Post Sicily movement

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

scout1

Post Sicily movement

Post by scout1 »

ok, gotta question ......

After clearing Sicily of the bad guys .... I have several units which I'm moving to Sicilian ports for movement elsewhere to prep for the mainland invasion only to be told port not big enough to load .... this appears to be stranding several divisions ..... What am I missing here ?
carlkay58

RE: Post Sicily movement

Post by carlkay58 »

Get rid of the Support Units - they can add considerable amounts of tonnage to your units. Also check to see the damage on the ports. A fully function level two port will be pretty much used up with an infantry division or two per turn (a level one can sometimes have problems with a single infantry division). Another trick is to break down the divisions into brigades/regiments and ship them out that way.

Essentially the message is that you have too much tonnage for the current port size. This is reduced by damage and previous shipping of supplies and units during the turn.
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

After you hit the transport unit button up top you will see a little green number in every port.

Basically it will be 15 times the port level...so a level 3 port will be 45.

This is the capacity of the port...and gets used up for every unit that embarks/debarks from the port.

If you look at a land unit (right click on the right hand bar to bring up the unit info) you will see Tranport cost. It will have two numbers xxxx/xxxx like so.

The first number is its shipping cost.

So a typical infantry division will be around 10,000 which translates as needing 10 of the port capacity.

So that level 3 port can move 4 divisions and have 5 (5000) left over.

A fully loaded HQ like AFHQ may have like a 70,000 cost. In other words it will need at least a level 5 port to load. (5*15=75)

An armour division is around 25,000 to 30,000. (going from memory here).

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Temp ports are unlimited on disembarkation, correct?

They are level 2 ports and have 30 points for loading.
If you consider using TFs to repair the level 1 and 2 ports on Sicily as you take them you'll have more capacity to get off the island.

You can also break units down to help maximize available port capacity. TFs prep faster with small units anyway...
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Seminole - while temp ports are unlimited on disembarkation for the first four turns or so (at least in my observation the unlimited cap seems to go away after a short while) they do have limits on embarkation.
decourcy2

Post by decourcy2 »

Seminole beat me to it, I found breaking units down is critical for Allied naval movement.
ReconMarineatsea

Post by ReconMarineatsea »

I moved Amphib back to Africa Ports but when I select target and scroll to Italy and click it doesnt show that the amphib has that targeted as a new landing spot? I cant figure out what I am missing?
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

The Amphib unit must be stacked with a legal invasion force in order to set the target hex. Also I believe it is a left click to select the hex. The hex should then turn red and a line going back to the Amphib unit should be drawn on the screen.
ReconMarineatsea

Post by ReconMarineatsea »

That works! Thanks

Return to “The War Room”