ELINT Airplane

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Felcas

ELINT Airplane

Post by Felcas »

I have this Boeing seven zero seven three five one C* ELINT in my scenario and despite my superficial knowledge on what an ELINT is, I would like to ask what exactly is the purpose and real effects of an ELINT airplane on CMANO and how to properly use it. Thanks a lot.

*(cant type in the number, the forum system is rejecting my message as he things it is a phone number or something)
Felcas

RE: ELINT Airplane

Post by Felcas »

forum problems
dandin384

Post by dandin384 »

ELINT allows you to pick up when and where (Often with an associated area of uncertainty unless you have multiple ELINT platforms) other units in the scenario are using their radars. The advantage of a plane lies in its ability to see further over the horizon and its increased mobility compared to a land based or sea based ELINT platform.
Stacker1010

Post by Stacker1010 »

From my limited experience I find ELINT aircraft help to build up a richer picture of all hostile emitters (be it airborne or ground). I think when I was running the Iron Hand scenario I had a couple of ELINT aircraft working at the same time (separated by some distance). This provided more accurate triangulated fixes on some of the mobile SAM sites. I had the feeling that the area of uncertainty of some of these contacts reduced dramatically once I'd got a good separation between my ELINT aircraft. Only way to be sure would be to contrive a test scenario with/without those aircraft flying and see what effects it has on the overall picture.
travcrouse

Post by travcrouse »

In the Canary's Cage scenario, the ELINT plane seems to give you a little bit more "situational awareness"..
Lpmikeboy

Post by Lpmikeboy »

In Operation Lightning Strike the US forces have 4 ELINT aircraft, usually I keep two south of Pakistan in the gulf, while two fly north of Pakistan, based out of Bagram AFB to triangulate the positions of Pakistani radar
magi

Post by magi »

ELINT:
noun
the gathering of military or other intelligence through the monitoring of electronic signals other than voice communications, as satellite transmissions, rocket telemetry, and radar.

ELINT units are extreemly useful... Airborne capable ELINT platforms can discover approximate locations of emitting units beyond the horizon and beyond the range of radar…. ELINT Is a passive form of gathering intelligence… Without themselves admitting energy thereby giving their position away… By using multiple ELINT capable units with separation you can gather a more accurate picture of your area of operation… it is also effective at considerable ranges....

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”