that the plans for the carrier have indeed changed a few times, and the database shows a prior version of the plans. It would affect gameplay as well I believe, but you can also go into the scenario editor, and remove the catapults, and any other parts, for any scenario you wanted to play before the devs corrected the official database as well.

for a country who used to rule the waves, we now have next to nothing, army, navy or air, but a few nukes, that tbh aren't what they used to be, as now everyone apart from my mum seems to have them, while she has everything else most of the time[:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
ojms

Post by ojms »

There is an Italian Merlin HEW which is effectively the same as what the UK will have with the Merlin Crowsnest project.

BTW apart from the AEW Sea King the UK has used in the past on the Invincible class, are there any other AEW aircraft currently available in the DB3000 database that can fly off a ski-jump equipped carrier?
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: ojms

There is an Italian Merlin HEW which is effectively the same as what the UK will have with the Merlin Crowsnest project.

Ah yes, indeed! Thanks

Return to “Tech Support”