Ship repair can't be done in a shipyard?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jwolf

Ship repair can't be done in a shipyard?

Post by jwolf »

OK time for problem #2 in my current turn. I have a ship in a yard, it fits there, but the repair menu says that the repairs can't be completed there. What's wrong? [&:]
rustysi

RE: Ship repair can't be done in a shipyard?

Post by rustysi »

It depends on what you're trying to repair. Some guns, etc., need to be repaired at larger yards. Don't recall the parameters but that may be it. Any more detail might be of use, like damage levels and weapons destroyed. Alfred did a repair 101 that's amazing.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
CyrusSpitama

Post by CyrusSpitama »

Try this link for more repair details. tm.asp?m=2990845
"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." - Arthur C. Clarke
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

I think it's the system damage (i.e. destroyed guns) that is the problem. So I need a shipyard in a larger port?
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Good example - BB Prince of Wales gets one of her main guns damaged in Dec 42 and makes her way to Cape Town for repairs. The Repair Shipyard is plenty big enough to fit the PoW in, but the port is not big enough yet to fix guns. This port needs to be size 8 to fix her guns. It hasn't happened to me, but other players have seen this happen. Add this to Alfred's info and you will be in good shape.
[center]Image[/center]
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Either a large shipyard or larger port- so yes. I assume it's probably a CV or BB maybe a CA you're trying to fix??? If so you'll probably need to send it to one of the major home ports w/ a large shipyard (size 30+) For a CA/CL/DD you might can get it fixed at a large port size 6+ like Nouema or Truk if it has an AR in it. Screenshots of damage you're trying to fix as well as where you're trying to fix it can help us greatly in letting you know what you need to do
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Ship is CA Australia, got hit by a torpedo. "Destroyed guns" doesn't really make sense but SYS seems to be the sticking point. Pic below if I can do this right.

Edit: For clarity, the red text under Weapons says 256X.
Attachments
WITPrepair.jpg
WITPrepair.jpg (92.74 KiB) Viewed 90 times
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

AFAIK all sys damage can be repaired in just about any size port although in the smaller ones it'll take forever. NS devices will help repair faster, too. Can't really read what's there, but it looks like your problem is a destroyed weapon. Click on the ships' name (maybe double click) to drill down and get more info on the Australia itself and post that.

BTW that link above has all you wanted to know about ship repair, but were afraid to ask.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

jwolf

Post by jwolf »

How can a torpedo destroy a topside gun?

I'll get a pic of the Australia itself in a moment.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yep, put here pierside and get the sys damage down another 20 points or so and then move her to Sidney. Looks like you just moved the other two ships out of the yard. If so you are over stacked for tonnage at Brisbane and that will slow things down dramatically. Repair only DD or smaller and subs at Brisbane. It is a level 10 shipyard
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

OK here is CA Australia. 2 of the 8 in guns are knocked out.

Attachments
WITPCAAus.jpg
WITPCAAus.jpg (107.04 KiB) Viewed 90 times
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

The previous day I moved the other 2 ships out of the yard specifically to make room for the Australia.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

No, the guns are most likely what's holding you up. I would recommend that you leave her where she is as the other damage is pretty heavy and will be repaired where she is. Then you could move her to a base that'll do the guns. Check that link I'm sure the info on the gun repair is in there.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Maybe not directly, but by destroying the guns' support, magazine, etc. Critical hit? Hey, its a game sh... stuff happens.[&:]

CowboyRonin

Post by CowboyRonin »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Maybe not directly, but by destroying the guns' support, magazine, etc. Critical hit? Hey, its a game sh... stuff happens.[&:]

Shock - remember, the turrets for main guns go way down in the hull. I was looking at a picture of North Carolina after she was torpedoes off Guadalcanal - the shock from the explosion jammed the door at the base of one of the main guns, locking the turret in place. The turret was still there, but it couldn't rotate and was probably (the book doesn't say) considered inoperative at the time. It may not technically be as hard to repair as replacing all of the guns, but for terms of the ship performance, the effect is pretty similar. If a torpedo got even closer to the base of a turret, I could see it doing enough damage to force the entire turret assembly to be replaced.
Matrix forum liaison to Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager team
WitW/WitE2 Alpha tester
Malagant

Post by Malagant »

That was a test of the new Japanese pop-up torpedo...it closes in to the target then pops up out of the water and slams down on the deck. I call this test a resounding success!!

