Thinking about buying (Noob question)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

m10bob

RE: Thinking about buying (Noob question)

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: jamus34

ORIGINAL: Mundy

I'm thankful I grew up on UV back in '02.  It let me grow into it fairly easily.

80% of this game is getting stuff shipped from one spot to another.
I think I read it in a book somewhere (probably a novel, don't shoot me) that an amateur talks about strategy a veteran talks logistics

Jamus...I forgot to mention...Time constraints are one of your concerns....Well, YOU have the ability to choose how long each turn is to a large extent by how elaborate you wish to have the computer playback the actual days activities..My turns last approx 20 minutes per day (including my slow planning), and I just see no reason to see all the aerial fights displayed since the results of ALL combat are kept track of by the teletype at the end of the day..(Buttons at the top will give all the info from Combat Results to just Intel in general..)

Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Re: what M10Bob just said about time . . . remember though that he has been playing the game for years. When you first start it might take a very long time just to "play" one turn in one of the smaller scenarios, much less the Grand Campaign.

In my case, I used to play WiTP against the AI a good bit 5 or more years ago. I also played War Plan Orange against the AI a good bit. I would say that after a couple years of playing those I was 'competent' against the AI, well . . . I could kick his ass! so maybe more than competent [:D] I bought WiTPAE but just didn't get into immediately after it came out; various things. AE is a lot different than WiTP, but I at least had solid familiarity with 75% of the engine and content in AE or something like that I'd guess.

Coming back to get into AE and dive into a PBEM this past couple weeks: it took me about 30 hours of browsing my opening turn, making a click or two, consulting the manual, consulting the forums, searching the wiki or google, etc. to get just a couple turns done. I'm sure as I progress it will speed up a lot. Someone recently said they could finish the "Allied Turn 1" of the Grand Campaign in about 8 hours and they had "lots of practice at restarting."
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Anthro, you need to come back and join our weekly SOW games damn you.......................we need some Div commanders. Corps commanders we got, but really need a couple Div commanders.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: Mundy

I'm thankful I grew up on UV back in '02.  It let me grow into it fairly easily.

80% of this game is getting stuff shipped from one spot to another.
I think I read it in a book somewhere (probably a novel, don't shoot me) that an amateur talks about strategy a veteran talks logistics

War in the Pacific - Accountant's Edition [:D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
Like they say "No pain, no gain," and in the case of WiTPAE

I remember when me and Hooter played our first PBEM, I was allies and had to turtle well into late 1943. If you can imagine one turn a day, it took us almost 6-8 months before I could even attempt anything. I almost got bored with the game, literally spending months waiting and waiting...and my gamble paid off, Hooter was just learning the Japanese industry, at the same time we had a second PBEM going where I was playing the Japanese.. Such good friend he was, any industrial question I had; he answered. We were both beginners in the PBEM games then, and haven't played anyone so it was a great match up.

I made a friend for life; unfortunately Hooter passed this year :(
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

Sorry to hear about your loss MC.

So I took the leap and ordered the hard copy version of WitP:AE last night. Got it downloaded but didn't get a chance to do much. I'll try to start reading the manual tonight and get started on this journey. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be up for trying some PBEM
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Sorry to hear about your loss MC.

So I took the leap and ordered the hard copy version of WitP:AE last night. Got it downloaded but didn't get a chance to do much. I'll try to start reading the manual tonight and get started on this journey. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be up for trying some PBEM

Welcome new friend...
Since the game was released, improvements (patches) have been coming out to improve the game and to fix any problems we players might have deemed as "problems"..
I know of no other game firm which allows so much input from its' players.

As improvements have been made, some things in the manual may have been made redundant, or otherwise wrong.
The forum is the perfect place to get serious help on these issues..
Go to "The Members Area" of the forums for the patches for the game....Gosh, the latest was JUST released a number of days ago, (thanks to Michael)..

cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

But one thing is important, you need to really have an interest in the Pacific war and the details in it.
I've to disagree. I'm never interested in the Pacific War, but I searched for a WWII air/naval game, and I find this forum. I took the plunge and now, after 3 years of continuous play I'm feel like Yamamoto and feel Pacific like a home (a home that need to be conquered [:D]).

And about the details...oh, I love the details, I love lost myself in the detail.

Best game ever, and I'm not a "Matrix fanboy", just a satisfied customer.

And now I must go, there's too much Essex class around, we need to do something. Yes, but what? [8D]
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

Here's a pretty dumb question, what's the best way to get started?
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

WitP:AE is a very large operational level game. You do get a lot of involvement in each battle, but there is a certain amount of logistics to deal with too.

For some people AE is the most addictive game they have ever picked up. It's overwhelming popularity here is testament to that. For some other people, it would probably drive them crazy.

It is a very detailed game (possibly the most detailed computer war game ever made), but IMO, it's very rewarding too if you take the time to plumb its depths.

Bill
"....,but there is a certain of logistics to deal with..."
Thank you Captain Understatment.[:D]
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
alanschu

Post by alanschu »

Here's a pretty dumb question, what's the best way to get started?

Honestly, I jumped right in (though with non-Admiral's Edition) with the Allies. The blunders and mistakes I made in the first 6-12 months seemed to put me in a place where I was losing a lot, then I got reinforcements and understood the game better and then was able to turn the tide! Haha.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I did play few turns of small scen (in original WitP) and then straight to Grand Campaign! [:D]

You'll manage when remembering that you don't have to do and know everything right away. There are still things I discover that were new to me after what, 10+ yrs of playing (from publishing of original WitP, got it as Xmas gift 2004). [8D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”