Here's the blurb from Alfred's post that details the Weapon Repair stuff:
7. Cost of Repairs

Ship repairs are paid for in the currency of “repair points”. The actual amount it will cost in “repair points” to effect a repair is dependent on whether it is a WR or an IR. Accordingly I separate “weapon repair point” (“WRP”) from “integrity repair point” (“IRP”).

For weapons, the actual cost in WRP is dependent on the type of weapon which needs to be repaired. A sliding scale cost is applicable to guns, all other weapon types have a fixed cost dependent on weapon type. These costs are detailed in table A.

Table A: Weapon Repair Costs

Rockets (all types) cost 50 WRP
Radars and ASW detectors cost 90 WRP
Mines and Torpedoes cost 120 WRP
Guns cost WRP equal to the effect value of the gun

Exemplar A: the 16in/50 Mk 7 gun has an effect of 2700, hence the cost in WRP = 2700. The WRP cost to repair a 20mm Oerlikon AA gun is 15.

As can be seen, the WRP cost for weapons is quite easy to determine in advance. Repairing guns (which are all other weapons other than rockets, radars/ASW detectors, mines and torpedoes) is slightly more complicated in as much the repair bill is affected by the size of the gun, represented by the effect of the gun. Bigger guns consume more WRP. Full details of the effect of each gun are found in the “in game” ship database (short cut key <V>).

All IR have a fixed cost of 100 IRP to remove 1 POD. Thus if a ship has 12 flotation, 6 engine and 9 system damage, it has a total of 27 POD and therefore the total number of IRP needed to fully repair the ship will be 2700.

In terms of IRP costs, repairing “major” damage is not more expensive than repairing “normal” damage. You still need 100 IRP to remove 1 major POD. However the conditions to be met for the repair of “major” POD is much more restrictive than those for repairing “normal” POD. Section 11 deals with the expertise needed to remove “major” damage.

8. Weapon Repair Point Sources

WRP are generated by only three sources:

• Shipyards
• Tenders
• Ports

These WRP are generated at a different rate than IRP are generated. Hence it is possible for a ship to have all of its IR damage repaired but still have its weapons unrepaired because the IR were effected at a location which lacked suitable facilities for WR.

It is very important to realise that WRP do not accumulate over turns. There is no WRP stockpile. A weapon will not be repaired if the ship has been sent to a WRP source which each turn generates fewer WRP than the amount needed to repair the weapon.

Table B: WRP generated by shipyards, ports and tenders for weapon repairs

(Shipyard size x 20) [NB: there is a maximum cap of 300 on shipyard size]
(Tenders generate a fixed 250 WRP)
(Port size x 25)

Exemplar B: As seen in table A, the WRP cost to repair a single 16in/50 Mk 7 gun is 2700. Only a shipyard sized 135 will generate sufficient WRP in a turn to repair a single 16in/50 Mk 7 gun. If the damaged weapon were instead a torpedo which requires only 120 WRP, the repair could be effected at a shipyard sized 6 or alternatively by an appropriate tender for the type of vessel or alternatively at a port sized 5.

Note the WRP listed in table B are from undamaged facilities. A shipyard sized 10 which generates 200 WRP if undamaged, will only generate 100 WRP if the shipyard is 50% damaged. A port sized 4 which is 75% damaged will generate only 25 WRP instead of the 100 WRP it would generate if not damaged.

Tracker says the Effect of the 8in/50 Mk VIII is 256, which seems pretty low, I'd think Brisbane would have enough WRP between the SY and the Port to get that much. :(

Good luck with the repair. Rest assured there will be only minimal attempts by IJN Submarines to intercept her on her way to Sydney!

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

Sydney has more capacity than Brisbane.
I've repaired BB's and CV's there but I can't remember how much damage they had.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Destroyed devices are always reported as a component of system damage.

That's why the pound/number sign appears after the system damage in the ship repair interface.
Hans

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

This ship still has three operational turrets left. What is not to like?
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

This ship still has three operational turrets left. What is not to like?

Well, the 67 flood damage for starters. [:'(] It was actually over 80 immediately after the fish hit.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”